What's new

Khattak in combative mood as he pushes PTI’s reform agenda

Leader

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

“I have fought elections all my life and was ready in case of need to fight again for the office of the central general secretary of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf,” declared Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Pervez Khattak as he battled to ward off the latest challenge in his 30-year political career.

This time the issue of dual office was highlighted by some of Pervez Khattak’s PTI colleagues to put pressure on him to give up his position as central general secretary of the party following his election as the chief minister. The issue was raised at the PTI’s central executive committee meeting in Islamabad on July 5, but the combative, 63-year old Pervez Khattak managed to defend his case.

“A few members of the central executive committee raised the issue in the meeting. I argued that I was an elected central general secretary having won it in open contest. And I added that I was ready to contest for the office again as I have been fighting elections all my life,” explained the chief minister.

Pervez Khattak claimed that majority of the central executive committee members backed his stance. He refuted reports that his party leader Imran Khan had asked him to give up his post as the central general secretary of the party and keep that of the chief minister. “There was no argument between us. Imran Khan didn’t ask me to quit my post in the party so there was no question of my refusal to obey his instructions,” he stressed.

He wondered why the media was highlighting unsubstantiated news and not giving importance to clarifications issued by his government. “We immediately gave our version of the happening, but the TV channels that ran the incorrect news chose not to carry it,” he complained.

Pervez Khattak has also been criticized for securing PTI tickets for his son-in-law and nephew Dr Imran Khattak to contest by-election on the NA-5 Nowshera seat vacated by him and earlier promoting the candidature of his female relatives for election as lawmakers on the PTI ticket. His tax returns are being scrutinized and his every move is critically analyzed.

Pervez Khattak’s past political career, hopping from one party to another, and his relatively short, 18-month association with the PTI are also mentioned to question his loyalty to Imran Khan. However, there is also grudging appreciation for his scandal-free politics and his considerable appeal as a proven vote-getter. He not only won seats in the National Assembly and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly in the May 11 general election but also led PTI candidates to sweep the polls in his native Nowshera district.

Otherwise a humble man, Pervez Khattak has been using some tough language against government officers unwilling to mend their ways and apparently not keen to embrace the PTI’s reform agenda. At a recent workshop devoted to reforming the working of the police station, he came down hard on corrupt civil and police officers and said he had been hoping for the last one month since taking over as the chief minister that these officials would reform themselves. “There is corruption in every government department. This has to change because the PTI has been voted to power to bring reforms and facilitate the people,” he declared.

Obviously, such blunt talk won’t please the bureaucrats even though it is being generally welcomed by the public. Pervez Khattak is being advised to be patient and diplomatic as his forthright comments were upsetting the civil and police officers. “This is from the heart!” is his response when well-wishers ask him to show restraint in his criticism of these officers at public events.

Khattak in combative mood as he pushes PTI

“I have fought elections all my life and was ready in case of need to fight again for the office of the central general secretary of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf,” declared Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Pervez Khattak as he battled to ward off the latest challenge in his 30-year political career.

This time the issue of dual office was highlighted by some of Pervez Khattak’s PTI colleagues to put pressure on him to give up his position as central general secretary of the party following his election as the chief minister. The issue was raised at the PTI’s central executive committee meeting in Islamabad on July 5, but the combative, 63-year old Pervez Khattak managed to defend his case.

“A few members of the central executive committee raised the issue in the meeting. I argued that I was an elected central general secretary having won it in open contest. And I added that I was ready to contest for the office again as I have been fighting elections all my life,” explained the chief minister.

Pervez Khattak claimed that majority of the central executive committee members backed his stance. He refuted reports that his party leader Imran Khan had asked him to give up his post as the central general secretary of the party and keep that of the chief minister. “There was no argument between us. Imran Khan didn’t ask me to quit my post in the party so there was no question of my refusal to obey his instructions,” he stressed.

He wondered why the media was highlighting unsubstantiated news and not giving importance to clarifications issued by his government. “We immediately gave our version of the happening, but the TV channels that ran the incorrect news chose not to carry it,” he complained.

Pervez Khattak has also been criticized for securing PTI tickets for his son-in-law and nephew Dr Imran Khattak to contest by-election on the NA-5 Nowshera seat vacated by him and earlier promoting the candidature of his female relatives for election as lawmakers on the PTI ticket. His tax returns are being scrutinized and his every move is critically analyzed.

Pervez Khattak’s past political career, hopping from one party to another, and his relatively short, 18-month association with the PTI are also mentioned to question his loyalty to Imran Khan. However, there is also grudging appreciation for his scandal-free politics and his considerable appeal as a proven vote-getter. He not only won seats in the National Assembly and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly in the May 11 general election but also led PTI candidates to sweep the polls in his native Nowshera district.

Otherwise a humble man, Pervez Khattak has been using some tough language against government officers unwilling to mend their ways and apparently not keen to embrace the PTI’s reform agenda. At a recent workshop devoted to reforming the working of the police station, he came down hard on corrupt civil and police officers and said he had been hoping for the last one month since taking over as the chief minister that these officials would reform themselves. “There is corruption in every government department. This has to change because the PTI has been voted to power to bring reforms and facilitate the people,” he declared.

Obviously, such blunt talk won’t please the bureaucrats even though it is being generally welcomed by the public. Pervez Khattak is being advised to be patient and diplomatic as his forthright comments were upsetting the civil and police officers. “This is from the heart!” is his response when well-wishers ask him to show restraint in his criticism of these officers at public events.

Khattak in combative mood as he pushes PTI

He seems to be a go-getter.

Hope he succeeds in his mission to improve KP.

peace

Back
Top Bottom