What's new

Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa, new name for NWFP

Is Rustam Shah Mohmand former ambassador of Pakistan to Afghanistan a member of ANP? becuase i saw his interview on Al Jazeera TV during the Swat operation and he was condemning GOP as masacaring Pashtoon population.

Find Rustam Profile

Rustum Shah Mohmand was born in Peshawar in 1942. He graduated in civil engineering and humanities and then joined the civil service of Pakistan from 1968-69. He has worked as an Assistant Commissioner, Assistant Political Agent in Wana, South Waziristan and a Deputy Commissioner Chitral and Kohat. He has also been Political Agent Khyber and South Waziristan agency and Commissioner of South and North Waziristan agency. He was the Commissioner for Afghan Refugees from 1983-1985 and again from 1992-1996, the Chief Commissioner for Afghan Refugees from 1987-1989, and Home Secretary for the Frontier province and tribal areas between 1989-1991. From 1997-1998 Ambassador Mohmand served as the Chief Secretary for the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) and then as the Federal Interior Secretary in 1999. From 2002-2005 Ambassor Mohmand served as Ambassador for Pakistan to Afghanistan and is currently a consultant to the Pakistan-Afghanistan Peace Commission. He is a Member of the Board of Directors for the Intitute of Policy Studies, Member of the Pakistan Institute for Legislative Development and Transparency (PILDAT), Member of the Board of Directors for the Madina Charity trust, a charity dedicated to the welfare of orphans, a Member of the Board of Directors for the Hira children's home, a high school exclusively catering for orphans, and the Chariman of the Board of Directors of the Paraplegic Centre, a facility devoted to the rehabilitation of paraplegis, and is an analyst on tribal and Afghan affairs.

:pakistan:

So now that name change.

will there be peace and stability in the region and what if none Pakhtoon become the majority populaiton in Pakhtoonkhwa Hazara in future? :undecided:

haha i feel sorry for the Americans theyre already having a hard time with the "khhhs" and the "taans" but i bet they're gonna be nicknaming it "new vietnam" soon

Afghanistan would have become part of pakistan only if people of Afghanistan decided to that, but Bacha Khan alwlays wanted NWFP to become part of afghanistan gradually because Afghanistan has Pashtoon population and they felt closer to them than Panjab. ANP still down in the heart believe in this and there is not shortage of Pashtoon nationalisits who want to join Afghanistan, they even refer to Balouchistan as South Pakhtoonkhwa.

Joining Afghanistan doesnt make much strategic sense. Even if they did separate from pakistan they would join a country which is far far worse than Pakistan in every single way. Also the minorities in Afghanistan will never allow so many pushtuns to join Greater Afghanistan and lose their place in Government completely. The only reasons why afghan rulers in the past wanted Balochistan and NWFP to become part of afghanistan is because they wanted to completely marginalize their ethnic minorities and also because they wanted access to water.
So the Pipe dream that someone living in Kazakhstan has about whats happening in the hearts of pushtuns is a little silly. The demographics have also changed since the early 70's. There are a lot of pushtun in Punjab and a lot of Panjabis in NWFP. Also the biggest pushtun city in the world is Karachi. Now i dont think that Karachi is ever going to become part of Afghanistan do you. :chilli:

However you look at it, PPP is screwed :D

They had purposely inserted this change into the 18th amendment so that it gets indefinitely delayed till ANP and PML-N come to terms.

PML-N basically said after all you guys made the 5th province called Gilgit Baltistan, which is sort of a dual name too, so why not Pakhtoonkhwa Hazara?

PPP wanted this issue to go on and on and on and then blame PML-N for delaying the 18th amendment. Now they will need to cook up some new excuse.

but Bacha Khan alwlays wanted NWFP to become part of afghanistan gradually because Afghanistan has Pashtoon population and they felt closer to them than Panjab.
No he only wanted to rename nwfp as pakhtoonistan.
Review: Bacha Khan and his politics -DAWN - Books and Authors; March 14, 2004
In his book, Syed Fida Yunas has brought out some relevant facts, which lead to the conclusion that Bacha Khan wanted an autonomous province of Pakhtoonistan within Pakistan, whereas Afghanistan adhered to its irredentist claims with ambiguous shifts — from ‘annexation of the land once ruled by Ahmad Shah Abdali (1747-1773) to the right of self-determination to the peoples of what it called occupied Pakhtoonistan.’ The most ardent advocate of Pakhtoonistan was Sardar Daud, who himself, at one time, admitted that no leader of the National Awami Party (successor of Khudai Khidmatgars and predecessor of the Awami National Party), including Khan Abdul Wali Khan, was in favour of secession. As quoted by his deputy foreign minister, Abdul Samad Ghaus, “Daud mentioned that NAP leaders had been accused of secessionist designs. ‘While nobody can know what is in a man’s heart’, he said, ‘to us none of the ones with whom we have spoken, including Wali Khan, said that they wished to separate from Pakistan.’” (The Fall of Afghanistan — An Insider’s Account)

So what about Hazara having 7 million poeple speaking Hindko? and
and plenty of poeple are not pukhtoon in Peshawar, Kohat, Batgram.

why not give a decent and Historical name like 'Khyber' etc.

The same can be said about punjab,there are millions of seraiki in south punjab,so should we name it as punjab-seraiki province.

Well,

everyone says Pukhtoonkhwa! where as it is quite famous (except for the Bengal part) that

we have the word PAKISTAN - a combination of like:

P(Punjab) + A(Afghania) + K(Kashmir) + S(Sindh) + Tan(Balochistan) !!

So Why Pukhtoonkwa? Why not Afghania?? :confused:

Someone said, Bacha Khan wanted Afghania/Pukhtoonkhwa to be part of Afghanistan :woot: it should be the other way around! Afghanistan should be like a 5th/6th province of Pakistan :agree: (though I know all my friends here would say we only lose in this deal :P :lol:)

The best way to administer this country would be to respect the nations that make it up - divide into large units dictated by nationhood (nation here = Punjabi, Pushtun etc.). However, our people, being the simple and gullible easily misguided they are would make this into lines that divide rather than ones that could give strength :undecided: (so its a double edged sword I'm afraid)

and then divide those larger units into subunits based on cities and towns. This would give us 7 or 8 provinces. A combination of the current model fused with a sub county/city (Roman city states model).

To simplify it further, it would be like the US states except here we would have the individual groups making up our country.

....But then...... well, I really think it would end up serving the designs of our "not so well wishers" perfectly and that would be BAD.

:pakistan:

It's an extremely complicated mess. The current set-up is the seed of colonial rule which only favours the rich elite and corrupt puppets. Autonomy on provincial and supplementary sub levels should not be taken as total freedom. What you need is a centrally governing authority which consists of political representatives from all provinces. A central authority which is supreme. Furthermore, you need to provide some level of autonomy to all the provinces that can act on a secondary level. In the end, it's all about keeping the house-cards stacked together.

I think it can be given a lot of names or maybe even split into 2 provinces.
Maybe it shall be named Khyber or Abaseen...names which were proposed for NWFP.

I hope its not predatorville or reaperdale...

Who proposed these names?
Well not majority of pushtoons or ANP proposed those names, those names were proposed buy outsider or shall i say non pushtoons to eliminate them from their historical roots.

If you was to hold a referendum that majority will seek the name afghania as its represents all ethnic groups of nwfp even including some balochs as well have same acentry and connection with afghania and central asia.

I am up for a referendum so the people can decide what name to have and no other pakistani has any busness to interfere in the matter as its up to people of nwfp and joing pushtoon areas that fall on the punjab side of indus such as attock.

So now that name change.

will there be peace and stability in the region and what if none Pakhtoon become the majority populaiton in Pakhtoonkhwa Hazara in future? :undecided:

As in the secret manifesto of ANP any other group that has no afghan turanic linage will be only allowed to live temporarily in nwfp and purchasing of property etc on permanent basis for those individuals will be not allowed, there is not high percentage of non afghan/turanic people in nwfp and hopefully it will remain as so in the future.

I think most practical idea will be merged all four provinces into one unit and then small states based on equal population can be made and named on great independence leaders and poets , for example Ghushal Khan Kattak,Adbul Rab Nistar(NWFP)Allama Iqbal(Kashmir),QuaideAzam ,liaqat Ali Khan(Sindh),Choudary Rahmat Ali, Baba Bula Shah, Baba Fareed(Punjab),Nawab Akbar Bukti(Balouchistan).

Names of cities,airports,railways stations,universities,mosques shall be renamed on great muslim war heros,shaba RA and nishan haider holders.

khushal khan khatttack was a classic example of a pushtoon looser, the only name from modern era that can even be considered is after the great khan himself khan abdul ghaffar khan.

When I said Afghanistan should be a 6th/7th province of Pakistan I was saying so because I am a full blooded Khattak, the original home of the Khattaks (little do people know) is current day Loghar and Ghazni.

We share everything, history, religion, culture and on and on. and we supply them with their bread, fuel etc. etc. Afghanistan is my ancestor's land and Pakistan is mine, we should unite, unity gives strength.

Put your nationalism aside, think of the EU and NATO like organizations, this is the age of unity, otherwise, be left alone, as individual islands (In Urdu - Derh Eent ki masjid) and get free A** rapes (sorry for the French but this goes to show the severity) like Afghnistan is being subjected to!

Our ancestors (I can proudly declare mine because they were workers of the Pakistan freedom movement) stood for Pakistan. As Pushtoons we will die by our word, and we will always be Pakistanis to whatever end :pakistan:

As for Pushtoons having issues with Punjabis, if there are any, they are miserable self delusional idiots - As Muslims and Pakistanis, there is no nationalism before fraternity, shame on all those who think so, they are only FASCISTS!!

Well you may represent the views of khattacks but there many pushtoons other then khattacks such as afridis, mohmands, bangash, yousufzoi and many others i doubt you speak for them, mind you khattacks were the weakest link of pushtoon family so not suprised at your comments.

Your brothers are being killed, deprived of their rights and you side with the people who we have nothing in common with from skin colour to language to culture.

what i would like to know from fellow members here is why they are so anti name change, is it not up to the people of nwfp?

Do you think its fair that a quota system gives more to punjab as it has higher poulation?

Doo you not think it should be equal regardless of population percentage? , and if people are starving and dying in punjab then thats that provinces problem.

Do you think democracy works when punjabis account for 60 plus percent of population?

Do you think 60 years of opression brushing pushtoon and baloch history under the carpet can carry on, names of people such as bacha khan eliminated and a dravidian man called jinnah preached to us as baba e qom.

To who is Jinnah baba e qom?

Punjabis gave their land along with pushtoons, sindhis and balochs to make pakistan, what did muhajors and memons give?. Now you got mqm and others trying to take control.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom