What's new

Letter by scholar Mannan Wani on why he chose to pick up gun

If they don't like us, they're free to leave. It's disappointing, but we won't stop them. You don't hang around a party you don't like. Our land stays though.

Wrong. It's their land, not yours. They live in it, not you. You cannot expect someone to leave their home just because you want it.

Wrong. It's their land, not yours. They live in it, not you. You cannot expect someone to leave their home just because you want it.
Our land. Our home. India is in control of that territory and India is the one that administers it. If they are adamant to not be a part of us, they are free to go elsewhere unharmed. But they can't have our land.

Our land. Our home. India is in control of that territory and India is the one that administers it. If they are adamant to not be a part of us, they are free to go elsewhere unharmed. But they can't have our land.

No, it's Kashmiri land and the home of Kashmiri's. They are substantially significant to the rest of Hindustan in terms of ancestry, religion and phenotype among other things.

It will always belong to the people who inhabit Kashmir, and inshallah your government and military will be punished for their crimes.

This status quo in Kashmir between India and Pakistan will go on for decades, until the concept of nation states fades away, and countries come together to form borderless unions on the basis of the EU. No side can give up.

In the meantime, Kashmiris on both sides will suffer.

I neither said partition was unnecessary nor did I say the British were responsible for partition.
I said the way partition was carried out was botched and could've been done better, maybe in a way that didn't leave Kashmir in the situation it is now.
Brits or no brits, if you accept the principles of partition than who do you think has a stronger claim over the state of J&K(if you accept is as one unit or else for each different unit). I think UN resolutions on Kashmir are in line with those principles.

No, it's Kashmiri land and the home of Kashmiri's. They are substantially significant to the rest of Hindustan in terms of ancestry, religion and phenotype among other things.

It will always belong to the people who inhabit Kashmir, and inshallah your government and military will be punished for their crimes.
Significance implies relevance when compared with something else of a personal nature. What is significant to you doesn't matter to me and vice versa. I don't see how 'significance' will have any effect on the Indian position on Kashmir.

Who's gonna punish us?

Brits or no brits, if you accept the principles of partition than who do you think has a stronger claim over the state of J&K(if you accept is as one unit or else for each different unit). I think UN resolutions on Kashmir are in line with those principles.
Principles of partition were, simplified:
  • Muslim areas for Pakistan
  • Hindu and other areas for India
  • Princely states can decide if they wanna join either one or remain independent.
The third option pretty much leaves the decisions to the ruling figure. Since Kashmir was a princely state, the decision would automatically fall to the king for him to do as he pleases.

Now you could argue that as a Hindu king reigning over a Muslim population, his decisions would be unfair to his citizens as it represents his personal choice and not the best interest of his people, but that would bring us back to my earlier argument of the botched up partition.

Significance implies relevance when compared with something else of a personal nature. What is significant to you doesn't matter to me and vice versa. I don't see how 'significance' will have any effect on the Indian position on Kashmir.

Who's gonna punish us?

Principles of partition were, simplified:
  • Muslim areas for Pakistan
  • Hindu and other areas for India
  • Princely states can decide if they wanna join either one or remain independent.
The third option pretty much leaves the decisions to the ruling figure. Since Kashmir was a princely state, the decision would automatically fall to the king for him to do as he pleases.

Now you could argue that as a Hindu king reigning over a Muslim population, his decisions would be unfair to his citizens as it represents his personal choice and not the best interest of his people, but that would bring us back to my earlier argument of the botched up partition.
Botched up should have been rectified by the concerned parties, it's not like brits were shoving it down your throat. By the virtue of that argument the states of Junagarh and Hyderabad should have been allowed to join Pakistan.

God doesn't let oppressors go free. The Hindustani government and military will pay for their crimes.
I'm not worried about God.
It doesn't concern me and I doubt it will influence our policies in any way.

Botched up should have been rectified by the concerned parties, it's not like brits were shoving it down your throat. By the virtue of that argument the states of Junagarh and Hyderabad should have been allowed to join Pakistan.
Isn't that what happened in Kashmir? Both countries trying to rectify what they saw (correctly I might add) as a flawed system of accession of princely states. 70 years later and we are still trying to 'correct' it.

Junagarh maybe. Although I don't know the details there was a plebiscite held and the population chose India.
Hyderabad, not so much. The nizam chose independence over India or Pakistan, so what happened was between India and Hyderabad. Pakistan wasn't involved.

Junagarh maybe. Although I don't know the details there was a plebiscite held and the population chose India.
Hyderabad, not so much. The nizam chose independence over India or Pakistan, so what happened was between India and Hyderabad. Pakistan wasn't involved.
If Junagarh can get a Plebiscite why can't Kashmir get for that matter?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom