What's new

Lightest OS

Wait, how come you're asking this on a Pakistani forum? Of all people, CaptainJackSparrow!

To the point, Windows Vista should do. Uses very little RAM and processor. Even better than Ubuntu.

I have seen Windows 7 Ultimate installed on netbooks :lol: (Performance not good though)

there is a Linux distro for this purpose. it is called Antix Mepis:
http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Plus point is, it is Debian based. -ve is, it uses lightweight window managers like icewm.
Minimum requirements for antiX

1.3 GB free space on the hard disk
64 MB RAM plus swap
Pentium II CPU (Does not boot with AMD K5/K6)
antiX-M11-screenshot3.jpg

Have you heard of the Live USB option?

If your PC has USB 2.0 slots then you can have an entire linux distrubution (microsoft plans to introduce it with WIndows 8) installed on your USB. You can boot, run and make changes from your live USB while keeping your original OS on the Hardrive

Fedora, Sugar on Stick, Ubuntu and Knoppix offer this option among others

linux based system only to use if you are going to do some programming.

I would advice Windows only if you want to use Photoshop, MS Office or Visual Studio. Linux can do everything else fine

Windows xp? Your configuration will run xp pretty smooth.

Ya but it's running too slow of late. I want to try a really slimmed down OS with decent s/w support.

Try a clean install of Win XP if you have no important data on your PC (or back up your data then clean install)

Any suggestions please?

Following is the config. of my vintage PC
1. Intel motherboard, P4 2.4 Gig
2. 1GB RAM
3. Inbuilt Graphics
4. 80GB HDD

Dreamlinux is the Answer.

www.dreamlinux.net

I get this message: The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
but don't worry they'll be back later on.

Puppy linux is the answer. Also look at Damn Small Linux. If you wanna go the Windows route, go for XP.

Stay away from Ubuntu, or Fedora.

Puppy linux is the answer. Also look at Damn Small Linux. If you wanna go the Windows route, go for XP.

Stay away from Ubuntu, or Fedora.

XP is still slow compared to linux, sleek, clean and fast would either be dreamlinux or linux mint.

it would be a nightmare configuring wifi dongle in Linux.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Ya but it's running too slow of late. I want to try a really slimmed down OS with decent s/w support.

Do a format of C drive, back up your datas in some other drive. XP gets slow after a while.

simply use ubuntu, i really love ubuntu great os and a great alternative of win7

it would be a nightmare configuring wifi dongle in Linux.

Do check if your USB dongle has a driver for Linux from Belkin (if you are taking the Linux option instead of reinstalling Win XP)

Go for Ubuntu. Plenty of support available for it on the web. Its definitely not the lightest, but its pretty light and powerful at the same time. You may think you don't need to do anything else on it right now but things come up. Go for Ubuntu and use the lighter interface.

Back
Top Bottom