What's new

KSA wants huge Naval deals but on the condition that 50% of the value of each contract is spent locally

These all seem like Frigates. Any plans for the Saudis to get destroyers (more robust and faster vessels) so the Saudis would be able to protect their own SLOCs for their oil exports to Asia and Europe, just in case they have to.

France has had hundreds of years of military and economic development, while generally staying intact by and large over that time. Colonized countries haven’t had that luxury. Furthermore grande as a colonial power then, and still to this day (just not in name) underwrites their spending on R&D to be able to independently keep pace technologically. If it was just population or economic size, the Germans would be ahead of the French, but the Germans don’t have the empire and are still paying for their reunification by subsidies to the eastern part of their country to bring back the economy there.

Destroyers for Saudi Arabia in government programme​

02. JANUARY 2020
The U.S. Navy awarded a Lockheed Martin-led shipbuilding consortium including Fincantieri Marinette Marine (FMM), a multi-billion dollar order for the construction of four destroyers to be sold to Saudi Arabia. The destroyers, called Multi-Mission Surface Combatants, are part of the United States’ Foreign Military Sales programme. Fincantieri will build the ships at the Marinette yard in Wisconsin. The now finalised contract has a total value of approximately US$1.3 billion for Fincantieri Marinette Marine. The Multi-Mission Surface Combatant is a highly maneuverable, multi-mission surface naval combat ship, which features the flexibility of the Freedom-variant Littoral Combat Ship steel mono-hull, built by the same consortium for the U.S. Navy. But the Saudi Arabian version has an increased range of 5,000 nautical miles and speeds in excess of 30 knots, making it capable of coastal and open ocean operations, and will also be able to confront modern maritime and economic security threats. Lockheed Martin and FMM, together with the naval architect Gibbs & Cox and over 800 suppliers in 42 states, are already cooperating for the U.S, Navy’s LCS construction programme.

From what I understand the Saudi Arabian Navy is undergoing a huge modernization.

Part of this ongoing update are the 5 Al Jubail-class corvettes with Spanish Navantia (with 60% ToT).

1658665975129.png

Last edited:

Destroyers for Saudi Arabia in government programme​

02. JANUARY 2020
The U.S. Navy awarded a Lockheed Martin-led shipbuilding consortium including Fincantieri Marinette Marine (FMM), a multi-billion dollar order for the construction of four destroyers to be sold to Saudi Arabia. The destroyers, called Multi-Mission Surface Combatants, are part of the United States’ Foreign Military Sales programme. Fincantieri will build the ships at the Marinette yard in Wisconsin. The now finalised contract has a total value of approximately US$1.3 billion for Fincantieri Marinette Marine. The Multi-Mission Surface Combatant is a highly maneuverable, multi-mission surface naval combat ship, which features the flexibility of the Freedom-variant Littoral Combat Ship steel mono-hull, built by the same consortium for the U.S. Navy. But the Saudi Arabian version has an increased range of 5,000 nautical miles and speeds in excess of 30 knots, making it capable of coastal and open ocean operations, and will also be able to confront modern maritime and economic security threats. Lockheed Martin and FMM, together with the naval architect Gibbs & Cox and over 800 suppliers in 42 states, are already cooperating for the U.S, Navy’s LCS construction programme.

From what I understand the Saudi Arabian Navy is undergoing a huge update.

Part of this ongoing update are the 5 Al Jubail-class corvettes with Spanish Navantia (with ToT).

View attachment 864823
That’s the LCS (littoral patrol ships basically) recently ditched by the US navy, after only a few years in service.

I was asking about something akin to the Arleigh Burkes

That’s the LCS (littoral patrol ships basically) recently ditched by the US navy, after only a few years in service.

I was asking about something akin to the Arleigh Burkes

Are we talking about the same thing here? Littoral patrol ships is quite an understatement.

Lockheed Martin Started Construction on Saudi Arabia's 2nd MMSC
Lockheed Martin picture

Lockheed Martin Started Construction On Saudi Arabia’s 2nd MMSC​

Lockheed Martin and Fincantieri started construction on the second Multi Mission Surface Combatant (MMSC) for the Royal Saudi Navy (RSN). A low key steel cutting ceremony took place on at Fincantieri Marinette Marine in Wisconsin in late January.​

Xavier Vavasseur 16 Mar 2021

A Lockheed Martin spokesperson confirmed to Naval News that the first cut of steel for MMSC 2 was on January 28, 2021 and shared pictures of the event. The name of the ship has not been disclosed yet.

For the record, Lockheed Martin was awarded a contract totaling $450 million to begin the detailed design and planning for construction of four Multi-Mission Surface Combatants (MMSC) to be built at Fincantieri Marinette Marine shipyard back in July 2018. The vessels are being procured as part of a modernization program for the RSN’s eastern fleet called SNEP II (Saudi Naval Expansion Program). Steel cutting for HMS Saud, the first ship-in-class took place on 28 October 2019.

MMSC is based on the Freedom-class Littoral Combat Ship of the U.S. Navy. It utilizes the COMBATSS-21 Combat Management System, built from the Aegis Combat System Common Source Library, enabling anti-air and anti-surface capabilities in a small surface combatant platform. With proven combat management system lineage, Lockheed Martin’s MMSC has the interoperability necessary for today’s joint and allied naval force maneuvers.

“We are pleased the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has selected the Multi-Mission Surface Combatant to support its Royal Saudi Naval Forces fleet,” said in July 2018 Joe DePietro, vice president, Lockheed Martin Small Combatants and Ship Systems.
“The MMSC provides the Royal Saudi Naval Forces a lethal and highly maneuverable multi-mission surface combatant, which features the flexibility of the Freedom-variant Littoral Combat Ship steel mono-hull with expanded capabilities that include an integrated Mk41 Vertical Launch System, an increased range of 5,000 nautical miles and speeds in excess of 30 knots, making it capable of littoral and open ocean operation, and able to confront modern maritime and economic security threats.”

Lockheed-Martin-Fincantieri-Start-Construction-on-Royal-Saudi-Navy-1st-MMSC-1-1024x683.jpg
Artist impression of Royal Saudi Navy MMSC and MH-60R helicopter. Lockheed Martin image.

The July 2018 contract award was preceded by a $481 million FMS award in March 2018 and followed by another $282 million award in November 2018.

The Saudi MMSC will be fitted with 8x Mk41 vertical launch systems for ESSM surface to air missiles, a SeaRAM launcher on top of the helicopter hangar, 8x Harpoon anti-ship missiles, a BAE Systems Bofors 57mm main gun and 2x Nexter Narwhal 20mm remote weapon systems as secondary artillery. The sensor suite includes a Hensoldt TRS-4D AESA Radar, 2x SAAB CEROS 200 radar and optronic tracking fire control director, Argon ST WBR-2000 Electronic Support Measure and Threat Warning System and a variable depth sonar.

Royal Saudi Navy’s MH-60R Romeo​

Royal-Sausi-Navy-MH-60R-1024x571.jpg
Induction ceremony of the first MH-60R “Romeos” of the Royal Saudi Navy in December 2020. Saudi MoD picture.

The RSN is also procuring MH-60R Romeo to be deployed from these veseels. According to Lockheed Martin, paired with world’s most advanced maritime helicopter, the MH-60R, the MMSC will have a robust anti-submarine mission capability that is fully interoperable with the U.S. Navy and its coalition partners.

The first MH-60R maritime helicopters were inducted during an inauguration ceremony on 23 December 2020. During the ceremony, Commander of the Royal Saudi Navy, Lieutenant General Fahd bin Abdullah Al-Ghafili, said the Romeo features the latest technologies and systems, which will enhance the capabilities of the RSN to face all challenges and threats in the region. Saudi Arabia has 10 “Romeos” on order. The first delivery took place in 2018.

So far, the Romeo has been selected by the navies of the United States, Saudi Arabia, Denmark, Australia, India, Greece and South Korea. The U.S. Navy is the main operator of the MH-60R with 289 units in its fleet. It acts as the primary anti-submarine warfare and anti-surface warfare helicopter in the fleet.

I am not aware of any such plans but does anyone in KSA's neighborhood have those type of destroyers? I don't think that anyone in the Muslim world have ships in that class to begin with.

If USA would export the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, I am sure that KSA would try to buy it.

What destroyer options would you have in mind for the RSANF? I personally had the South Korean KDDX-class destroyer in mind whenever (if) opens up for export if Western destroyer options are unavailable.

Last edited:
Are we talking about the same thing here? Littoral patrol ships is quite an understatement.

Lockheed Martin Started Construction on Saudi Arabia's 2nd MMSC's 2nd MMSC
Lockheed Martin picture

Lockheed Martin Started Construction On Saudi Arabia’s 2nd MMSC​

Lockheed Martin and Fincantieri started construction on the second Multi Mission Surface Combatant (MMSC) for the Royal Saudi Navy (RSN). A low key steel cutting ceremony took place on at Fincantieri Marinette Marine in Wisconsin in late January.​

Xavier Vavasseur 16 Mar 2021

A Lockheed Martin spokesperson confirmed to Naval News that the first cut of steel for MMSC 2 was on January 28, 2021 and shared pictures of the event. The name of the ship has not been disclosed yet.

For the record, Lockheed Martin was awarded a contract totaling $450 million to begin the detailed design and planning for construction of four Multi-Mission Surface Combatants (MMSC) to be built at Fincantieri Marinette Marine shipyard back in July 2018. The vessels are being procured as part of a modernization program for the RSN’s eastern fleet called SNEP II (Saudi Naval Expansion Program). Steel cutting for HMS Saud, the first ship-in-class took place on 28 October 2019.

MMSC is based on the Freedom-class Littoral Combat Ship of the U.S. Navy. It utilizes the COMBATSS-21 Combat Management System, built from the Aegis Combat System Common Source Library, enabling anti-air and anti-surface capabilities in a small surface combatant platform. With proven combat management system lineage, Lockheed Martin’s MMSC has the interoperability necessary for today’s joint and allied naval force maneuvers.

“We are pleased the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has selected the Multi-Mission Surface Combatant to support its Royal Saudi Naval Forces fleet,” said in July 2018 Joe DePietro, vice president, Lockheed Martin Small Combatants and Ship Systems.

Lockheed-Martin-Fincantieri-Start-Construction-on-Royal-Saudi-Navy-1st-MMSC-1-1024x683.jpg
Artist impression of Royal Saudi Navy MMSC and MH-60R helicopter. Lockheed Martin image.

The July 2018 contract award was preceded by a $481 million FMS award in March 2018 and followed by another $282 million award in November 2018.

The Saudi MMSC will be fitted with 8x Mk41 vertical launch systems for ESSM surface to air missiles, a SeaRAM launcher on top of the helicopter hangar, 8x Harpoon anti-ship missiles, a BAE Systems Bofors 57mm main gun and 2x Nexter Narwhal 20mm remote weapon systems as secondary artillery. The sensor suite includes a Hensoldt TRS-4D AESA Radar, 2x SAAB CEROS 200 radar and optronic tracking fire control director, Argon ST WBR-2000 Electronic Support Measure and Threat Warning System and a variable depth sonar.

Royal Saudi Navy’s MH-60R Romeo​

Royal-Sausi-Navy-MH-60R-1024x571.jpg
Induction ceremony of the first MH-60R “Romeos” of the Royal Saudi Navy in December 2020. Saudi MoD picture.

The RSN is also procuring MH-60R Romeo to be deployed from these veseels. According to Lockheed Martin, paired with world’s most advanced maritime helicopter, the MH-60R, the MMSC will have a robust anti-submarine mission capability that is fully interoperable with the U.S. Navy and its coalition partners.

The first MH-60R maritime helicopters were inducted during an inauguration ceremony on 23 December 2020. During the ceremony, Commander of the Royal Saudi Navy, Lieutenant General Fahd bin Abdullah Al-Ghafili, said the Romeo features the latest technologies and systems, which will enhance the capabilities of the RSN to face all challenges and threats in the region. Saudi Arabia has 10 “Romeos” on order. The first delivery took place in 2018.

So far, the Romeo has been selected by the navies of the United States, Saudi Arabia, Denmark, Australia, India, Greece and South Korea. The U.S. Navy is the main operator of the MH-60R with 289 units in its fleet. It acts as the primary anti-submarine warfare and anti-surface warfare helicopter in the fleet.

I am not aware of any such plans but does anyone in KSA's neighborhood have those type of destroyers? I don't think that anyone in the Muslim world have ships in that class to begin with.

If USA would export the Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, I am sure that KSA would try to buy it.

What destroyer options would you have in mind for the RSANF? I personally had the South Korean KDDX-class destroyer in mind whenever (if) opens up for export if Western destroyer options are unavailable.
Yes the same ship. I have personally toured a Freedom class LCS. It’s a crap ship, just my honest amateur opinion, but also one shared by some people in or retired from the US navy (check out the videos on YouTube about it by the channel “Sub Brief”).

IF the Saudi want a decent ship in the same class of ASW corvettes they should go for the new Japanese ship; Mogami Class. Check out the video on it by the YouTube channel “Eurasia Naval Insight”. A great ship to hunt Iranian Subs (if needed) and with some air defenses for self protection.

As for destroyers, the Koreans could probably build a Sejong the great class destroyer for the Saudi navy and might even be willing to do the most ToT of any country to secure the deal.

A few helicopter carriers could also help the Saudis conduct anti piracy or humanitarian operations in countries and water around their country or along their SLOCs. With a decent sized shipbuilding capability in Saudi, Helicopter carriers could be turned into light carriers if originally build with that possibility in mind, and could allow the Saudis to make them drone carriers to support naval ships in protecting the SLOCs.

Btw, the Turks have destroyers on the drawing board; TF-2000 class destroyers. A similar design to the future American destroyers. If the Saudis buy from the Turks or could benefit the Saudis in the long term in terms of political influence.

Last edited:
Yes the same ship. I have personally toured a Freedom class LCS. It’s a crap ship, just my honest amateur opinion, but also one share by people in the US navy (check out the videos on YouTube about it by the channel “Sub Brief”). If the Saudi want a decent ship in the same class of ASW corvettes they should go for the new Japanese ship; Mogami Class. Check out the video on it by the YouTube channel “Eurasia Naval Insight”.

As for destroyers, the Koreans could probably build a Sejong the great class destroyer for the Saudi navy and might even be willing to do the most ToT of any country to secure the deal.

A few helicopter carriers could also help the Saudis conduct anti piracy or humanitarian operations in countries and water around their country or along their SLOCs.

The Saudi Arabian version will be superior to the US versions (at least on paper) and if it was truly a crappy ship, why would the most powerful navy in the world (by far and with hardly any competitors) even acquire it to begin with, use it for this long (continue to use it as well)

and more importantly why would the Saudi Arabian Navy acquire it? Just seems very strange.

As for the Mogami Class, looks like Indonesia is so far the only buyer of it and without looking it probably has tons of key US tech thus needing political permission from the US to export it.

I agree with the South Korean option that I myself mentioned.

Ideally they would go for the KDDX-class destroyer once it is developed.

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that those have ever been exported by South Korea to anyone and they contain a lot of key US tech. To begin with they use the Lockhead Martin AN/SPY-1 radar system. In fact the main difference between it and the Arleigh Burkes is the number of VLS cells.

Thus for exports, they would need the political permission of the US.

The Saudi Arabian version will be superior to the US versions (at least on paper) and if it was truly a crappy ship, why would the most powerful navy in the world (by far and with hardly any competitors) even acquire it to begin with, use it for this long (continue to use it as well)

and more importantly why would the Saudi Arabian Navy acquire it? Just seems very strange.

As for the Mogami Class, looks like Indonesia is so far the only buyer of it and without looking it probably has tons of key US tech thus needing political permission from the US to export it.

I agree with the South Korean option that I myself mentioned.

Ideally they would go for the KDDX-class destroyer once it is developed.

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that those have ever been exported by South Korea to anyone and they contain a lot of key US tech. To begin with they use the Lockhead Martin AN/SPY-1 radar system. In fact the main difference between it and the Arleigh Burkes is the number of VLS cells.

Thus for exports, they would need the political permission of the US.
Is contractors convinced politicians to push for it to be acquired. Gear boxes break down requiring so much repairs that it’s basically not worth it. Also, when this happens the ship gets stuck going at a slow speed. It takes a few years before the damage caused the breakdown but it happens I only a few years. See the video by Sub Brief. He’s by reference to this issue. The US is retiring all of the ships in a few years if I’m not mistaken.

On the destroyers, if politics holds back Saudi acquisition of us or is derived destroyers the Saudis might as well go with the Turkish option.

Is contractors convinced politicians to push for it to be acquired. Gear boxes break down requiring so much repairs that it’s basically not worth it. Also, when this happens the ship gets stuck going at a slow speed. It takes a few years before the damage caused the breakdown but it happens I only a few years. See the video by Sub Brief. He’s by reference to this issue. The US is retiring all of the ships in a few years if I’m not mistaken.

On the destroyers, if politics holds back Saudi acquisition of us or is derived destroyers the Saudis might as well go with the Turkish option.

Since Saudi Arabia's versions will be superior and newer upgrades of those older US ones, is it really too far-fetched to think that those drawbacks will be fixed? I am sure that KSA already know about all this and have demanded updates/fixes to those potential problems.
Anything else would make no sense, don't you think so?

As per the Wikipedia link, just a few of them will be retired (older ones), the newer ones, not, it seems.

The Turks don't have any destroyers currently and I would be very surprised if their future destroyers did not contain a lot of key Western components or Western-derived key components. Likely the same problems (political) would arise and the degree of ToT being willingly shared is also dubious. Not to mention regional politics. None of the powers in the Middle East (if you notice) want to develop a relationship (in particular military one) where the buyer is at a disadvantage, more so when it comes to strategic weapons such as destroyers IMO. I don't see it happening but of course, I could be wrong.

Anyway ideally KSA would use the navy modernization to increase the TOT share, build up and strengthen the existing shipbuilding industry and go their own ways (long-term) alongside trusted Arab partners. Of course a strong domestic Arab military industry would be a nightmare for US/Western/Russian etc. weapons exporters and a lot of dirty work would be done to prevent such projects but they have to do it. South Korea is a good benchmark but also unique (due to the whole North Korea/China aspect and the enormous US support they have received and continue to receive in terms of tech and military) to aim at.

Of course ideally the main Muslim powers would jointly develop strategic key military projects but that is not going to happen unfortunately even though that would strengthen everyone involved and prevent senseless conflicts as it would give rise to greater economic cooperation as well.

Last edited:
Since Saudi Arabia's versions will be superior and newer upgrades of those older US ones, is it really too far-fetched to think that those drawbacks will be fixed? I am sure that KSA already know about all this and have demanded updates/fixes to those potential problems.
Anything else would make no sense, don't you think so?

As per the Wikipedia link, just a few of them will be retired (older ones), the newer ones, not, it seems.

The Turks don't have any destroyers currently and I would be very surprised if their future destroyers did not contain a lot of key Western components or Western-derived key components. Likely the same problems (political) would arise and the degree of ToT being willingly shared is also dubious. Not to mention regional politics. None of the powers in the Middle East (if you notice) want to develop a relationship (in particular military one) where the buyer is at a disadvantage, more so when it comes to strategic weapons such as destroyers IMO. I don't see it happening but of course, I could be wrong.

Anyway ideally KSA would use the navy modernization to increase the TOT share, build up and strengthen the existing shipbuilding industry and go their own ways (long-term) alongside trusted Arab partners. Of course a strong domestic Arab military industry would be a nightmare for US/Western/Russian etc. weapons exporters and a lot of dirty work would be done to prevent such projects but they have to do it. South Korea is a good benchmark but also unique (due to the whole North Korea/China aspect and the enormous US support they have received and continue to receive in terms of tech and military) to aim at.

Of course ideally the main Muslim powers would jointly develop strategic key military projects but that is not going to happen unfortunately even though that would strengthen everyone involved and prevent senseless conflicts as it would give rise to greater economic cooperation as well.
I’m sure they will push to make sure their ships don’t have the same problem, but it maybe a design flaw that is inherent to the design. Perhaps a partial redesign will be needed.

As for ToT, the Saudis may have to acquire from whomever is willing, Ed Paul kt if they make it clear that full ToT is the price for a deal. They don’t need the best ships at first, but getting enough to be competitive now, and then build up key aspects like marine engines will be crucial to self sufficiency, just in case supplies are shutoff long term.

Having said this, the Saudis could sign up to get the constellation class frigates instead that the US Navy are getting. The Saudis could enhance the frigates with a modern European or American radar suite, considering the Frigates are based on the Italian FREMM frigates you showed in one of your original posts.

The Saudis could get a variant tailored for the Middle East conditions.

Last edited:
I’m sure they will push to make sure their ships don’t have the same problem, but it maybe a design flaw that is inherent to the design. Perhaps a partial redesign will be needed.

As for ToT, the Saudis may have to acquire from whomever is willing, Ed Paul kt if they make it clear that full ToT is the price for a deal. They don’t need the best ships at first, but getting enough to be competitive now, and then build up key aspects like marine engines will be crucial to self sufficiency, just in case supplies are shutoff long term.

Having said this, the Saudis could sign up to get the constellation class frigates instead that the US Navy are getting. The Saudis could enhance the frigates with a modern European or American radar suite, considering the Frigates are based on the Italian FREMM frigates you showed in one of your original posts.

The Saudis could get a variant tailored for the Middle East conditions.

I agree with your post and suggestions however none of us here know what all the future plans of the Saudi Arabian Navy will entail. We only know of the already signed deals after all and the fact that the navy is about to undergo a large-scale modernization.

As far as the constellation-class frigates goes, they are 3 times more expensive than the MMSC, no exports so far and if exported to KSA it would probably be a long process and quite possibly a downgraded version considering that the constellation-class is under development, more hightech and don't forget the political angle and official US policy of Israel always having the technical superiority in the region courtesy of the same US.

The MMSC, as I wrote, will be equipped with the best features that are compatible to the MMSC from what is mentioned in those articles.

Anyway realistically KSA does not need/will not get as powerful destroyers as the strongest navy on the planet. KSA's needs are entirely different.

1658706601422.png

Lockheed Martin Multi-Mission Surface Combatant (MMSC) is a derivative of the US Navy’s Freedom-Class Littoral Combat Ship (LCS). It was selected for the Royal Saudi Naval Forces’ (RSNF) multi-mission surface combat ship requirement.

The MMSC platform can be configured with a variety of sensors and weapons based on operational requirements of the naval customer. It also enables interoperability with the US Navy and allied naval forces in joint operations.

https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/multi-mission-surface-combatant-mmsc/

Last edited:
Fincantieri-WSD-2022_01-800x534.jpg

EDR News

Fincantieri proposes its global capability to Saudi Arabia​

14/03/2022 Fincantieri, FREMM, GAMI, Leonardo, LPD, Marinette Marine, MBDA, MMSC, Naviris, NexTech, OMEGA360, SAMI, Saudi Arabia, Scopa, SEASTEMA, World Defense Show, Zamil

By Paolo Valpolini

Fincantieri, the Italian major shipyard involved in the cruise, merchant and military segments, is definitely a major international player thanks to its numerous subsidiary and associate companies, among which Fincantieri Marinette Marine in the United States, the Naviris joint venture with French Naval Group, to mention a few. In recent times the group has further evolved adding capabilities that bring it well beyond those of a major shipyard.

With a well-established footprint in the Gulf region, mainly in the United Arab Emirates and Qatar, the Italian group took the opportunity of the World Defense Show to further promote its capabilities to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

“We have been talking for two years with some important naval players in the country like Scopa and Zamil, as well as with the end user, the Royal Saudi Naval Forces, and local authorities like GAMI and SAMI, and our business is in the process to be created in such a complex country, our efforts being both organizational and financial,” Achille Fulfaro, Fincantieri Senior Vice President Sales, tells EDR On-Line.

1658749400015.png

Fincantieri is already partly involved in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia through the Multi-Mission Surface Combatant (MMSC) programme, which contract was assigned to Lockheed Martin in mid-2018. While the latter is the prime contractor, Fincantieri Marinette Marine ensures the ship construction. The first cut of steel of MMSC 1 took place on October 24th, 2019 while that of MMSC 2 dates of January 28th, 2021. These ships are based on the Freedom-variant Litoral Combat Ship and feature a 118 meters long hull and a displacement of around 4,000 tonnes. Their combined diesel and gas propulsion system allow a maximum speed of over 30 knots and a range of over 5,000 NM at 10 knots. Their armament will include a 57 mm Mk110 gun, a SeaRAM missile system, two 20 mm remote guns and an 8 cell MK 41 Vertical Launch System equipped with RIM-162 Evolved Sea Sparrow Missiles. The flight deck can host an MH-60R SeaHawk, providing anti-submarine capacity. A total of four such ship are to be built for the Royal Saudi Naval Force.

However Fincantieri looks at two potential programmes that might soon be launched by Saudi Arabia. “We are definitely looking at a frigate programme that might well fit our FREMMs,” Achille Fulfaro says, “as well as that for Landing Platform Dock (LPD) type units, to which we might respond with a version of the Enhanced San Giusto-class ship, similar to that we provided to Algeria.” Fincantieri has already delivered two FREMM-class frigates, identical to those in service with the Italian Navy, the Al Galala (FFG 1002) and the Bernees (FFG 1003) to Egypt respectively in December 2020 and April 2021, while the Kalaat Béni Abbès (L-474) entered service with the Algerian Navy in 2015.

The FFG 1002 and 1003 are 145 meters long with a 6,700 tonnes full load displacement capable to sail at over 27 knots with a range of 6,800 NM at 15 knots. They are fitted with a Leonardo OTO Melara 127/64 mm gun and a 76/62 mm gun, two 25/80 mm RCWS, two 8-cell Sylver A50 vertical launch system for MBDA’s Aster 15 and Aster 30 air defence missiles, eight MBDA Teseo/Otomat Mk-2/A antiship missiles, and two triple launchers for MU 90 light torpedoes. The L-474 is a 143 meters long ship with a 8,800 tonnes full load displacement, capable to transport up to 440 marines and 30 armoured personnel carriers (or 5 main battle tanks) at a maximum of 20 knots and with a 7,000 NM autonomy at 15 knots.

1658749427706.png

However we are also promoting other products, such as our OMEGA360 non-rotating radar developed by our subsidiary Seastema, which is optimised for detecting asymmetric threats and targets with reduced RCS, such as swarms of small drones,” Fincantieri VP Sales points out.

“As a global player we present us as a strategic partner, capable to take on the programme since the mission profile phase up to the ship end of life, not limiting our capabilities to naval units but extending them to cyber defence as well as to infrastructure,” Mr. Fulfaro adds, underlining recent capabilities expansion of the group, i.e. with the addition of Fincantieri NexTech and Fincantieri Infrastructures, “and we are also deeply involved in the unmanned naval field.”

Competition is of course strong in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, numerous shipyards proposing their solutions at the Word Defense Show. “We are well aware that some of our competitors have a strong footprint in this country, but we are confident that we might obtain a breakthrough exploiting our global proposal, which of course includes a transfer-of-technology package, which is typical in all our man export projects,” Achille Fulfaro concludes.

Good. But the Arabs need to stop being US puppets.

“Tough Negotiations” European companies suffer from selling their products to Saudi Arabia..
The Kingdom requires spending 50% of the transaction value locally to transfer knowledge..

Naval Group presented the latest Belharra frigates to the Saudi Navy.. While the Italian Fincantieri has proposed an advanced version of the FREMM frigate..

View attachment 852236

The maritime sector was particularly prominent in WDS 2022. The Saudi Navy is heading for a complete modernization.. Expanding its capabilities after ordering four Lockheed Martin MMSC ships and five Navantia Avante-2200 corvettes,

View attachment 852241

The Navy still needed another 4-6 frigates or 5-8 large corvettes.. Therefore, major shipbuilders have offered their most advanced solutions, side by side with partnership proposals for local industry. In fact, under the concept of Vision 2030
The Kingdom's new offset policies state that 50% from the value of each contract must be spent locally..

In an effort to bring knowledge to Saudi Arabia and develop the national industry, It is no coincidence that Saudi Aramco, Sami and Saudi Scopa Groups announced multiple cooperation agreements that will bring the best defense technologies
to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia..

Fincantieri has proposed a version of its FREMM frigates, but it can also rework its Zubarah-class ships, if Saudi Arabia needs
something smaller and less complex.

View attachment 852245

In the same segment, Naval Group promoted their latest design,. It is the multi-purpose frigate FDI / Belharra, and in the end
GOWIND 2500.. DESIGN..

View attachment 852238

Hyundai seeks to benefit from its agreements with Aramco to propose its own products such as the FFX-I / II / III frigates

View attachment 852239

The HDF-3500 and HDF-3800SA other proposals included DSME's DW-3000H..

View attachment 852244

View attachment 852243

And many frigate offers from the Chinese CSSC

View attachment 852240

The government is increasing budgets and has ambitions for the country..

When speaking to a variety of stakeholders, it is clear that Saudi Arabia is seen as one of the most popular markets
promising in the region, either directly or indirectly; In fact, Saudi political influence in the Middle East may act as a catalyst for the launch of a broader market in the region for those companies that are able to seize the opportunities to sell to Riyadh
The exhibition itself has the potential to become a staple and a new market in the coming years..
I still can't understand why Arab countries are not inducting Submarines. A Navy without good number of submarines is basically suicide mission. What on earth is stopping them from inducting submarines.

I still can't understand why Arab countries are not inducting Submarines. A Navy without good number of submarines is basically suicide mission. What on earth is stopping them from inducting submarines.

This is their main weakness and I don't get it either. Even more when you consider that they border some of the most important and strategic water ways in the world (Suez Canal, Bab el Mandeb, Strait of Hormuz) etc.

1658762364454.png

1658762392145.png

1658762384749.png

What is even more strange, Arabs have historically been great seafaring people. Arab merchants, businessmen etc. spread Islam to Indonesia and South East Asia. It was the Arabs that established Singapore before the Brits took over as well. The name of Arabian Sea gives it a way too. They have been far and wide yet the neglect of their navies has been criminal IMO.

They need to fully be able to protect their own waterways in case of conflict. Too much at stake and they cannot trust outsiders in this regard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom