What's new

Last Days of The Raj

Jeez - how sad. No wonder the Punjabis on both sides are the first ones who want to go to war. They loathe each other. But others might know - how was Bengal?

Jeez - how sad. No wonder the Punjabis on both sides are the first ones who want to go to war. They loathe each other. But others might know - how was Bengal?

Situation in Bengal was the same..it is where Mr Gandhi begun his hunger strike unto death..to calm things down.

Situation in Bengal was the same..it is where Mr Gandhi begun his hunger strike unto death..to calm things down.

Yea - I know he did it Naokhali. I am surprised none of this is mentioned in these videos. Surely, the saga of Partition is not just what happened in Punjab.

Had the Brits stuck to their plan of granting Independence in June 48 and partitioned the region systematically things may not have been as bad.

Mountbatten was in a rush to get out.

Had the Brits stuck to their plan of granting Independence in June 48 and partitioned the region systematically things may not have been as bad.

Well if he knew that Jinnah had barely a year to live....a lot of things would have been different.

Well if he knew that Jinnah had barely a year to live....a lot of things would have been different.

Sometimes ppl say this.I do not agree. India got independence because the Brit wanted to leave. Had they chosen to stay, despite all the Quit India movements etc they could have hung on for at least a decade.

The partition IMO was right & correct thing to do , the way it went about lies at the roots of the ills we face today.

Yea - I know he did it Naokhali. I am surprised none of this is mentioned in these videos. Surely, the saga of Partition is not just what happened in Punjab.

Bengal and Punjab are the two states that directly effected by partition. In Bengal the riots took millions of life, millions others became homeless. People from East-Bengal had to abandon all their land, belongings and stayed in refugee camps for years. There are many books were written and movies were made on this. Notably 'Meghe Dhaka Tara' and 'Subarnarekha' by Ritwik Ghatak and 'Mahanagar' by Satyajit Ray.

No Bengali Hindus would never have accepted partition, they didn't when Curzon tried to break Bengal. On the other hand Bengali Muslims, long been denied political leadership and most unprivileged specially in East Bengal wanted partition by any means. So it was inevitable.

Sometimes ppl say this.I do not agree. India got independence because the Brit wanted to leave. Had they chosen to stay, despite all the Quit India movements etc they could have hung on for at least a decade.

The partition IMO was right & correct thing to do , the way it went about lies at the roots of the ills we face today.

Churchill wanted to stay - but he lost the election in UK. More importantly, there were the INA trials followed by the Bombay Mutiny which spread to the rest of the country. The biggest reason the Brits wanted to leave was that they were not sure if the Indian Armed Forces were loyal anymore.

Originally Posted by Jackdaws View Post
"Well if he knew that Jinnah had barely a year to live....a lot of things would have been different."

Mountbatten and a (very) few of the British at the highest level knew it- they kept it top secret; because it would have affected the chain of events dramatically. They had managed to get the info from Dr.Rustom Jal Patel. This can be checked from very few contemporary accounts, however check out the narrative in "Freedom at Midnight". The authors had access to Mountbatten and his records.

Back
Top Bottom