What's new

Learning privatisation from Turkey

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
In order to chart out ways for close collaboration in the energy sector, Turkey and Pakistan have agreed to form a technical working group in the energy sector. Secretary of Ministry of Water and Power Mr Saif Ullah Chatta who was leading a three-member delegation discussed this during his meetings with Turkish officials at Ankara.

The Pakistan official is visiting Turkey on the instruction of the prime minister in order to learn from the Turkish experience in privatization of electricity sector. While Pakistan has plans to privatize hydal projects, Turkey has successfully made 100pc privatization of the power distribution companies and created a multi-buyer and multi-sector electricity market.

The Pakistani delegation held extensive meeting with Secretary of the Turkish Ministry of Energy & Natural Resources Mr Metin Kilci who offered to help Pakistan in organizing a road show in Turkey where Pakistan could sensitize Turkish entrepreneurs about the privatization plans and would showcase potential projects in the hydel, coal and renewable energy sector to Turkish investors. Mr Metin informed that Turkey generated about US$ 50 billion from power sector privatization. He said as a result of privatization, public sector was saving over US $ 10 billion per annum which were earlier losses of the power sector entities. Similarly, line losses were also reduced substantially in the post-privatization era, he added.

Learning privatisation from Turkey! | Pakistan Today

@LegionnairE I think you can add alot to the discussion.

BTW im a free market type of guy for those who dont know.

Is electricity expensive in Turkey due to it being a private sector?

Privatization sucks... but Pakistan doesn't have many options here, most of the country only has electricity in half of the day
So it's not the question of choice here, whatever gets the job done.
Good luck with that.

If we can get Turkish energy companies to show interest there, it'd be helpful
Is electricity expensive in Turkey due to it being a private sector?
Electricity distribution is private in Turkey, not the production.
and it's not like you can chose between distributors or anything like that, small companies join regional tenders. Whoever gives the best offer takes over the power distribution of a city for a year or so.

I don't think there's any benefit here... but we have steady power flow ...for the most of the time.

I think @Hyperion as a person who lived in both countries has more to share here.

Last edited:
and it's not like you can chose between distributors or anything like that, small companies join regional tenders. Whoever gives the best offer takes over the power distribution of a city for a year or so.
I don't think there's any benefit here... but we have steady power flow ...for the most of the time.
I think @Hyperion as a person who lived in both countries has more to share here.

Mate we have numerous private companies produces electricity from Wind, Solar, Dams and Gas Plants. Just search for it.

but Pakistan doesn't have many options here, most of the country only has electricity in half of the day

Good luck with that.

This.

Mate we have numerous private companies produces electricity from Wind, Solar, Dams and Gas Plants. Just search for it.
Small scale companies really. If we were to calculate state to private sector electricity production ratio it would be %90 to %10 or something :) The fact that there are private investments doesn't mean the state has privatized it's own assets.

We have large companies that found out producing their own electricity is cheaper than buying from local distribution companies aswell.

Small scale companies really. If we were to calculate state to private sector electricity production ratio it would be %90 to %10 or something :) The fact that there are private investments doesn't mean the state has privatized it's own assets.

We have large companies that found out producing their own electricity is cheaper than buying from local distribution companies aswell.

Just look at Doğuş Group.

They have a total of 1Gw plants (hydro electric) and $2.5 Billion of investment. State just guarantees to buy electricty from them.

There are many corporates like them.

But you are right State owned plants were too much... i don't know if it is still like that. It is good thing we are privatizing IMO. I hate the efficiency of state owned companies almost all of them sucks big time.

we need to privitize distribution companies thats all

Mate, I'll contribute in a few days as I'm pretty busy at the moment..... :)

Privatization sucks... but Pakistan doesn't have many options here, most of the country only has electricity in half of the day
Good luck with that.

If we can get Turkish energy companies to show interest there, it'd be helpful

There is no Problem in Pakistan for Production of Electricity. There is capacity to Produce 23 Gigawatt of Electricity where as the peek Consumption in summer is below 20 Gigawatt. The Problem is that People, Businesses, Politicians and even Government either steal Electricity or don't pay their Bills. Unless the Government does not resolve the stealing issue, there will always be Electricity issues.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom