KSA, Pakistan to boost joint ventures in defense production

Gryphon

Reaction score
16 February 2014

wr05_big.jpg

Pakistan Defense Minister Khawaja Asif

Faheem Al-Hamid
Okaz/Saudi Gazette

ISLAMABAD — Recently an Okaz/Saudi Gazette journalist sat down with Pakistan’s Defense Minister Khawaja Asif regarding the importance of the visit of Crown Prince Salman Bin Abdul Aziz, Deputy Premier and Minister of Defense, to Pakistan and its potential to boost the strategic partnership between the two nations. The interview with the defense minister went as follows:

Q: How do you view the importance of Prince Crown Prince Salman Bin Abdul Aziz’s visit to Pakistan?

A: It is a very important visit for us and for the nation of Pakistan. Crown Prince Salman is very prominent figure of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; the country we love very much. This is his first visit after assuming the charge as the Crown Prince and Defense Minister, we hope it will further enhance the relation and will give boost to the strategic partnership between the two countries .

Q: How to you see the cooperation between the two countries in the military and defense sectors?

A: Let me first make it very clear that the defense of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is the defense of Pakistan as well as the security of KSA and Pakistan. For us the Kingdom is a very sacred country. The corporation in the fields of military cooperation is not new, as our cooperation goes back many years. The visit of the Crown Prince is going to increase corporation in the military fields. There is a bond between two countries. In my opinion it is very significant.

Q: The Deputy Defense Minister Prince Salman Bin Sultan visited Pakistan recently. What was the focus of that visit?

A: I had the honor of hosting Prince Salman. He visited heavy industry in Taxilla. We had a very fruitful discussion on how to raise the level of committee to the defense ministers. Next time the committee should meet in Riyadh and Islamabad.

Q: What are the areas explored in defense and military cooperation between the two countries?

A: The key cooperation is the training and military drills. I think we must have joint ventures in defense production. If this can be explored we can become self-sufficient, we can produce our own defense equipment and provide it to KSA. We could even jointly provide it to international market.

Q: Do you think the Al-Khalid tank can be modified to meet the requirements of Saudi Arabia?

A: I think it is a good idea, which came during the visit of Prince Salman Bin Sultan. We are trying to make this up to their requirement. You know the relationship has been established for decades.

As you know we have produced JF 17, Mushaq and Al-Khalid can be modified according to the needs, we are producing explosives and a lot of other equipments.

Q: What is your ministry’s main role in defending the borders?

A: As you know we are enjoying parliamentary democracy system, we have different portfolios. Defense ministry’s prime responsibility is to provide security against internal & external threats. It has lot of significant role as we are fighting against terrorism & insurgency and under the present circumstances it has pivotal roles.

Q: What is your policy to combat terrorism?

A: We have been combating terrorism for 10 years now, but the so-called Taliban are still creating problems. We are taking all possible options to make the present peace talks successful. Talks can never be overruled, but if it is imposed then we are Alhamdulillah capable and it will be countered with force. Military operation has not started.

Q: Are you prepared to handle the security situation in the country in the aftermath of the American withdrawal from Afghanistan?

A: We are coordinating with our friends for making the policy to handle the situation after the withdrawal of Americans from Afghanistan. Pakistan has a very clear stand on this matter and will not compromise on national interests. We are taking all possible steps to overcome this situation.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif also took this matter to US authorities during his visit to the United States. Pakistan has rendered too many sacrifices during the war against terrorism. Also during the Russian occupation of Afghanistan we suffered a lot. Now we are in new age. Peace and security of Pakistan is our prime requisite and they must cooperate with each other.

KSA, Pakistan to boost joint ventures in defense production - Saudi Gazette

Last edited:
So there is a hint that military operation will be carried out.

Military cooperation will be good for both countries, and as far as the Al-Khalid is concerned my guess is that it can be readily modified to meet the rigors of the Arabian desert as Iraq is using it already and the geography of Iraq and KSA is more or less similar

The prospects of a stronger defense ties between KSA and Pakistan are looking better. Hopefully we will hear some good news soon.

The prospects of a stronger defense ties between KSA and Pakistan are looking better. Hopefully we will hear some good news soon.

That is good news but I hope Pakistan resists the temptation to play any role between Saudi/ Iran rivalry.

That is good news but I hope Pakistan resists the temptation to play any role between Saudi/ Iran rivalry.

We should mind our own business. They are perfectly capable of dealing with each other.

Translation is Pakistan will provide the brains and physical work, while Saudi Arabia will provide the oil money.

Translation is Pakistan will provide the brains and physical work, while Saudi Arabia will provide the oil money.

Nothing wrong with that. Any such cooperation will be mutually beneficial. Saudi cash will revive our Military R&D and end users will reap its benefits.

Nothing wrong with that. Any such cooperation will be mutually beneficial. Saudi cash will revive our Military R&D and end users will reap its benefits.
Nothing wrong, just it is important to point out that saudi Arabia will never provide the intelligence or leadership in any technical innovation. They are simply the cash cow, I have more respect for those who invent/produce than those who simply use money they got easily under their feet.

Nothing wrong, just it is important to point out that saudi Arabia will never provide the intelligence or leadership in any technical innovation. They are simply the cash cow, I have more respect for those who invent/produce than those who simply use money they got easily under their feet.

Saudi Arabia has been investing a lot in innovation. Tides are turning in KSA though not as quick as we would like to see.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom