What's new

Kho People of Chitral

salam.pakistan

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I am my-self kho from Chitral and more than 90% of Chitral population is Kho. Kho people are not Kalash and are all Muslims. On various forums I have seen ignorant people lumping all people from North of Pakistan, Afghanistan and Kashmir into one group for convenience.This really irritates me. Dardic is just a linguistic group name not an ethnic one. Then there are other ignorant fellow countrymen from the south who call us Pushtoons which we are not. Kho people have a considerable population of more than half a million. They are also found in Ghizer in Gilgit, Swat, Badakshan, Kunduz, Balkh, Takhar, Uzbekistan and Istanbul Turkey. As for as Genetics is concerned The haplogroup R1b (Y-DNA) is found at a frequency of 80% among the Kho people. Many are in Paragroup M343, also found in some Central Asian peoples. I am sharing Some photos of Kho people. Long live Pakistan.
15698304_1481274791901508_2339198571257895711_n.jpeg
ch.jpeg
football_match_in_chitral_by_vashain-d53rrx2.jpeg
IMG-20161222-WA0000.jpeg
15540873_1174245192671655_4234935697693399182_o.jpeg
470.jpeg
Pic-by-Gul-Hamad-Faroqi1-680x365.jpeg
Sports-news-pic-by-ayaz-raza.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the info bro. I would love to visit Chitral on my next trip to Pakistan and stay at the Hindukush Heights, this has been my plan for almost 3 years but I've not had a chance to go back due to work.

What places would you recommend to someone visiting Chitral? I would love to meet the local Kho population and have a nice local meal :)

Regarding people lumping all northern ethnicities into one group of Pushtoon, is due to lack of exposure to the region. When you explore the region and meet people you learn so much.

I know there are many more ethnicities living in the region, however small they might be. Have their own language, food, legends etc. Im sure there are members on this forum who belong these ethnicities, please share the info, these sort of threads are my favourite.

Thanks for sharing the info bro. I would love to visit Chitral on my next trip to Pakistan and stay at the Hindukush Heights, this has been my plan for almost 3 years but I've not had a chance to go back due to work.

What places would you recommend to someone visiting Chitral? I would love to meet the local Kho population and have a nice local meal :)

Regarding people lumping all northern ethnicities into one group of Pushtoon, is due to lack of exposure to the region. When you explore the region and meet people you learn so much.

I know there are many more ethnicities living in the region, however small they might be. Have their own language, food, legends etc. Im sure there are members on this forum who belong these ethnicities, please share the info, these sort of threads are my favourite.
Thank you brother. You are welcomed to Chitral. In Chitral you should visit Chitral Gol National Park, Badshahi mosque, Kalash vallies, Shandoor and others.

Do you speak Khowar?

I think Khowar, i can speak it. Chitral has a lot of historic links to GB.

One question.

How different Khowar is different from other languages of GB like Shina or Wakhi or Balti etc?

Are they different dialects of same language or they are completely different languages altogether?

Anyways great to have a member from Chitral.

Are they different dialects of same language or they are completely different languages altogether?
They are completely different languages, some linking to Central Asia, some have Persian links. I myself can speak Khowar and Shina, and somewhat understand Burushaski, and then you have Balti and other languages. I don't think there is a big link between these languages. Some languages might have a link like Waki and Balti, not too sure. Then you have different branches of the mentioned languages. People in Hunza speak Burushaski different to us(people in Ghizer).
@unleashed ,@shimshali ..

Chitral has a lot of historic links to GB.
Yess!
My great grandfather (Shah Nadir Raees) empire stretched all the way to Gilgit and I also read somewhere that the (Raees) who also ruled Gilgit are connected to our family (Mir-raees).
People of chitral sometimes refer to some people as kho as a disparaging term and I've no idea what's that all about lol.

Back
Top Bottom