What's new

Know more about India's top secret weapon Kali 5000

Lil Mathew

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi: Kali-5000 is India’s answer to any uninvited incoming missiles and planes. Moreover, the beam can also be used to cripple the enemy satellite and UAVs in no time.KALI stands for Kilo Ampere Linear Injector. It is a linear electron accelerator being developed by the Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) and the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).

Earlier the Kali system was developed for industrial applications and that the defence use was a recent spinoff.
The machine essentially generated pulses of highly energetic electrons. Other components in the machine down the line converted the electrons into flash x-rays (for ultra high-speed photography) or microwaves. The electron beam itself can be used for welding.The KALI project was first mooted in 1985 by the then Director of the BARC, Dr. R. Chidambaram. Work on the Project began in 1989, being developed by the Accelerators & Pulse Power Division of the BARC.

The project was designed to produce electron pulses of about 100 ns with an energy of about 1 MeV, current 40 kA and a power of 40 GW. This Relativistic Electron Beams (REB) thus generated will be used for the generation of High Power Microwaves (HPM) & Flash X Rays (FXR).This has fueled hopes that the KALI could, one day be used in a High-Power Microwave gun, which could destroy incoming missiles and aircraft through soft-kill (destroying the electronic circuitry on the missile).
The KALI’s potential for a military role as a beam weapon has made it, in the eyes of China a threat. The KALI-5000 was commissioned for use in late 2004.However, weaponisation of the KALI will take some time. The system is still under development, and efforts are being made to make it more compact, as well as improve its recharge time, which, at the present, makes it only a single use system.

India TV news, dubious news source:hitwall:

I have heard about Kali from several other sources and am pretty sure its true, but this will never ever come out in public any person involved in these projects will be very very closely monitored and protected ... Same reason why you don't hear a word about the Reusable SLV program of ISRO ...

I heard about this project on sidelines of a seminar. However not much is known about the project. there have been issues with cooling of beam generators and miniaturizing the system to make it airborne.
If one stretches the memory Ronald Reagen had tried similar things in 1980s with concept of concentrated beam energy to rupture the sheaths of incoming missiles and satellites. Unfortunately the thing was too much for 80s technology and the Star wars fizzled out.
I suppose we would do better to concentrate on BMD program that is showing good signs of success and might prove to be a cost effective solution.

The KALI’s potential for a military role as a beam weapon has made it, in the eyes of China a threat

Threat TO/FROM China and Indian media is becoming a heady mix these days.

New Delhi: Kali-5000 is India’s answer to any uninvited incoming missiles and planes. Moreover, the beam can also be used to cripple the enemy satellite and UAVs in no time.KALI stands for Kilo Ampere Linear Injector. It is a linear electron accelerator being developed by the Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO) and the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC).

Earlier the Kali system was developed for industrial applications and that the defence use was a recent spinoff.
The machine essentially generated pulses of highly energetic electrons. Other components in the machine down the line converted the electrons into flash x-rays (for ultra high-speed photography) or microwaves. The electron beam itself can be used for welding.The KALI project was first mooted in 1985 by the then Director of the BARC, Dr. R. Chidambaram. Work on the Project began in 1989, being developed by the Accelerators & Pulse Power Division of the BARC.

The project was designed to produce electron pulses of about 100 ns with an energy of about 1 MeV, current 40 kA and a power of 40 GW. This Relativistic Electron Beams (REB) thus generated will be used for the generation of High Power Microwaves (HPM) & Flash X Rays (FXR).This has fueled hopes that the KALI could, one day be used in a High-Power Microwave gun, which could destroy incoming missiles and aircraft through soft-kill (destroying the electronic circuitry on the missile).
The KALI’s potential for a military role as a beam weapon has made it, in the eyes of China a threat. The KALI-5000 was commissioned for use in late 2004.However, weaponisation of the KALI will take some time. The system is still under development, and efforts are being made to make it more compact, as well as improve its recharge time, which, at the present, makes it only a single use system.

Man, KALI have moved a long way since it was KALI. Now it is GALI. Giga ampere Linear Injection. The most dangerous beam weapon. 
I heard about this project on sidelines of a seminar. However not much is known about the project. there have been issues with cooling of beam generators and miniaturizing the system to make it airborne.
If one stretches the memory Ronald Reagen had tried similar things in 1980s with concept of concentrated beam energy to rupture the sheaths of incoming missiles and satellites. Unfortunately the thing was too much for 80s technology and the Star wars fizzled out.
I suppose we would do better to concentrate on BMD program that is showing good signs of success and might prove to be a cost effective solution.

Threat TO/FROM China and Indian media is becoming a heady mix these days.

I have heard that KALI is now mounted on IL 76. 
I have heard about Kali from several other sources and am pretty sure its true, but this will never ever come out in public any person involved in these projects will be very very closely monitored and protected ... Same reason why you don't hear a word about the Reusable SLV program of ISRO ...

Hey man What about electromagnetic RAIL gun of India. I heard about it a long back in the time of APJ Abdul Kalam? Does anybody have any idea? I do not find anything on Net.

Why would Reusable SLV program have to be a closely guarded secret......it is not defence related........infact ISRO website mentions it..... 

The KALI (Kilo Ampere Linear Injector) is a linear electron accelerator being developed in India

The KALI is not a laser weapon as commonly believed. It emits powerful pulses of electrons (Relativistic Electron Beams- REB). Other components in the machine down the line convert the electron energy into EM Radiation, which can be adjusted to x-ray (as Flash X-Rays) or microwave (High Power Microwave) frequencies.

Last edited:
Why would Reusable SLV program have to be a closely guarded secret......it is not defence related........infact ISRO website mentions it.....

Yes, It is very much on the to do list of ISRO to be realized in 2017 to 2020.

Tum KALI ko GALI de ray....;)

Man, It is an appreciation.

KALI become MALI and now It is GALI. Let's hope it become TALI.

Apart from India, US is working on the same project. The scientists working in American Projects are Indian.

Last edited:
Man, It is an appreciation.

KALI become MALI and now It is GALI. Let's hope it become TALI.

Apart from India, US is working on the same project.

I was being sarcastic...........let's hope it becomes TALI.....:tup:....

Last edited:

Then for Gods sake why are you disclosing this, that on a forum like this !!

If it is/was top secret, why was it came in news in the first place ?:hitwall:

Because it did not have military application in its Initial stage. Subsequently the military application was discovered. I have heard about testing of KALI. It is very horrible. It is very difficult to believe the Power of KALI. Any Awacs or Plane or missiles are sitting Duck against KALI. What is important is that India have to remove the constrains related this project. KALI is a deadly weapon with unimaginable power. 

I was being sarcastic...........let's hope it becomes TALI.....:tup:

If it becomes TALI, We will not not require any BMD or ASW. Power of TALI will be the power of GOD the Yamraj or Shiva the destroyer.

Last edited:
Suggest read post 13 above.
Because it did not have military application in its Initial stage. Subsequently the military application was discovered. I have heard about testing of KALI. It is very horrible. It is very difficult to believe the Power of KALI. Any Awacs or Plane or missiles are sitting Duck against KALI. What is important is that India have to remove the constrains related this project. KALI is a deadly weapon with unimaginable power. 

If it becomes TALI, We will not not require any BMD or ASW. Power of TALI will be the power of GOD the Yamraj or Shiva the destroyer.

Man, KALI have moved a long way since it was KALI. Now it is GALI. Giga ampere Linear Injection. The most dangerous beam weapon. 

I have heard that KALI is now mounted on IL 76. 

Hey man What about electromagnetic RAIL gun of India. I heard about it a long back in the time of APJ Abdul Kalam? Does anybody have any idea? I do not find anything on Net.
If it is/was top secret, why was it came in news in the first place ?:hitwall:

images

images

images

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom