What's new

L115A3 Long Range Rifle

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
L115A3 Long range 'sniper' rifle
British snipers fulfil a vital and enduring role on the battlefield, in terms of intelligence-gathering, target identification and eliminating high-value targets.

The L115A3 rifle, part of the Sniper System Improvement Programme (SSIP), is a large-calibre weapon which provides state-of-the-art telescopic day and night, all-weather sights, increasing a sniper's effective range considerably.

The first batch of SSIPs were deployed to Afghanistan in May 2008.

Designed to achieve a first-round hit at 600 metres and harassing fire out to 1,100 metres, Accuracy International's L96 sniper rifle has also been upgraded with a new x3-x12 x 50 sight and spotting scope.

The L115A3 long range rifle fires an 8.59mm bullet which is heavier than the 7.62mm round of the L96 and less likely to be deflected over extremely long ranges.

Other elements of the Sniper System Improvement Programme include night sights, spotting scopes, laser range finders and tripods.
Calibre8.59mm
Weight6.8kg
Length1300mm
Muzzle velocity936m/s
Feed5-round box
Effective range1100m plus
L115A3 Long range 'sniper' rifle - British Army Website

The L115A3 long range rifle is a bolt-action sniper rifle that is chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum. The L115A3 was introduced as part of the Sniper System Improvement Programme (SSIP), with the first weapons being fielded by 16 Air Assault Brigade in Helmand in 2008. It largely replaces the L96 and L115A1 sniper rifles previously fielded by UK forces.

The L115A3 is manufactured by Accuracy International. Among its features are:

• chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum (8.59mm) with an effective range of +1,100 meters
  • stainless steel, fluted, 686mm barrel
  • Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II day scope with 25x magnification.
  • Sniper Thermal Imaging Capability (STIC) night scope mounted forward of the day scope allows for target acquisition at night / low-light conditions
  • The weapon can be fitted with a suppressor in order to reduce muzzle flash and noise signature.
  • The stock folds which makes the weapon easier to carry in a backpack.
  • Adjustable cheek-pieces, a stabilizing monopod and an adjustable bipod for improved shooting ergonomics
  • 5-round box magazine
l115a3-long-range-rifle.jpg

L115A3 Long Range Rifle with sound suppressor and Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 PM II scope fitted.
Image by Andrew Linnett | © UK MOD / Crown Copyright 2014
Used under Open Government Licence

l115a3-sniper.jpg

A sniper with the Mobility Recce Force of 1 Royal Welsh takes aim with a L115A3 long range rifle during an operation in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Image by Maj Paul Smyth | © UK MOD / Crown Copyright 2014
Used under Open Government Licence

L115a3 Long Range Rifle
343Px

@Aeronaut @Oscar @nuclearpak @RazPaK @Slav Defence @Chak Bamu @tarrar @mafiya @Yzd Khalifa @Arabian Legend @al-Hasani @BLACKEAGLE

Awesome, i have a soft corner for bolt action rifles. Favorite being Remington 700.

zoetmx.jpg

Awesome, i have a soft corner for bolt action rifles. Favorite being Remington 700.

zoetmx.jpg
get one... totally worth it... My first rifle was a Bolt action... I am looking for a Ishapore surplus lee_enfield ... hopefully will find one soon

get one... totally worth it... My first rifle was a Bolt action... I am looking for a Ishapore surplus lee_enfield ... hopefully will find one soon

I'm a F1 student, i don't think i'm allowed to have one. Even if i do, the first gun will be a Walther PPK.

L115A3
Sniper rifle

l115a3.jpg

The British L115A3 is one of the best sniper rifles in the world

Country of origin United Kingdom
Entered service 2007
Caliber .338 Lapua Magnum (8.6x70 mm)
Weight 6.8 kg
Length 1 300 mm
Barrel length ~ 686 mm
Muzzle velocity ~ 936 m/s
Magazine capacity 5 rounds
Range of effective fire 1 500 - 1 700 m

The L115A3 is a British designation of a modified Arctic Warfare Magnum sniper rifle. In 1996 the Arctic Warfare Magnum rifle, chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum (8.6x70 mm) ammunition, was adopted by the British Armed Forces as the L115A1. It was used by the British Army, Royal Marines and the Royal Air Force regiment. In 2007 deliveries of an improved L115A3 began. This weapon has some improvements over the L115A1, such as a different scope, side-folding buttstock with adjustable cheek piece, different bipod and a sound supressor. A total of 580 L115A3 rifles were delivered to the British Armed Forces. These sniper rifles saw action during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The L115A3 is a bolt-action sniper rifle. It is chambered for a powerful .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge. This cartridge was specially designed for military snipers as long-range sniping ammunition. Its effective range is comparable with that of .50 BMG (12.7x99 mm) cartridge, though the .338 Lapua Magnum develops significantly less kinetic energy and penetration. In some cases the .338 Lapua Magnum round can reportedly penetrate armored glass.

The L115A3 rifle has an effective range of 1 500-1 700 meters. It can neutralize enemy snipers at standoff range. The L115A3 is one of the best sniper rifles in the world.

In 2009 the second longest sniper kill in history was made with the L115A3 rifle in Afghanistan. A British Army sniper Craig Harrison killed two Taliban fighters at a range of 2 475 meters. At the time it was the longest sniper kill ever made.

This weapon is fed from detachable 5-round capacity magazines.

This sniper rifle has a folding buttstock. This feature reduces the length of the weapon. So the L115A3 is more comfortable to carry in a backpack than rifles with solid buttstocks. Another improvement over the L115A1 was adjustable cheek piece. It allows the sniper to comfortably align his eye with the scope.

The L115A3 comes with a new adjustable bipod. There is also a monopod. These allow the sniper to support the rifle in a set position while locating the target.

This weapon has a Picatinny-type rail and comes with with a 5-25x magnification day sight.

The L115A3 can mount a sound suppressor. It reduces the sound and noise signature, hence reduces the chance of detection and increases survivability of the sniper.

l115a3_l1.jpg

l115a3_l2.jpg

l115a3_l3.jpg

l115a3_l4.jpg

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/l115a3.htm

Back
Top Bottom