What's new

Kongsberg's JSM missile to be added to Eurofighter Typhoon weapons package

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Kongsberg plans to add its Joint Strike Missile to the Eurofighter Typhoon fighter jet's weapons package, the Norway-based missile manufacturer unveiled today at LIMA 2017 exhibition in Langkawi, Malaysia. Preliminary phase has now been launched, Kongsberg said to Air Recognition.

LIMA_International_Maritime_and_Aerospace_defense_exhibition_2017_14.jpg
Kongsberg's Joint Strike Missile showcased at LIMA 2017

Read further details at link given below

http://www.airrecognition.com/index...d-to-eurofighter-typhoon-weapons-package.html

this means there's a buyer in the pipeline, wonder who it can be?

The UK, Italy, Spain, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Germany and Austria, these are the operators of the Typhoon. Norway has an arms embargo on Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Norway recently signed a contract to sell NSM to the German Navy for NOK 10 Billion, so maybe they're looking to augment the Naval Strike Missile with JSM for the German Air Force?

Malaysia is a possible candidate too. The Malaysian Navy has signed a buyers agreement for NSM, and is hosting a fighter tender which the Typhoon is taking part in, against Dassault's Rafale. JSM might be a sweetener.

ORD_JSMs_on_F-18F_Boeing_lg.jpg

JSM (it's only direct competitor being SOM-J) might find a buyer in the United States as well, for the F-35 or Super Hornet.
i know who the operators are, Germany purchased the nsm in return for norway to buy the type 212 to replace the norwegian type-210. i dont know id the agreement extend to the jsm.

The jsm and the som-j are very unique in the sense they are small enough to fit internally of a 5th gen fighter [f35/tfx]
QiOdy8E.jpg

the som-j and i assume the jsm are made to use the Universal Armaments Interface (UAI) or nato jets. so in essence any nato bird or possibly drone can hold the jsm or som-j. so it just a matter of funding the intregation.

what strange is that the eurofighter consortium have integrated the jsm which means someone is going to buy it. and your right in saying it would likely be germany.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom