What's new

Kayani launches reforms in Pakistan Army

Sir Zafarullah did an excellent job as our first foreign minister (he is by far the best we had), the only people who had a problem with him were the anti Pakistani religious parties of India who later migrated to Pakistan.

You kind of thinking restricted the right men from progressing forward in our country and promotions or selection based on religion or group have been a disaster.

Btw, we also had Zafar Chaudhry as our first Air Marshal and MM Ahmed was the most powerful civil servant of Pakistan. No problems arose because of them apart from some annoyance from religious circles.

Gen Akhtar Hussain Malik too should have become COAS but was given an early leave to make way for handpicked leaders.

And many of top posts were occupied by 'Non Muslims' before Zia started his rule.

Perhaps a lesson in history from a neutral source would be wise.

TFaz.... That was my point also... I have no problem with a professional in important roles... regardless of his/her religion... my point was exactly the irritation that it causes in religious circles...

We need best avoid it...

Unfortunately .... Gen kayani has followed into the footsteps of his predecessor when it comes to selection of senior officers.
In the recent Brig->Gen board.. he selected a person who was on official records..24th on the merit list..and had inquiries against him..
yet he was selected to the objection of Gen Burni..the SG..and a few other Commanders.. as apparently that officer too hails from Sialkot..and has been with Kiyani.
I confirmed this information with not one.. but three senior officers..
So.. whilst these reforms are great..they do little to help the caliber of those in command...
As long as our army does not promote the "capable captains"..and only loyal sycophants are assured of progress after a certain level..then all the reforms in the world..or all the hardware wont make a difference.

Do you ever feel that pressure from outside Pakistan is coming for certain people... like Washington D.C or London?

Do you ever feel that pressure from outside Pakistan is coming for certain people... like Washington D.C or London?

No outside pressure..
Why would there be outside pressure for something as unrelated to the WoT as the General from the Medical corps?

Its simple human corruption.. nepotism.. at its very best..
having your "girayin(if that is best spelling for it)"..or your "yes man".. is preferable in Pakistan then to have the best man for the job.
Take Rehman malik..kiyani himself..Tht general famous with Mush..
Zia.. Zafar chaudry..Yahya khan.. etc.
However.. these "yes men" too have their own aspirations..and when the time comes..they stab their benefactor for their own gain..

There are other cases of outright corruption....or misuse in the army.. even within people we hold as family friends..but ..dirt is dirt.. dress it up with leaves.. perfume it.. it is still dirt.

My perception of the COAS.. fell really low after this board...but that is for another time.

TFaz.... That was my point also... I have no problem with a professional in important roles... regardless of his/her religion... my point was exactly the irritation that it causes in religious circles...

We need best avoid it...

Why are religious circles irritated by such appointments?

As far as I am concerned and as you stated that one who is suitable for a role should be appointed regardless of caste, creed or religion.

That is the kind of Pakistan Jinnah wanted and hoped to see.

Btw, have you read the Justice Munir-Kiyani report, it will give you great insight into the thinking of our religious groups.

Justice Munir-Kiyani report

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom