What's new

Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa, new name for NWFP

oh well i was strictly against the name which describes only one certain tribe/clan or an ethnic group. But when you see other provinces of Pakistan its a good decision.

For example PUNJAB is clearly representing Punjabis
Sindh for Sindhis
Balochistan for Balochis

So its not a big deal if they choose Pakhtoonkhwa for Pakhtoons :D

however i recommend a name that has nothing to do with certain peoples. We are all Pakistanis and hold the right to live anywhere with equal rights. In another words this is going to remain a dominant group in NWFP from now on. I would have preferred a name that has nothing to do with one certain group. You know like in UK for example What does London means? nothing........ it represent nobody...... or birmingham or manchester? it has nothing to do with a certain group of peoples. So i would have renamed all Provinces with a different name representing not only one group but the whole lot of peoples living in it

The bottom line is: I don't mind this name considering the the names of other provinces Punjab, Balochistan, Sindh

What is the population ratio of Pushtun and HazaraWal in NWFP?
If Pushtun are in big majority then the name should be Pakhtoonkhwa.

People of Hazara are die hard voter of PML(N), well Nawaz Sharif is Kashmiri and with a son in law from Hazara he will not take any step to upset his voters there.

Punjabi's love Kashmirs they have a Kashmiri as their Chief minister (Mian cast )and Kashmiri Butt are also living in Gujranwala like true Punjabi's so just like them HazaraWal and Pushtun can live as one under Pakhtoonkhwa name.

If you see a body builder in Gujranwala its 100% he is a Butt plus Main and Butt love food.

Mr Hazara
2beb8a4fdea0635455c6c4fadff7c09f.jpg

http://pakistaniat.com/2007/05/25/pakistan-body-building-bodybuilding/comment-page-3/

Last edited:
I think NWFP should be divided in two provinces. One comprising of Pashtoon people should be named Pakhtoonkhua and the second comprising Hazara people should be named as Hazara.

I think NWFP should be divided in two provinces. One part comprising of Pashtoon Pakistanis should be named Pakhtoonkhua and the second comprising Hazara Pakistanis should be named as Hazara. I love Pashtuns. I love Hazarawals. I love Pakistan

Consensus reached on renaming NWFP​

ISLAMABAD: Parliamentary Committee on Constitutional Reforms has reached consensus on renaming NWFP as Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa.

The committee held a crucial meeting in Islamabad in which issue of renaming of NWFP and composition of judicial committee for appointing judges was reviewed.

ANP and PML-N members held a separate consultations meeting mediated by Aftab Ahmed Sherpao.

The members agreed on renaming NWFP as Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa which was received by huge applause in the meeting.

PML-Q had some reservations on renaming of NWFP and requested the committee to hold back formal announcement.

The committee on the composition of judicial committee for appointment of judges agreed that seventh member of the Judicial Commission would be former judge of the higher judiciary to be named by the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.—

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Consensus reached on renaming NWFP

Pakistan moves closer to renaming volatile region

PESHAWAR, Pakistan — The rugged Pakistani province that was once a stomping ground for the British, and more recently gained a reputation as a Taliban and al-Qaida haven, may soon get a mouthful of a new name.

Feuding lawmakers on a committee reached a deal Wednesday to rename North West Frontier Province "Khyber-Pakhtoonkhwa," members said. The agreement removed a key obstacle to the approval of a constitutional reform package aimed at reducing the president's powers and easing political tensions.

The debate that led to it also showed how much ethnic and cultural divisions still burden Pakistan's 175 million people, fostering everything from separatist violence to demands for new provinces six decades after the country was formed under the banner of Islam.

Under tremendous pressure, the ruling Pakistan People's Party has pushed the reform package, which would leave President Asif Ali Zardari, the party chief, largely a figurehead. Former military leader Pervez Musharraf had accumulated the powers when he was president.

Renaming the province was included in the package by the ruling party to get support from the Awami National Party, which leads the provincial government in the northwest.

ANP leaders wanted to call the province "Pakhtoonkhwa" to reflect the Pashtun (or Pakhtoon) ethnicity of three-fourths of its 20 million people. They argued the province's current name does little more than help people find it on a map, while other Pakistani provinces — Sindh, Baluchistan, and Punjab — have names that match ethnic groups.

The main opposition party, the Pakistan Muslim League-N, said "Pakhtoonkhwa" marginalized other ethnic groups in the province. Some members also worried the name could stir grumbling in Afghanistan, which has a huge Pashtun community across the border.

The opposition party, whose primary strength comes from Punjab province, suggested non-ethnic labels such as "Abaseen" or "Khyber" in what is seen as an attempt for it to shore up its support among its non-Pashtun voter base in NWFP.

The compromise reached Wednesday, which was confirmed by committee member Senator Zahid Khan, is aimed at satisfying all parties involved.

The name is still subject to approval by Parliament. Khyber is also the name of a semiautonomous tribal region along the Afghan border that is home to the famed Khyber Pass, a major supply route for material heading to U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan.

In Peshawar, the main city in the northwest, residents generally reacted positively to the news.

"Now both are accommodated, but I think that those who wanted to rename it Khyber will call it Khyber, and those who wanted to rename it Pakhtoonkhwa will call it Pakhtoonkhwa," said Wakeel Khan, a real estate dealer.

Ethnic nationalist sentiments are common in Pakistan, a country carved out of British India in 1947. Although Pakistan's founding father Muhammad Ali Jinnah tried use the banner of Islam in calls for unity, divisions have long festered.

In Baluchistan, separatists have long fought for greater autonomy, or even independence, from a federal government they see as indifferent to their needs.

In southern Punjab, the minority Seraikis occasionally raise calls for their own province. And in NWFP, minority Hindko speakers living in Hazara division have at times also rumbled with demands for their own province.

"The fact is that after 62 years, we are not a nation," said Pervez Hoodbhoy, a political commentator in Islamabad. "And although we could eventually become one, there's been a lot of time lost and we have moved in fact into the other direction."

Israr Khan, 33, a manual laborer in Peshawar, urged the politicians to remember that Pakistan has more pressing challenges than what to call a province.

"The price hikes, shortages of flour, sugar, electricity and lack of work are much bigger problems for me," Khan said. "The name of the province is not of any use in my kitchen."

The Associated Press: Pakistan moves closer to renaming volatile region

SINDH Kyber Pakhtunkha PUNJAB BALOCHISTAN Monga tool yaoo oo yaoo de PAKISTAN
PAKISTAN Pak saro sir zameen da, awalam pathan walda Pakistani dee diya pakhtoon
:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Sarhad ka nia naam pashtoonkhah rakh ker ANP ne jo nafraton kapoda lagaya he us se kabhi phool nain khelien ge.
Hazara her soorat alag ho ker nia sooba banay ga.
hum logon ke liey apnay ilaqay ko sarhad ke bajai pashtoonkhah kehna sour khanay ke laiq hey.nawaz sharif ne sirf apnay aur apnay bhai ke teesry bar wazeer ahzam o wazeer e ahla bannay ke liey yeh sab kerwaya hey.
wazir e ahzam bannay to benazir bhi aee thi, woh abhi kahan hey…
Hazara bolnay walay punjabi based parties ko vote dena band ker ke ab Hazara National Front ko mazboot karein, Alag sooba hi ab wahid hal reh gia hey

I think NWFP should be divided in two provinces. One part comprising of Pashtoon Pakistanis should be named Pakhtoonkhua and the second comprising Hazara Pakistanis should be named as Hazara. I love Pashtuns. I love Hazarawals. I love Pakistan

I dont think any provience should be named, that represent nationality. Provience for nattionality shouldnt be appreciaed.....

We are already facing problem about Balochistan.....n we lost Bangladesh....Those countries (dont want to mention the name) having multiple nations in a country (even holding a single religion) may hav a chance to split down.

So, thats Y I strongly disagree with Pakhtoon name.
Secondly Punjab is on name of 5 rivers (Panch Aab)

Sindh is for River Sindh.

Gilgit Baltistan is for Gilgat and Baltistan districs.

Jammu n Kashimir (Jammu n Kashimir district) Sooner or Later

Sarhad ka nia naam pashtoonkhah rakh ker ANP ne jo nafraton kapoda lagaya he us se kabhi phool nain khelien ge.
Hazara her soorat alag ho ker nia sooba banay ga.
hum logon ke liey apnay ilaqay ko sarhad ke bajai pashtoonkhah kehna sour khanay ke laiq hey.nawaz sharif ne sirf apnay aur apnay bhai ke teesry bar wazeer ahzam o wazeer e ahla bannay ke liey yeh sab kerwaya hey.
wazir e ahzam bannay to benazir bhi aee thi, woh abhi kahan hey…
Hazara bolnay walay punjabi based parties ko vote dena band ker ke ab Hazara National Front ko mazboot karein, Alag sooba hi ab wahid hal reh gia hey

Thats really funny....
People like u creating problems in Pakistan.
Even if u get new name called Hazara...wt will happen nothing only hate n nationalism will be created. If every one think like u then we would be having 32 proviences.....which will create more probllems....
Concept of district wil be burried and ur enemies will take u up.

pakhtoon khawa is bad name of history wid biased background

problem wid anp is that they think that they are in majority and also there name should be imposed than it simpluy means thats they are cornoring the hazarians
this need to be stopped
and best name which make some sense os that abaseen

what is this... name changing revolution in our countries....in india also several cities have got their name changed.....

naam badalne se kya milta hai....aam logon ko bhale hi thodi paresani hoti hai...

This revolution will bring "peace and prosperity" to common man in both countries.:rofl:

Being a punjabi, if my pushtoons brothers and sisters are happy with this name, so am i. Only i thought that their main problems are poverty and peace, not the name.:pakistan:

Thats really funny....
People like u creating problems in Pakistan.
Even if u get new name called Hazara...wt will happen nothing only hate n nationalism will be created. If every one think like u then we would be having 32 proviences.....which will create more probllems....
Concept of district wil be burried and ur enemies will take u up.

Listen mate, we are the one who voted to join Pakistan in 1947 not the ANP and their Guru Bacha Khan.It was effort of Khan Abdul Qayyum Khan, Sardar Abdul rab Nashter join pakistan, both were Hindko speaking.
ANP is the party who was against the creation of Pakistan in the first place, they still are anti-Pakistan party.
Hazara has always been stronghold of Muslim League now N and Q.
The mistake we made was to vote these Panjab based parties who protected their own interest not our when it came to rename N.W.F.P.
There is noway we will live in a province call pashtoonkhah, we are not pashtoon and will not give anyone right to call our area the name we always hated.We are the inhabitant of the N.W.F.P and pashtoon tribes actually migrated to N.W.F.P from Afghanistan. They do not belong to this land, they are afghan by race and should go back to Afghanistan.
Remember where Bacha Khan is buried, Jalal Abad, that proves they are from the area which is in present Afghanistan.
We also want Pak Govt to send Afghan Refugees( locally called Kabli) immediately to their home as they will also claim to have a province an Pakistan.

I think it's a good logic, we had Punjab, Sindh and Baluchistan, but calling a province NWFP just didn't sound right. Anyways the K and P of Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa already exist in Pakistan.:partay:

Back
Top Bottom