What's new

Lightest OS

Reaction score
Country
India
Hey guys.

So I'm lookin' for an extremely lightweight OS for my old desktop. My primary requirement are as follows:

1. It should be able to run java and flash (youtube).
2. It should be able to set up wireless networks using my Belkin USB dongle.
3. Browse the web, of course.

I'm thinking of getting UBUNTU.

Any suggestions please?

Following is the config. of my vintage PC

1. Intel motherboard, P4 2.4 Gig
2. 1GB RAM
3. Inbuilt Graphics
4. 80GB HDD

Chromium OS from google.

google-chrome-os-screenshots-1.png

screen_shot.jpg

Try damn small linux

Features

The current version of DSL is 4.4.10, released November 18, 2008. DSL currently includes the following software:

Text editors: Beaver, Nano, Vim
File managers: DFM, emelFM
Graphics: mtPaint (raster graphics editor), xzgv (image viewer)
Multimedia: gphone, XMMS with MPEG-1 and VCD support
Office: SIAG (spreadsheet program), Ted (word processor) with spell checker, Xpdf (viewer for PDF documents)
Internet:
Web browsers: Dillo, Firefox, Netrik
Sylpheed (E-mail client)
naim (AIM, ICQ, and IRC client)
AxyFTP (FTP client,, BetaFTPD (FTP server)
Monkey (web server)
SMB client
Rdesktop (RDP client), VNC viewer
Others: DHCP client, SSH/SCP client and server; PPP, PPPoE, ADSL support; FUSE, NFS, SSHFS support; UnionFS; generic/Ghostscript printing support; PC card, USB, Wi-Fi support; calculator, games, system monitor; many command-line tools

DSL has built-in scripts to download and install Advanced Packaging Tool (APT). Once APT is enabled, the user can install packages from Debian's repositories. Additionally, DSL hosts software ranging from large applications like OpenOffice.org and GCC, to smaller ones such as aMSN, by means of the "MyDSL" system, which allows convenient one-click download and installation of software. Files hosted on MyDSL are called "extensions". As of June 2008, the MyDSL servers were hosting over 900 applications, plugins, and other extensions.

===========

With ths specs you mentioned I think you can run a full blown LINUX version
Why a light weight one ?

You can try:

Lucid Puppy (Ubuntu-Compatible Build)

Size: 129MB

Puppy Linux Community - Home

How is Puppy Different?

Small size, ~100MB! This lends itself to some very useful and unique features.
'Live' booting from CDs, DVDs, USB flash drives, and other portable media.
Runs from RAM, making it unusually fast even in old PCs and in netbooks with solid state storage media.

Very low minimum system requirements.

Boot time is well under a minute, 30-40 seconds in most systems.
Includes a wide range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games, image editors and many utilities. Extra software in the form of dotpets. There is a GUI Puppy Software Installer included.

Puppy is easy to use and little technical knowledge is assumed. Most hardware is automatically detected.

For USB Dungle: You have to collect source code/firmware and manually install that.

I use this OS.

Try android. My netbook came pre-installed with android for PC and windows 7 home basic edition. For light usage for browsing the internet etc. android is damn fast. Also, plenty of free apps available.
Netbook-with-Android-300x223.jpg

Try android. My netbook came pre-installed with android for PC and windows 7 home basic edition.

I don't know but though Android supports keyboards it is more geared towards touch screens.
Google's keyboard OS is Chrome OS

Microsoft even ridiculed Google that they need 2 OSes for two different types of machines

There are plans by Google to combine Android and Chrome OS in the future

windows 7 basic,linux based system only to use if you are going to do some programming.

PC 2006/2007 main liya tha kya??This config used to be available at that time.

XUBUNTU linux if more light Crunchbang linux or Puppylinux or one of its pupplet if even more lighter Slitaz linux, if nothing suits you than you may try Free Dos 1.1

Back
Top Bottom