What's new

Libya to help ease Egypt crisis with $1.2bn oil deal

BLACKEAGLE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Jordan

Libya will soon start shipping oil to neighboring Egypt on soft credit terms, two senior Libyan officials said, as Cairo struggles to pay for energy imports and avoid fuel shortages.

The officials told Reuters that Tripoli would supply Cairo with $1.2 billion worth of crude at world prices but on interest free credit for a year, with the first cargo expected to arrive next month.

Egypt has slid into economic crisis since president Hosni Mubarak was overthrown two years ago.

Most international companies have reduced oil product supplies to the country fearing non-payments, as the government tries to curb soaring energy subsidy costs which swallow up a fifth of its budget.
Libya plans to ship one to two cargoes a month for refining in Egypt under a deal that involves 12 million barrels of crude over 12 months, the oil industry officials said.

With foreign currency reserves running low, Egypt has not bought any crude on the open market since January. In rough terms the Libyan deal would be worth slightly more than half its 2012 imports, which the central bank put at $2 billion.

"Their situation is very bad, and if necessary they can take up to a year to pay (for each delivery)," said one of the Libyan officials.

Libyan authorities themselves face a daily struggle to keep services running and take control of a country awash with weapons looted from the arsenal of Muammar Gaddafi, who was toppled in 2011.
But the official said Libya could not shy away from helping an important trading partner. "If you are a good neighbor and something is wrong with your neighbor, you will not feel comfortable with yourself. It's human nature," he said.

Cairo has so far failed to agree a $4.8 billion loan deal with the International Monetary Fund and has sought help from energy producing countries in the region and beyond.
Tripoli has already deposited $2 billion at the Egyptian central bank and Qatar has announced $8 billion in loans, grants and other deposits since Islamist President Mohamed Mursi was elected last June.

Libya's National Oil Corporation (NOC) declined immediate comments on the details of the deal, although one of the oil industry officials said it would supply Sirteca, the cheapest of all the country's grades. "Shipments will be sold at world prices," said the second Libyan official.

An official at the Egyptian oil ministry confirmed some of the deal's terms. "(It will be) one million barrels a month and deferred payment for 12 months without interest starting from the first half of May, God willing," the official told Reuters.

However, the official maintained that the two sides were still discussing the kind of crude oil to be supplied and how long the shipments would last. The Libyan officials said that if the first cargo was sent next month as planned, they would last until April 2014.

The Libyan deal should ease the problems of Egypt, which owes at least $5 billion to oil companies, half of it overdue.

Cairo aims to raise prices of subsidized energy gradually, bringing them close to world levels in four years, to reduce the burden on its huge budget deficit. In the short term, it wants to avoid arousing more social unrest by ensuring energy supplies during the approaching summer when energy consumption peaks.

Libya has already shown willingness to step back into it sold role as North Africa's version of a Gulf petro-state by using cash to open doors.

Libya's new rulers authorized a payment of almost $200 million to Mauritania after it extradited Gaddafi's former spy chief Abdullah al-Senussi last year, although they later denied there was a quid pro quo.

Diplomats and analysts have also suggested Libya's growing support may help persuade Egypt to hand over Gaddafi's cousin Ahmed Gaddaf Alddam, who was arrested in Cairo in March.
Egypt sent two other ex-Gaddafi officials to Libya last month but barred the extradition of Gaddaf Alddam, who is claiming Egyptian citizenship. Libya is appealing the Egyptian court ruling.

Libya to help ease Egypt crisis with $1.2bn oil deal - Alarabiya.net English | Front Page

A kind and wise move on the Libyan side. Hopefully, Jordan will get the same too. Libyans appreciate the Jordanian efforts these days.

A kind and wise move on the Libyan side. Hopefully, Jordan will get the same too. Libyans appreciate the Jordanian efforts these days.

Bro, I always ask myself this, why didn't KSA participate in NATO & Arab coalition attacking Qaadafi militias?

Bro, I always ask myself this, why didn't KSA participate in NATO & Arab coalition attacking Qaadafi militias?

Our blueprint is not to attack any country. Give me a name of a single war the Saudis waged? :D

Plus, Let just be truthful, we never had a good relation with Ghadaf's, it was a very marriage since we met him from the first day. Ghadaf's arrogance and poor attitude was never met on the Saudi's side.

We aren't stupid, the moment the Russians and the Chinese abstained the vote on military action, we knew Ghadafi is gone, we could have paid back ,but it's not in our nature.

FYI, Ghadafi was the cash-cow for Alqedea in Yemen ,and Iraq and the Islamic Maghreb too.

Our blueprint is not to attack any country. Give me a name of a single war the Saudis waged? :D

Plus, Let just be truthful, we never had a good relation with Ghadaf's, it was a very marriage since we met him from the first day. Ghadaf's arrogance and poor attitude was never met on the Saudi's side.
I know about your bad relations with him, he actually was jealous to death of KSA political and religious clout :lol:, he even thought of fragmenting KSA into two states. Bro, I see you saying that KSA never waged a war against any country, forgetting about KSA contribution in most Israel-Arab wars. King Abdullah was going to change KSA policy upside down against USA due to it's support to Israeli brutality in 2000, and he sent a harsh message to George W Bush, but this was changed because of 11/9 attacks as KSA was under overwhelming media attacks and serious threat of isolation.
We aren't stupid, the moment the Russians and the Chinese abstained the vote on military action, we knew Ghadafi is gone, we could have paid back ,but it's not in our nature.

FYI, Ghadafi was the cash-cow for Alqedea in Yemen ,and Iraq and the Islamic Maghreb too.
Not new, Qaddafi Like Assad, the most who used to support it but when it's comes to their rules they are the most who whine over it's threat.

@Yzd Khalifa

Pls, KSA made it clear that it would be the spear head of any international military action against SAA.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Yzd Khalifa

Pls, KSA made it clear that it would be the spear head of any international military action against SAA.

What is the greater plan in all this anyways ?
Bring all sunni arab states close to each other in some organization ?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the greater plan in all this anyways ?
Bring all sunni arab states close to each other in some organization ?
Has nothing to do with what I said, but:

There is already an organisation which is AL, not as efficient as it should be, true, but it's doing fine, maybe not for Iraq, but it did great regarding Libya and Syria if you ask me. However, I know that KSA is keen to get Arabs together. Don't forget GCC expansion.

Has nothing to do with what I said, but:

There is already an organisation which is AL, not as efficient as it should be, true, but it's doing fine, maybe not for Iraq, but it did great regarding Libya and Syria if you ask me. However, I know that KSA is keen to get Arabs together. Don't forget GCC expansion.

What do you mean with "AL"

Despite GCC being for the gulf it seems like they are inviting everyone, Kuwait invited Iraq, now they want to include Egypt, Jordan, Morocco.Egypt has good chances of joining GCC as a member state: official

So it is just going to replace the Arab league then ? if almost all Arab countries are getting invited, id like some more information if youd know.

Despite GCC being for the gulf it seems like they are inviting everyone, Kuwait invited Iraq, now they want to include Egypt, Jordan, Morocco.Egypt has good chances of joining GCC as a member state: official

So it is just going to replace the Arab league then ? if almost all Arab countries are getting invited, id like some more information if youd know.
AL=Arab League
To be honest with you it's hard to trust all Arab countries in a proven successful GCC as they have differences on several issues. I really doubt the seriousness in inviting Iraq into the GCC though. Having regional alliances doesn't mean replacing AL, as you know Arabs made four regional groups amongest themselves in the 80s as a response to GCC formation, Egypt and Sudan block, Magreb countries block, GCC, Iraq, Jordan, and Yemen block, nevertheless, they didn't replace AL.

i dont think this will work my opinion is Egypt should be closer to north african countries
map_africa_northern_01.gif

Back
Top Bottom