What's new

Kerala confirms 3rd positive case of coronavirus

This has nothing to do with the principles of the testing process. Inadequate samples or those having suboptimal viral load will have less genetic material for the lab diagnosis. These issues are not specific to 2019-nCoV, holds true for all infections.

It was literally said at a briefing on the Coronavirus so yes it is specific.

At the same briefing, Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, also expressed concern about the tests, which he said are worse than those for other diseases.

“We don’t know the accuracy of this test. People who came in were negative, then all of a sudden they were positive,” he said.

“If a person has HIV and I try their blood, I can tell you 100% whether they have HIV. That’s not even near the case with this.”

As reported previously by Business Insider’s Hilary Brueck, the coronavirus is difficult to diagnose.

Its symptoms can look a lot like the flu or a common cold, and common tests like checking somebody’s temperature are not definitive.

Instead, doctors need to tests samples of mucus and saliva in a lab. This can then be analyzed to see if it contains genetic material that matches the virus.

The CDC says it currently has no way to test for the virus before somebody starts displaying symptoms, meaning that there is no way to identify people during the virus’ incubation period, which is up to 14 days.

Who are you making fool?
A better question would be why is your government making a fool of you. Not a single detected CoV case in your country, you really believe it?

Cases of nCoV have reached our shores in India and Pakistan much before the official confirmation of the disease, you are living in a fool's world if you still believe that you are somehow shielded by your inept government's decision of leaving your students stranded in China.

@SrNair there 2826 suspected cases of Coronavirus in India of which 2743 are in their houses interacting with their families and making them sick as well and there are 84 cases in Indian hospitals. Who are you making fool? Declaring 3 and hiding rest will some how hide the truth?
Your govt fucked up with evacuation and you know it. Now they are hiding the truth.

Pakistan will not make the mistake your govt made relax.

Oh really?
Where did you learn?
Whatsapp university .

One more thing.
You donot get free medication in China unless you are a citizen of PRC.
One Indian suffering there and their family need to pay 1 crore INR to cover expenses in China.

So far only 3 cases in India and all in Kerala.
We knows how to handle ,we did that before we will do it again

It is actually! Genomic sequence has been made available to enable the institutions devise their own primers for PCR. Assays for conserved regions of the genome help identify all cases of coronavirus infections (lots of false positives may come forth @masterchief_mirza, and this isn't a bad thing as you indicated in another thread that's now closed) and then the non conserved regions can be tallied for specific diagnosis for the novel variety of the virus. It is a foolproof method.

Well said, friend. PM's post is above all political differences. He is our beloved leader across the length and breadth of INDIA even for those who don't vote for his party.

Yup.
These Pakistanis are very funny.
They are saying that we are obsessed with them but if there is a terrorist threat or huge inflow of minorities our leaders dont have any choice but to name them.
But until none of our leaders comments about a law passed in Pak Parliament or their political parties.

They have a lots of imagination about our democracy

It was literally said at a briefing on the Coronavirus so yes it is specific.
“If a person has HIV and I try their blood, I can tell you 100% whether they have HIV.
FYI serological diagnosis for HIV takes around 12 weeks time since infection, viral antigen tests shows immediate results once sufficient load is achieved. Same is the case with nCoV, and anyone who argues with the principles of the testing method is terribly misinformed.

You think Pakistan is worried we are not and nor are our students worried. You have brought coronavirus to India now enjoy it bro.

Well we wont stand firmly with some foreigners under our citizens expense .
For us our citizen interest is prime .

They asked for evacuation we did it ,like we did during 1990s when we were nothing .
We will do it again even if that from US also.

Well we wont stand firmly with some foreigners under our citizens expense .
For us our citizen interest is prime .

They asked for evacuation we did it ,like we did during 1990s when we were nothing .
We will do it again even if that from US also.

Here the scope of Coronavirus is expanding in India. You played politics with your citizens life and India will suffer. It is very sad that I have to post this news but BJP virus has brought coronavirus to India.

FYI serological diagnosis for HIV takes around 12 weeks time since infection, viral antigen tests shows immediate results once sufficient load is achieved. Same is the case with nCoV, and anyone who argues with the principles of the testing method is terribly misinformed.

The head of the CDC says that testing isnt fullproof, the media says that testing requires 14 days of isolation to confirm. So somehow in less than a week all 300 or so students have been tested and confirmed negative especially considering the shortage of testing kits in other countries and the amount of time labratory testing takes. Yep that sounds fullproof to me nothing to worry about.

the shortage of testing kits in other countries and the amount of time labratory testing takes.
I hope you understand the meaning of the words 'real time' PCR. You should be more concerned about the shortage of PCR kits in your own country and the lack of technical expertise to make them locally resulting in you importing them from Japan, if i remember correctly.

Whilst, we make our own and have adequate supply in ICMR, NIV and VDRL.

Here the scope of Coronavirus is expanding in India. You played politics with your citizens life and India will suffer. It is very sad that I have to post this news but BJP virus has brought coronavirus to India.

BJP,Congress or whatever it is .
That is our domestic matter none of your business.
We are screening everyone that has possibility .
We screened 1.35 lakhs for people.
Through isolation and observation.

We knows and entire world knows you dont have enough facility or money for auch elaborate medical SOP.
Then rolling on floor for justification.
Have some shame

I hope you understand the meaning of the words 'real time' PCR. You should be more concerned about the shortage of PCR kits in your own country and the lack of technical expertise to make them locally resulting in you importing them from Japan, if i remember correctly.

Whilst, we make our own and have adequate supply in ICMR, NIV and VDRL.

There we go, it really didnt take long for the tears to start streaming did it. Keep crying gangu.

Meanwhile 5123 people are quarantined, 1 of your provinces declared an emergency. Yep nothing to worry about, keep your head in the sand.

There we go, it really didnt take long for the tears to start streaming did it. Keep crying gangu.

Meanwhile 5123 people are quarantined, 1 of your provinces declared an emergency. Yep nothing to worry about, keep your head in the sand.
Meanwhile, this is the reality of those who we evacuated from China.

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/al...tive-for-coronavirus/articleshow/73989997.cms

You don't need to be a healthcare professional to understand that not every Indian or Pakistani living in China will contract the virus. But the possibility increases manifold if they are left festering there, as your government decided to do.

Meanwhile, this is the reality of those who we evacuated from China.

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/al...tive-for-coronavirus/articleshow/73989997.cms

You don't need to be a healthcare professional to understand that not every Indian or Pakistani living in China will contract the virus. But the possibility increases manifold if they are left festering there, as your government decided to do.

Yes because our government values the safety of Pakistan first. Hence why there are zero confirmed cases and a handful of people in quarantine. Meanwhile in India the situation is progressively worsening day by day, suspected cases popping up everywhere and thousands in quarantine.

Im sure it was worth the 5 seconds that indian keyboard warriors could have bragging on Pakistani forums :lol::lol:

BJP,Congress or whatever it is .
That is our domestic matter none of your business.
We are screening everyone that has possibility .
We screened 1.35 lakhs for people.
Through isolation and observation.

We knows and entire world knows you dont have enough facility or money for auch elaborate medical SOP.
Then rolling on floor for justification.
Have some shame
Ufff. Please get some brains. What you are calling screening is a mere temperature check by Indian govt that is not screening. We are also checking temperature at air ports. Coronavirus patients in incubation period go undetected. That was why WHO advised not evacuate. You think WHO is idiot and Modi has all the brains. Come on man grow up don't be stubborn. India is facing trouble due to evacuation.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to read through these reports.

@Flash_Ninja
Brother you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT to question the propaganda spewing forth on this thread. It is merely conjecture, propaganda and malevolent design.

The CDC has made the following clear in its guidance on ncov PCR testing:

• A false negative result may occur if inadequate numbers of organisms are present in the specimen due to improper collection, transport or handling.
  • RNA viruses in particular show substantial genetic variability. Although efforts were made to design rRT-PCR assays to conserved regions of the viral genomes, variability resulting in mis-matches between the primers and probes and the target sequences can result in diminished assay performance and possible false negative results.
  • A false NEGATIVE result may occur if inadequate numbers of organisms are present in the specimen due to improper collection, transport or handling.
  • RNA viruses in particular show substantial genetic variability. Although efforts were made to design rRT-PCR assays to conserved regions of the viral genomes, variability resulting in mis-matches between the primers and probes and the target sequences can result in diminished assay performance and possible false NEGATIVE results.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/rt-pcr-detection-instructions.html

Now our friend @Axomiya_lora cleverly stated that I mentioned in another thread that "false positives" may occur and he has further insinuated that false positives are not a problem.

He is wrong on both counts. I never discussed false positives as being the major problem. I clearly stated false NEGATIVES. I truly cannot figure how to easily recover said comments on my crappy mobile but take my word on it.

Firstly, false positives are not ideal in this scenario, but when you're trying to stop an outbreak, false NEGATIVES are a potential disaster.

That is what I stated on the other thread and @Flash_Ninja has correctly echoed this opinion with his own posts.

The bottom line at present is that:

1. Testing with RTPCR as it stands is not foolproof because of false negatives. In any case, not every returnee can possibly be tested or will necessarily show symptoms within two weeks hence remain potential risks.

2. The infrastructural problems and population dependent limitations to outbreak control exist similarly in both Pakistan and India, hence western public health protocols require cautious implementation and even modification.

3. Pakistan was definitely sensible to wait and check the pattern of spread before airlifting everyone back. I argue they should even have waited a bit more. But inevitably, the danger with that would be that more folks would sneak back without screening, so GoP had to make a balanced decision. I don't think GoP has done much wrong. Probably India should have waited a bit too but in all probability, it may not make much difference.

Ncov will reach both India and Pakistan. It's not going to be the end of the world though as it still seems to have low mortality. However pandemics in our nations would have unknown economic impacts.

For the record, closing borders completely will also not help because again, people will sneak across unmonitored. Tight border control is actually the only reasonable solution, which is what WHO recommends.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom