What's new

Keeping the Indian army in line ~ Examining the role of Nehru.

Shabz Nist

Reaction score
Country
India
Excerpts from "India after gandhi ~ Ramachandra guha".

The Indian army is a professional and wholly non-sectarian body. It is also apolitical. Almost
from the first moments of Independence, Jawaharlal Nehru made it clear to the army top brass that inmatters of state – both large and small – they had to subordinate themselves to the elected politicians.

At the time of the transfer of power the army was still headed by a British general, who had ordered that the public be kept away from a flag-hoisting ceremony to be held on the day after Independence.

As prime minister, Nehru rescinded the order, and wrote to the general as follows:

While I am desirous of paying attention to the views and susceptibilities of our senior officers,
British and Indian, it seems to me that there is a grave misunderstanding about the matter. In any policy that is to be pursued, in the Army or otherwise, the views of the Government of India and the policy they lay down must prevail. If any person is unable to lay down that policy, he has no place in the Indian Army, or in the Indian structure of Government. I think this should be made perfectly clear at this stage.

A year later it was Vallabhbhai Patel’s turn to put a British general in his place. When the government decided to move against the Nizam, the commander-in-chief, General Roy Bucher, warned that sending troops into Hyderabad might provoke Pakistan to attack Amritsar. Patel told Bucher that if he opposed the Hyderabad action he was free to resign. The general backed down, and sent the troops as ordered.

Cariappa
Shortly afterwards Bucher retired, to be succeeded by the first Indian C-in-C, General K. M. Cariappa. At the beginning of his tenure Cariappa restricted himself to military matters, but as he grew into the job he began to offer his views on such questions as India’s preferred model of economic development. In October 1952 Nehru wrote advising him to give fewer press conferences, and at any rate to stick to safe subjects. He also enclosed a letter from one of his Cabinet colleagues, which complained that Cariappa was ‘giving so many speeches and holding so many Press Conferences all over the country’, giving the impression that he was ‘playing the role of apolitical or semi-political leader’

The message seems to have gone home, for when Cariappa demitted office in January 1953, in
his farewell speech he ‘exhorted soldiers to give a wide berth to politics’. The army’s job, he said,
was not ‘to meddle in politics but to give unstinted loyalty to the elected Government’. Nehru knew, however, that the general was something of a loose cannon, who could not be completely trusted to follow his own advice. Within three months of his retirement Cariappa was appointed high commissioner to Australia. :lol: . The general was not entirely pleased, for, as he told the prime minister, ‘by going away from home to the other end of the world for whatever period you want me in Australia, I shall be depriving myself of being in continuous and constant touch with the people. Nehru consoled the general that as a sportsman himself he was superbly qualified to represent India to a sporting nation. But the real intention, clearly, was to get him as far away from the people as possible.

As the first Indian to head the army, Cariappa carried a certain cachet, which lost its lustre with every passing month after he had left office. By the time he came back from Australia Cariappa was a forgotten man. Nehru’s foresight was confirmed, however, by the statements the general made from time to time. In 1958 he visited Pakistan, where army officers who had served with him in undivided India had just effected a coup. Cariappa publicly praised them, saying that it was ‘the chaotic internal situation which forced these two patriotic Generals to plan together to impose Martial Law in the country to save their homeland from utter ruination’

Ten years later, he sent an article to the Indian Express, in which he argued that the chaotic internal situation in West Bengal demanded that President’s Rule be imposed for a minimum of five years. The recommendation was in violation of both the letter and the spirit of the constitution. Fortunately, the piece was returned by the editor, who pointed out to the general that ‘it would be embarrassing in the circumstances both to you and to us to publish this article’

The pattern set in those early years has persisted into the present. As Lieutenant General J. S.
Aurora notes, Nehru ‘laid down some very good norms’, which ensured that ‘politics in the army has been almost absent’. ‘The army is not a political animal in any terms’, remarks Aurora, and the officers especially ‘must be the most apolitical people on earth!’. It is a striking fact that no army commander has ever fought an election. Aurora himself became a national hero after overseeing the liberation of Bangladesh, but neither he nor other officers have sought to convert glory won on the battlefield into political advantage. If they have taken public office after retirement, it has been at the invitation of the government. Some, like Cariappa, have been sent as ambassadors overseas; othershave served as state governors.

Nehrusism seems to be disappearing in India and most indians are happy.

Ten years later, he sent an article to the Indian Express, in which he argued that the chaotic internal situation in West Bengal demanded that President’s Rule be imposed for a minimum of five years. The recommendation was in violation of both the letter and the spirit of the constitution.

Just so you know that Article 356 has been applied numerous ties till now..

Nehrusism seems to be disappearing in India and most indians are happy.

Yes and thank God for that..

Thats a surprise, No Army officer is into politics in India - at least the popular one's. The other surprising bit Nehru engineered this? - my respect for Nehru went up a notch.

lol....who knew nehru had such foresight ???? i wish his foresight wud have been better while dealing with the chinese...

The IA quite like the Brit IA has steadfastly kept away from Politics and remained focused upon its primary role. It has by & large kept to itself .

Post independence there was a felt need to set the record straight with regards to how far and much much the Army can step outside the lines. The Generals have been true to their salt & so has the army.

@Capt.Popeye @Joe Shearer @Developereo @niaz @Oscar@nuclearpak @Chinese-Dragon @JonAsad @LaBong @SpArK @Roybot

I would love to hear your take on this particular piece.

Rather accurate, I thought, with some quibbles about tone and nuance.

Cariappa was a wonderful man outside the role that Guha has depicted, a senior general running off at the mouth until reined in by a gentle master who had the right touch. He was far more sophisticated than that. Among others, he had no undue respect for egregious British racism, and was nonchalant about inviting a very junior policeman to the A Mess (whites only, but disguised by a minimum rank bar). He was thoroughly loyal, but fair, never allowing loyalty to influence professional decisions.

Nor was Nehru quite such a sterling character. People forget today that he was a thinly disguised racist, and any fair-skinned Kashmiri had his attention. Any fair-skinned donkey, for that matter; he had little time for the eastern and southern citizens, and always had an awkward equation with them. There were undertones of his prickly relations with Subhas Bose, a Bengali who worshipped strength and autocratic rule, other than any practised on himself, and of the difficult situation in Tamil Nadu during his time, difficulties which persisted until shortly before his death. Even though Coorgs were famously a martial race, every Coorg taking pride in the splendid legacy of his fathers, and striving to exceed it, Cariappa did not figure in Nehru's list of favourites - and his list was tightly defined. I say this with complete acceptance of his mental dependence on both P. C. Mahalonobis and on his eminence grise, the naturally awkward Krishna Menon.

His need to bridle Cariappa may have influenced both Nehru and those around him, those who made a living sensing his desires and wishes and articulating them so that he could gracefully accede to a demand from intellectuals, instead of implementing a policy as his own. His overwhelming sense of self-importance as Indian Foreign Minister, and his many mishaps and bungles in that role, brought about a situation both with regard to Pakistan and to China where the military had a role - and he resented and feared any public comment, even any strongly worded private comment, by the military on such roles. The lead set by Vallabhbhai Patel, with whom too he always had a prickly relationship, continued in his rather more fragile hands. What he did in Kashmir was a disaster. It was always a question of his being on the back foot and forcing India to defend a series of indefensible positions. On the China question, there has been too much written to require further comment, except to point out that Timmy Thimmaiah was another Coorg. Nehru was probably not quite sure how to deal with the straightforward Coorg, and preferred the Mughal sycophancy of political and bureaucratic circles in Delhi.

Last edited by a moderator:
A man can do a thousand righteous acts, yet history tends to remember his shortcomings.

......especially when they become a major source of embarrassment for generations to come.
his efforts in education, industrialization and democracy is commendable of course.

......especially when they become a major embarrassment for generations to come.
his efforts in education, industrialization and democracy is commendable of course.

Relax, I'm not a Nehru supporter. The man clearly had his faults.

Rather accurate, I thought, with some quibbles about tone and nuance.

Cariappa was a wonderful man outside the role that Guha has depicted, a senior general running off at the mouth until reined in by a gentle master who had the right touch. He was far more sophisticated than that. Among others, he had no undue respect for egregious British racism, and was nonchalant about inviting a very junior policeman to the A Mess (whites only, but disguised by a minimum rank bar). He was thoroughly loyal, but fair, never allowing loyalty to influence professional decisions.

Nor was Nehru quite such a sterling character. People forget today that he was a thinly disguised racist, and any fair-skinned Kashmiri had his attention. Any fair-skinned donkey, for that matter; he had little time for the eastern and southern citizens, and always had an awkward equation with them. There were undertones of his prickly relations with Subhas Bose, a Bengali who worshipped strength and autocratic rule, other than any practised on himself, and of the difficult situation in Tamil Nadu during his time, difficulties which persisted until shortly before his death. Even though Coorgs were famously a martial race, every Coorg taking pride in the splendid legacy of his fathers, and striving to exceed it, Cariappa did not figure in Nehru's list of favourites - and his list was tightly defined. I say this with complete acceptance of his mental dependence on both P. C. Mahalonobis and on his eminence grise, the naturally awkward Krishna Menon.

His need to bridle Cariappa may have influenced both Nehru and those around him, those who made a living sensing his desires and wishes and articulating them so that he could gracefully accede to a demand from intellectuals, instead of implementing a policy as his own. His overwhelming sense of self-importance as Indian Foreign Minister, and his many mishaps and bungles in that role, brought about a situation both with regard to Pakistan and to China where the military had a role - and he resented and feared any public comment, even any strongly worded private comment, by the military on such roles. The lead set by Vallabhbhai Patel, with whom too he always had a prickly relationship, continued in his rather more fragile hands. What he did in Kashmir was a disaster. It was always a question of his being on the back foot and forcing India to defend a series of indefensible positions. On the China question, there has been too much written to require further comment, except to point out that Timmy Thimmaiah was another Coorg. Nehru was probably not quite sure how to deal with the straightforward Coorg, and preferred the Mughal sycophancy of political and bureaucratic circles in Delhi.

I have personally never come across anything that suggests Nehru's racist tendencies. I always thought he was quite the opposite. Especially considering his excessive reliance on many southerners and Bengali. As for the rest, it is very accurate and helped me get a better insight. So, Thank you.

I have personally never come across anything that suggests Nehru's racist tendencies. I always thought he was quite the opposite. Especially considering his excessive reliance on many southerners and Bengali. As for the rest, it is very accurate and helped me get a better insight. So, Thank you.

Sadly, I have. Personally, at one remove; my father's bitter accounts.

Back
Top Bottom