What's new

Legendary 18-year-old Yahoo Messenger to shut down on August 5, 2016

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Yahoo-Messenger-Android.jpg

Yahoo has signaled the closure of the legacy Yahoo Messenger through their blog post stating that the legendary messenger would not take any services from August 5, 2016.
Yahoo Messenger has been struggling, making its place for more than 18 years. Launched with the name of ‘Yahoo Pager’ in 1998, this Messenger remained a top-notch platform for communication in past times as it was the accompanied by fewer competitors. But as the time progressed, new modes of communications were accompanied by new communication platforms.
Yahoo was able to bring out a quite upgraded product, a new “Yahoo Messenger”, modeled on high-tech lanes last year. The brought-out will now act as a replacement for the legendary Yahoo Messenger, we have been seeing around for about two decades. The replacement has been officiated through one of the blog post, in which Yahoo explained,

“While today we provide basic inter-operation between the legacy product and the new Messenger, we encourage all of our users to complete their transition to the new Yahoo Messenger as we will no longer support the legacy platform as of August 5, 2016.”​
After August 5th, the old Yahoo Messenger would not be of any service. Other messengers built on Yahoo Messenger API, would also face the same fate after the pull-over of legacy Yahoo Messenger. The downloads of legacy Yahoo Messenger has already been discontinued on the Application Stores.
The take is one of the quite recent strategic moves by Yahoo. In February, Yahoo announced to lay 15% of its employees. While, quite recently the tech company has also moved to kill off some digital magazines as well.
Yahoo also mentioned that it would be discontinuing Yahoo Recommends, a content discovery tool for third-party websites, on September 1, 2016.
http://www.techjuice.pk/legendary-18-year-old-yahoo-messenger-to-shut-down-on-august-5-2016/

Feel sad though I did not use it in years but it was my messenger

There was time when Yahoo & MSN messengers ruled Internet, now time have changed. Will remember it as my first messenger experience.

I remember I started using Yahoo messenger 2.0 or it was 3.0. Yahoo messenger was the ultimate thing back that time. In a way Yahoo did consume my life at one point. Who remember we use to have teen talk chat rooms lol, later on they were banned. I was also into booting ( Sending tons of messages to one person, and freezing his pc screen). Then the inception of online fights started, people would tag up and try to hold mics in Chat room using Mass iggy programs lol. Oh boy picking up girls was so easy on Yahoo, I still remember how easy it was.

Then there were Yahoo! Games oh man I use to play Yahoo! pool it was epic, Funny this is there use to be a room called "Kashmir" in Yahoo Pool as there was no India or Pakistan named room and that Kashmir room was always I would literally say always during my 7-8 years was always under Pakistani Gangs (4rm Pk) :lol:. I can write atleast 2 pages praising how good it all was, but as everything has to end one day so did Yahoo. Infact Yahoo was officially dead in 2010 when they shutdown their chatrooms and Y!Games.

I used to remember when this was the most popular platform of its class.

It was overtaken suddenly in 2008-2013

yahoo messenger was based on room chat and to close room chat they lost fame and other they did not compete modern messengers like whatsapp and facebook messenger

No more Philippine chat rooms :o:
lol free cams

Yahoo was the only messenger that was having room chat ,.. i don't know why they wanted to move like others while their room chat was the most popular.. there is still no other messenger that have open chat room..... their planning was flawed...

I remember I started using Yahoo messenger 2.0 or it was 3.0. Yahoo messenger was the ultimate thing back that time. In a way Yahoo did consume my life at one point. Who remember we use to have teen talk chat rooms lol, later on they were banned. I was also into booting ( Sending tons of messages to one person, and freezing his pc screen). Then the inception of online fights started, people would tag up and try to hold mics in Chat room using Mass iggy programs lol. Oh boy picking up girls was so easy on Yahoo, I still remember how easy it was.

Then there were Yahoo! Games oh man I use to play Yahoo! pool it was epic, Funny this is there use to be a room called "Kashmir" in Yahoo Pool as there was no India or Pakistan named room and that Kashmir room was always I would literally say always during my 7-8 years was always under Pakistani Gangs (4rm Pk) :lol:. I can write atleast 2 pages praising how good it all was, but as everything has to end one day so did Yahoo. Infact Yahoo was officially dead in 2010 when they shutdown their chatrooms and Y!Games.

I used to be in Bollywood Rooms back in 2002-2005 period. Used to bot the hell out of people :flame:I even used to run website from where you could download booters, Y-Chat, YTunnel etc. Even made one myself in VB6.

I miss those days :(

yahoo messenger ,,,,,spent a lot of time on yahoo with wol cards .....via yahoo i used to chat with my father for ours while telephone was asking RS 10-15 for 1 min

and chat rooms :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom