What's new

Life of Pi gets 11 Oscar Nominations!!!!

People say its good to watch in 3D. All the effects are worth in 3D only. Haven't seen it yet and its off the screen in my city. :cry:

I always go for 3D nowadays. I figure, why not? You're already there at the cinema, why not go for 3D as well?

Proves the racism theory in Oscar, If an Indian makes a film on India than it is next to impossible to get it into the oscars while the same script with a Western directors/producers does wonders in Oscars. Personally i din't understood why Slumdog millionaire deserved it & Lagaan din't.

Proves the racism theory in Oscar, If an Indian makes a film on India than it is next to impossible to get it into the oscars while the same script with a Western directors/producers does wonders in Oscars. Personally i din't understood why Slumdog millionaire deserved it & Lagaan din't.

I'm not disagreeing, but in this case the director is Ang Lee.

Proves the racism theory in Oscar, If an Indian makes the same film than it is next to impossible to get it into the oscars while the same script with a Western directors/producers does wonders in Oscars. Personally i din't understood why Slumdog millionaire deserved it & Lagaan din't.
Nope. You have to screen, market the movie so that all the people involved in judging process knows and understand your film. With Lagaan, many thought, English were good guys but since they lost a match, they have to leave the village. They didn't know the emotions of people of India.

Lagaan lost to No Man's Land, watch it, all have knowledge of No Man's Land scenarios in many wars and in many countries.

Look at Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, it got 4 Oscars. See its all about how good is your lobby.

Slumdog provided a platform for talent like A.R. Rehman and he took 2 Oscars, There are many actors and directors who have given block buster movies, yet no Oscar.

I'm not disagreeing, but in this case the director is Ang Lee.

Ang Lee - Taiwanese-born American film director, screenwriter and producer.

Film is based on Yann Martel's 2001 novel, who is a Canadian author.

I hope u are getting what i am trying to say......

Actually you are not getting it.

BTW, among serious and senior people, Oscars doesn't mean that much. Most people consider Oscars important because it is so famous. Otherwise the other awards like one from AFI is considered more respectable.

I guess so.

Anyway, the Oscars is for English-language films. There is only one category for foreign-language films and out it's mostly an afterthought.

what a worthless comment.
Find something better to do with your life than troll.

Why are you even interacting with internet hindus................:lol:
Tell this to your own countrymen who belittle every Indian Acheivement......

The movie is nice, a bit too slow for me. Agree with @Sashan could have been made shorter.

To the pakistani gentlemen unable to control their emotions - to paraphrase from the life of pi - ''which story do you prefer, believe that''.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an Indian connection in 4 films with 36 Oscar nominations

India is making its presence felt at the Oscars with four of the films with the highest number of nominations having a connection to the country, and Chennai-based classical Carnatic music vocalist Jayashri Ramnath being nominated for writing the Tamil song 'Pi's Lullaby' for director Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi'.

Ramnath, known on the concert circuit as Bombay Jayashri, shares the nomination for 'Best Original Song' with Canadian music director Mychael Danna, who has also been nominated for 'Best Original Score' for the same movie. Writing the song was easy, said the singer. "What I wrote is something every mother has on her lips when she cuddles her child," said Jayashri about the short song that uses simple words to show a mother's affection for her child.

Large parts of Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi' and Kathryn Bigelow's 'Zero Dark Thirty', which are up against each other for the 2013 Academy Award for Best Picture, were shot in India. The announcements were made in Los Angeles on Thursday.

Steven Spielberg's American civil war saga 'Lincoln', which leads the pack with 12 nominations, including best director, actor and supporting actress, comes from the Reliance-DreamWorks stable. A very pleased Anil Ambani said, "We are incredibly proud to have partnered with Steven Spielberg and Stacey Snider in the making of 'Lincoln'. I congratulate them and the great cast and crew for the 12 Oscar nominations."

'Life of Pi', which received 11 nominations, has an almost entirely Indian cast, led by Sooraj Sharma, and is set in Puducherry (formerly Pondicherry) till it shifts to the churning seas.

In Chandigarh's crowded Manimajra market, shopkeepers were thrilled to hear that Bigelow's film is in the running for five Academy Awards. Last year, Manimajra was camouflaged to look like Abbotabad in Pakistan for the film which chronicles the last days of Osama bin Laden. Storefronts were given Urdu signs, autorickshaws were painted with Pakistani registration plates, and a number of shopkeepers got walk-on parts.

Though his name isn't on the list, Bollywood actor Anupam Kher is thrilled because the film in which he plays a doctor, 'Silver Linings Playbook' has got eight nominations. "I am proud that I can share the excitement with the spectacular cast and crew of 'Silver Linings Playbook'," Kher said.

India has had its time in the arc lights at the Oscars in the past with Bhanu Athaiya sharing an award for costume design for 'Gandhi' in 1982, and Satyajit Ray being given an honorary award in 1992. Till date, though, 2008 remains India's finest moment at the Oscars with music director and composer A R Rahman, sound engineer Resul Pookutty and lyricist Gulzar receiving awards for the film 'Slumdog Millionaire'.

'Silver Linings' in race, Kher thrilled

In Chandigarh's crowded Manimajra market, shopkeepers were thrilled to hear that Bigelow's film is in the running for five Academy Awards. Last year, Manimajra was camouflaged to look like Abbottabad in Pakistan for the film which chronicles the last days of Osama bin Laden. Storefronts were given Urdu signs, autorickshaws were painted with Pakistani registration plates, and a number of shopkeepers got walk-on parts.

Though his name isn't on the list, Bollywood actor Anupam Kher is thrilled because the film in which he plays a doctor, "Silver Linings Playbook" has got eight nominations. "I am proud that I can share the excitement with the spectacular cast and crew of "Silver Linings Playbook"," Kher said.

India has had its time in the arc lights at the Oscars in the past with Bhanu Athaiya sharing an award for costume design for "Gandhi" in 1982, and Satyajit Ray being given an honorary award in 1992.

Till date, though, 2008 remains India's finest moment at the Oscars with music director and composer A R Rahman, sound engineer Resul Pookutty and lyricist Gulzar receiving awards for the film "Slumdog Millionaire".

oscars have become a joke

I am honest to God not trolling but don't you guys feel strange taking pride in a book written by a Canadian and a movie made in America?

The only link it has to India is that the background of the main character is Indian.

I-see-your-jealousy.gif

51gPQu9m1WL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS500_.jpg

sir i have no jealousy, its a film by a taiwanese director, its has as little of an indian as can be, my point is many good movies deserved a good number of nominations but they didnt, but life of pi seems a movie with animal, animated movies dont get such huge number of nominations

Back
Top Bottom