What's new

Kaveri ready for limited envelope flight testing

it was ready long ago with 82KN of thrust...
whats the thrust now after maturity ?

Yes, Kaveri was able to produce 82kn of thrust...
The main problem with Kaveri was low thrust and overweight
Hope we got some success in that

Wonderful news !! But India does not have an FTB facility to test powerful engines such as Kaveri !! Are we taking this to Russia?

i spilt my coffee laughing at this!
seems our progress is going to leave a deep stain on your psyche.

Wonderful news !! But India does not have an FTB facility to test powerful engines such as Kaveri !! Are we taking this to Russia?
why the hell cant we invest & create facility in India itself when we are talking of developing the entire development ecosystem here itself.

Yes, Kaveri was able to produce 82kn of thrust...
The main problem with Kaveri was low thrust and overweight
Hope we got some success in that
Not o ly that kaveri faced many system failures in lounger operations too.

i spilt my coffee laughing at this!
I am not surprised. The every-day modern life is filled with so many inadvertent innuendoes.

But lets say this, some thrust is still better than those which cann't even get things up and running OR worse those who don't even have the necessary capabilities and have to hire it from their neighbors.

Not o ly that kaveri faced many system failures in lounger operations too.
Not just that, there was a weird sound, a unexpected vibration in turbofan blades.

Thats true. We need a flight test bed. A plane which can mount this engine with other engines to test it. And the required instrumentation.
A must for high altitude testing.

yes earlier also kaveri was flight tested in Russia on iL-76 test bed in 2012 I belive all the parameters were met at than time when air force asked for 95 kn thrust from originally planned 82 kn

Just curious, was this Kaveri a train engine, a ship engine or is it back to be a plane/drone engine?
If India believe that an engine can be use for all 3, India has no idea what it is doing.

Just curious, was this Kaveri a train engine, a ship engine or is it back to be a plane/drone engine?
If India believe that an engine can be use for all 3, India has no idea what it is doing.

There is a spin off version of this for Marine applications. Installed in Rajput Class Distroyers.

why the hell cant we invest & create facility in India itself when we are talking of developing the entire development ecosystem here itself.

The flying test bed is chock full of instruments and has the safety of other engines. And to build a flying test bed for one engine is not a business case. Kaveri was (is?) a lab exercise and not an industrial project. Having an FTB would only make sense if we have a proper engine industry.

Guys : There is this news about Kaveri core thats floating around the internet, can somebody verify?

"The Kaveri Safran has audited did not have an M88 core. It is still the original Kabini core with some modifications"

Back
Top Bottom