What's new

Knocking on Sharif's door: Here's why Modi forwent isolation, tough talk for diplomacy with Pakistan

Modi like his predecessor will try his hand at biggest foreign policy issue.. kashmir, till he succeeds or burns his hand(like vajpayee).. its what every PM got to do..

A little sane voice as Kashmir has to be inevitably settled as per her people wishes.

The sooner its done more its better for region and for india.

But to deal with years of mass poisoning of Indian masses with Atoot Ang shit would prove to be difficult not for Modi but for every coming indian Pm as well but as I said sooner India mend her ways and adopt converging policies instead of diverting ones more better for her.

If RSS and other hinduvta fanatics dream or believe Pakistan will cease to exit or can be neutralized they are high on some very local booze as Pakistan is on a course where it will only get stronger with time In Sha Allah and our history is a proof of this claim.

The only sane thing is to sit on table along with Kashmiries and decide what should be done.
Why it is always India against inclusion of Kashmiries in Talks on the other hand Pakistan is looking forward to meet and invite Kashmiries?

A little sane voice as Kashmir has to be inevitably settled as per her people wishes.

The sooner its done more its better for region and for india.

But to deal with years of mass poisoning of Indian masses with Atoot Ang shit would prove to be difficult not for Modi but for every coming indian Pm as well but as I said sooner India mend her ways and adopt converging policies instead of diverting ones more better for her.

If RSS and other hinduvta fanatics dream or believe Pakistan will cease to exit or can be neutralized they are high on some very local booze as Pakistan is on a course where it will only get stronger with time In Sha Allah and our history is a proof of this claim.

The only sane thing is to sit on table along with Kashmiries and decide what should be done.
Why it is always India against inclusion of Kashmiries in Talks on the other hand Pakistan is looking forward to meet and invite Kashmiries?
pakistan has actually gone progressively weaker, and thats one of the reason India wants to maintain status quo and delay kashmir issue. As you can see, India's claims has been more strident compared to past, whereas pakistan does not utter kashmir word as much, in international forum.

As for atoot ang, well thats an extreme position, to counter pakistan's own position that kashmir belongs to them. If we start in the middle we will end up giving more to you, I think its a good strategy to start from extreme and give up some claim when you negotiate. The problem with the strategy of course, a lot of people who have grown with atoot ang theory will be sorely disappointed when India actually does the deal. We need a way to stop them derailing the deal, like israeli settlers.
I am too of the opinion that any solution that does not involve kashmiris(of valley, jammu and ladakh, with different aspirations) will be half solution. India has appointed interlocutors to talk to them, and probably they will have final veto on the deal.

Your countries obsession with Kashmir will ensure that there will never be peace in this region...if you personally believe that another country will just give away land on your whims and fancies, then sorry to say you are in a delusional world.

There are people on either side of the border who have similar dreams. It will take time for the people of the 2 countries to realize that status quo cannot be broken and that the LoC will have to be made an IB.

pakistan has actually gone progressively weaker, and thats one of the reason India wants to maintain status quo and delay kashmir issue. As you can see, India's claims has been more strident compared to past, whereas pakistan does not utter kashmir word as much, in international forum.

Well if you think 90% reduction in terror related incidents , new high in foreign reserves , stock market at all times high , signing of nearly 50 billion $ contracts with China, first of its kind defence co operation agreement with Russia in 6 decades ,dozens of infrastructure projects including coal,lng , hrdro and wind power plants roads across Kashmir and balochistan etc means Pakistani is getting weak I would be left with no other option except to call you biased and some one who has no eye on global happenings.

oot ang, well thats an extreme position, to counter pakistan's own position that kashmir belongs to them. If we start in the middle we will end up giving more to you, I think its a good strategy to start from extreme and give up some claim when you negotiate. The problem with the strategy of course, a lot of people who have grown with atoot ang theory will be sorely disappointed when India actually does the deal. We need a way to stop them derailing the deal, like israeli settlers.
I am too of the opinion that any solution that does not involve kashmiris(of valley, jammu and ladakh, with different aspirations) will be half solution. India has appointed interlocutors to talk to them, and probably they will have final veto on the deal.

Well I guess our PM this time in UN general assembly gave india four point solution to Kashmir dispute and Pakistan handed over indian involvement proof in Pakistan to help terrorists with lots of media attention .

So I don't see any slowing down of Pak raising Kashmir at international forums.

Yes involving kashmiries as a third party in this conflict is absolutely necessary and I support this as only this will let us have a lasting solution and peace in this region.

Well if you think 90% reduction in terror related incidents , new high in foreign reserves , stock market at all times high , signing of nearly 50 billion $ contracts with China, first of its kind defence co operation agreement with Russia in 6 decades ,dozens of infrastructure projects including coal,lng , hrdro and wind power plants roads across Kashmir and balochistan etc means Pakistani is getting weak I would be left with no other option except to call you biased and some one who has no eye on global happenings.

Well I guess our PM this time in UN general assembly gave india four point solution to Kashmir dispute and Pakistan handed over indian involvement proof in Pakistan to help terrorists with lots of media attention .

Yes involving kashmiries as a third party in this conflict is absolutely necessary and I support this as only this will let us have a lasting solution and peace in this region.
Actually I would say you are biased, or coming from low expectation which is what giving you an aura of success. Less terror is relative term, you are coming from high base, let me remind you.
Many pakistanis are happy just by the fact that pakistan still stands, if that is the criteria, everything else is a bonus.

I am simply pointing out pakistan was at much better position to negotiate about kashmir in the past and that position has progressively eroded. The reasons could be international islamic terrorism(somehow pakistan got tainted in that), low growth in last decade due to domestic issues, kargil war that made a disputed LoC a holy line and India's emergence onto world stage.
I am comparing with the past, nobody is even suggesting pakistan is not developing or going back in its development. Am pretty sure there are tonnes of good things happening in pakistan, especially in economic front.
And compared to past, pakistanis govt utters less kashmir. There is token one or two utterance now a days. Even kashmiris know this.

Modi surprised everyone by making an unscheduled visit to Pakistan on Friday, sending a clear signal that he was ready to restart and rebuild relations that was unceremoniously put into deep freeze after a brilliant start when he invited prime minister Nawaz Sharif and other South Asian leaders to the swearing-in of the new Indian Cabinet.

On his way back to India after inauguration of Afghanistan’s new parliament building, Modi tweeted that he would meet Nawaz Sharif in Lahore, Pakistan. A surprise announcement by Modi on Christmas day. Modi’s stopover in Lahore comes weeks after External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj attended the Heart of Asia conference on the future of Afghanistan in Islamabad, and announced a 360-degree-turn in Modi government’s Pakistan policy in Lok Sabha.

The announcement vindicated many, including the Opposition Congress Party that argued that talks with Pakistan have to continue irrespective of terror-related incidents and cannot be held hostage by petty politics.

Prime Minister Modi’s visit is politically and diplomatically significant. The BJP that strongly opposed Manmohan Singh government’s decade-long policy towards Pakistan of “keep talking” has now conceded that when it comes to Islamabad it is essential to stay engaged

Prime Minister Narendra Modi with his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif at the latter's residence at Raiwind in Lahore on Friday. PTI / Twitter/@MEAIndiaPrime Minister Narendra Modi with his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif at the latter's residence at Raiwind in Lahore on Friday. PTI / Twitter/@MEAIndia

BJP leaders, including Modi, when in Opposition had demanded that India should not talk to Pakistan until cross-border terrorism ended, those behind Mumbai 2008 attacks were punished and Jamaat-ud-Dawa leader Hafiz Saeed was punished for planning terrorist attacks in India.

In the last 18 months of Modi government, talks with Pakistan were interrupted twice by India with no tangible results. Frankly none of these demands have been met or are likely to be met by Pakistan. Yet the Modi government was forced to retreat and let the National Security Advisors of two countries meet in Bangkok, discuss Kashmir and agree to continue with the talks. It was then that Swaraj’s attendance of Heart of Asia conference was made public.

It was decided that India and Pakistan would hold discussions on wide-ranging issues under the rubric of a Comprehensive Bilateral Dialogue as opposed to the nomenclature of Composite Dialogue or Resumed Dialogue used earlier. Convergence and not confrontation would decide the future of talks between the two.

There is a realisation in New Delhi that little was achieved in the last one year by attempts to isolate Pakistan government. China continues to make inroads and the much publicised signing of 51 MOUs by President Xi Jinping and investment in a land corridor linking Xinjiang with Gwadar Port show Beijing’s deep economic investment in a country that India sought to ignore.

The civilian government of Nawaz Sharif has to work with an overbearing Army whose chief, Gen. Raheel Sharif, has assumed a stature of a “superman” with his pictures plastered across cities and one who is welcomed in world capitals like a statesman. Appointment of a former general Naseer Janjua as NSA in place of diplomat Sartaj Aziz also contributed to a realisation that it was better to talk to NSA with Army links and open a channel of communication with an all-powerful Army. Henceforth, all terrorism-related issues would be discussed between the two NSAs.
The change in Modi government’s approach to Pakistan was signalled in September. After a meeting of RSS with affiliated organisations, a change in outlook was indicated when its leader Dattatreya Hosabale said, “Even Kauravas and Pandavas (in the epic battle of Mahabharata) were brothers. One has to do everything (for better relations).”

Spent a warm evening with Sharif family at their family home. Nawaz Sahab's birthday & granddaughter's marriage made it a double celebration— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) December 25, 2015

On its part the government realised that appearing tough with Pakistan in response to firings across LoC (Line of Control) had a constituency but, it could not be the sole response when it came to dealing with Islamabad. Talks on the sidelines of Ufa summit ended in a joint statement that mentioned terrorism but not Kashmir and within hours, the Nawaz Sharif government had to backtrack under an onslaught of criticism from the army and political parties.

It is naïve to believe that not mentioning Kashmir in a joint statement is a sign of progress and reveals Pakistani commitment to resolve outstanding issues with India. On the contrary, Pakistani Army-sponsored cross-border terrorism for over six decades is a result of Kashmir being viewed as a dispute. That cannot be wished away. Then India thought of moving ahead with South Asian connectivity to the exclusion of Pakistan, a move that again made little progress.
It was India that approached Pakistan for bilateral talks at Ufa and at Paris climate talks Modi met Nawaz Sharif.

Modi’s diplomatic masterstroke by getting Pakistan PM and other South Asia leaders to the swearing-in of his government was frittered away in the months to come when his government’s policy towards Islamabad showed lack of clarity and consistency. Eighteen months later, Modi has sought to erase a period that reflected some immaturity by deciding to engage Pakistan and its military in talks.

Landing in Lahore after a stopover in Kabul, Modi also realises that the road to Afghanistan goes through Pakistan and any hope of joining the Afghanistan Pakistan Trade and Transit Agreement would need Islamabad’s approval.
Manmohan Singh wanted to end his prime ministership with a visit to Pakistan that never materialised. More than Singh, Modi is conscious of his role in shaping India’s destiny and to realise that he has understood that engagement with Pakistan is not an issue to score mere debating points.

Knocking on Sharif's door: Here's why Modi forwent isolation, tough talk for diplomacy with Pakistan - Firstpost

Funny article .
If they moved for something then there is sometype of confirmation from Pakistan about stoping terrorism from other side .About progress .Chabahar port is already in there and we are expanding our fott prints in Afghanistan and also other neighbouring states .

Of Course .That is still not enough to stand up against India.
Except Pakistan and for some extent China we have good relation with all other nations andf huge influence in current international arena .

The author and Indian origin authors, always drive a wedge between Pakistan Army and Pakistan govt. Pakistan govt cant move an inch without Pakistan Army consent on issues related to national security.

What Nawaz is doing overtly in furthering relation with India has covert Pakistan Army support. Pakistan Army is not some terrorist organization that Indians would want everyone to believe. Its a capable, motivated force that has commendable achievements in the war against local and foreign backed terrorists. It has capacity and knowledge too that civilian govts generally lack.

Think about it. Its Nawaz's thrid govt. Yet he does not have a man to be a foreign minister! This is the capacity of Pakistani civilian govts.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom