Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
CBRN Assessment
Satellite imagery suggests Pakistan building uranium enrichment facility
Karl Dewey, London and Charlie Cartwright, London - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
16 September 2016

1684337_-_main.jpg

Airbus Defence and Space imagery showing the progress of construction at the possible new uranium enrichment complex near Kahuta. Source: CNES 2015. Distribution Airbus DS/2016 IHS
Airbus Defence and Space imagery captured on 28 September 2015 and on 18 April 2016 shows new construction at Pakistan's Khan Research Laboratories (KRL) site in Kahuta that is consistent with that of a uranium enrichment facility.

The area is approximately 1.2 ha in size and is located within the secure area of the KRL in the southwestern part of the complex, which is situated in Pakistan's northeastern Punjab Province.

Roughly rectangular in shape and approximately 140 x 80 m, the new structure is surrounded by scrubland and trees that provide an additional measure of security on the ground.

In addition to being located near to the KRL, a known centrifuge facility, the new building shares similarities with known centrifuge facility structures built by the URENCO enrichment consortium at Capenhurst (in the UK), Almelo (in the Netherlands), and Gronau (in Germany). This may be more than coincidence as Abdul Qadeer Khan, considered by many to be the founder of Pakistan's nuclear programme, worked at URENCO before stealing centrifuge designs and returning to Pakistan to work on the country's centrifuge programme.

As Pakistan continues to refine and enhance its nuclear capability, the country's officials insist that such modernisation efforts are the result of indigenous production and that, since the dismantling of the Abdul Qadeer Khan nuclear smuggling network in the early 2000s, the country has had a strong non-proliferation record.

However, a wider investigation by Project Alpha, a research group based at King's College London, suggests that Pakistan remains reliant on obtaining dual-use goods through a global network of front companies and covert overseas agents for at least some dual-use items. The detailed report of that investigation is forthcoming.

An extended article covering these developments was published online by IHS Jane's Intelligence Review on 15 September and will appear in the November edition of that title.

In addition to nukes, KRL makes a lot of other products, some are known like Anza-series of SAMs and Bakhtar Shikan ATGMs and even Ghauri missiles while the rest are unknown however Pakistan is shifting more towards a plutonium based nuke program so the expansion is unlikely to be related to U-235. It can be for other projects.
Every 2-3 months we have similar articles popping in Indian and western newspapers and electronic media. This is really surprising and shocking that how they are bringing Pakistan's nuclear program to the lime-light while Pakistan is already an overt and establishment nuclear power and this attention is really disgusting and simpletons we shouldn't go gaga :-)yahoo:) on such articles because, for one, these are aimed at creating fear around the globe about Pakistan's nuclear program and second they don't have iota of information all they are doing is guesses and estimates in very non scientific way thus their numbers shouldn't be taken as the truth.

Why they never talk about India's nuclear program? I believe India is making more nukes than Pakistan and the latter needs to ramp up not only the production but also the quality i.e. triple-action thermo nukes.

Last edited:
In addition to nukes, KRL makes a lot of other products, some are known like Anza-series of SAMs and Bakhtar Shikan ATGMs and even Ghauri missiles while the rest are unknown however Pakistan is shifting more towards a plutonium based program nuke program so the expansion is unlikely to be related to U-235. It can be for other projects.
But it can also be for our nuclear program...:azn:
Either way, good news!

BTW Pakistan is a nuclear country and is a declared nuclear power, get over it. It can do what it wants.
I do not dispute this. But this will not have any positive impact for our bid to NSG...

I do not dispute this. But this will not have any positive impact for our bid to NSG...

It is irrelevant as no one has actually seen what is being built..it could just be a research lab or used fuel processing..

It is irrelevant as no one has actually seen what is being built..it could just be a research lab or used fuel processing..
How will an international party see it? Unless KRL is visited by UN delegation or NSG or some other similar delegation, it will most probably be assumed that it is nuclear facility as the probability is quite high. No one also expects that KRL will issue anything relating to this. So it is much relevant if we want to enter NSG. But, we can always play it down. Anyway, NSG is not in our near future so lets chill for now.

But it can also be for our nuclear program...:azn:
Either way, good news!
I am just debunking the claims by the newspaper. It can be nuke related but I doubt it is for the centrifuges since our plutonium program has come online and Pakistan will be moving in forward direction...i.e. H-bomb since India is investing a lot in H-bombs and Pakistan needs to do that.

Look at those comments DAMN

The amount of anti muslim comments published on reputed TOI site is disgusting...

U know we curse US and west ...and we should but a single sentense like that on a website like that can end a blue blooded blue eyed white royality in jail for a year or so....

Both may be enemies but one is a worthy and honorable...the others are simply dishonorable ...

An empty structure without building, windows, people in it doing "something" can't harm any bid. Let alone something as sensitive as NSG. NSG has its own criteria and complexities. If Pakistan was to get it, I am sure this site will become a part of the NSG protocol too.

They should perhaps also publish sattelite photos of American embassy in Islamabad (aka listening station).

What a massive structure it has become, how it is expanding and what buildings are being constructed there.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom