What's new

Kaveri engine will not power Tejas MK-1 nor AMCA

somnath

Reaction score
Country
India
Sources close to idrw.org who spoke to us on Kaveri engine program, hinted that development of indigenously developed Engine to power an Indigenous Fighter jet might be delinked and after been in development of last three decades Kaveri engine is unlikely to power any fighter jet in future.

DRDO is not considering Development of Modified Kaveri engine for India’s 5th generation fighter jet AMCA and are looking for a suitable engine from abroad , DRDO has shortlisted some engine based on the required thrust to power AMCA and will be asking OEM’s to Provide further information .

GTRE a DRDO lab which is currently developing Kaveri engine few years back had proposed joint development of new Kaveri engine with French engine maker Snecma but for various reasons and due to strong opposition from Indian air force deal was never pursued and abandoned .

GTRE again had proposed that Kaveri engine when ready and hits production should power Tejas MK-1 batch when aircrafts are due for Mid-life engine change or upgrade but IAF again have declined this proposition and likely will continue to use American made GE engines.

DRDO likely will pursue the development of Kaveri engine further but might only end up powering DRDO developed unmanned Strike Drone dubbed AURA but engine will required to be toned down for drone requirements. AURA likely will be ready by 2020.

Kaveri engine will not power Tejas MK-1 nor AMCA | idrw.org

Sources close to idrw.org who spoke to us on Kaveri engine program, hinted that development of indigenously developed Engine to power an Indigenous Fighter jet might be delinked and after been in development of last three decades Kaveri engine is unlikely to power any fighter jet in future.

DRDO is not considering Development of Modified Kaveri engine for India’s 5th generation fighter jet AMCA and are looking for a suitable engine from abroad , DRDO has shortlisted some engine based on the required thrust to power AMCA and will be asking OEM’s to Provide further information .

GTRE a DRDO lab which is currently developing Kaveri engine few years back had proposed joint development of new Kaveri engine with French engine maker Snecma but for various reasons and due to strong opposition from Indian air force deal was never pursued and abandoned .

GTRE again had proposed that Kaveri engine when ready and hits production should power Tejas MK-1 batch when aircrafts are due for Mid-life engine change or upgrade but IAF again have declined this proposition and likely will continue to use American made GE engines.

DRDO likely will pursue the development of Kaveri engine further but might only end up powering DRDO developed unmanned Strike Drone dubbed AURA but engine will required to be toned down for drone requirements. AURA likely will be ready by 2020.

Now where are the ppl who laughed at me when I said this would eventually happen?

I have been saying for past year that we need to start production of a newly designed engine.we are getting late every year.

Kaveri can serve as a prototype to correct the mistakes we did so as not to repeat them again.

And for the love of god do a jv this time,preferably with npo saturn as russia will be under pressure after crimea based crisis.their engines need upgrade too like rd series so we may get a good deal.

Snmeca or ge already have good stuff so we won't gain much,they won't do a jv with us too as they are short of neither money or tech.

Its the perfect time to tap russians and the tech for type 30 vce intended for pakfa phase 2 or fgfa will find its way into an engine we develop with russians in a jv.

Although they don't need us but money is scarce for them to develop another engine albeit smaller one with thrust comparable to rd33 or 93,somewhere in range of 100-120kn

@he-man Its a good decision if true. Isn' it? Atleast now AMCA project won't be delayed for engine $hit like tejas. Though I think they should start building a new engine but not to link it with project and If completed in future with satisfied performance, no problem adding it in AMCA at later phase.

@he-man Its a good decision if true. Isn' it? Atleast now AMCA project won't be delayed for engine $hit like tejas. Though I think they should start building a new engine but not to link it with project and If completed in future with satisfied performance, no problem adding it in AMCA at later phase.

I agree.
But point is we need a good jv partner.we just cannot do it alone.
And imho uac(russian) really needs money and investment to make a smaller engine along rd series.

We must not waste even a minute

DRDO may decide to develop new engine using snechma core.

Important part of article.

india desperately need this tech....because only after achieving this , our indigenous contribution will rise high...
steal the tech if required..but build it....

It is not a new news at all. Everybody knew that Kaveri will not power LCA-MK1 and AMCA.

india desperately need this tech....because only after achieving this , our indigenous contribution will rise high...

Obviously, question is how we are going to do it?

Building a turbofan engine on own is enormous, resource draining and very complex task.

No nation will help us to develop turbofan engine.

Obviously, question is how we are going to do it?

Building a turbofan engine on own is enormous, resource draining and very complex task.

No nation will help us to develop turbofan engine.
Read my post 2

Now where are the ppl who laughed at me when I said this would eventually happen?

I have been saying for past year that we need to start production of a newly designed engine.we are getting late every year.

Kaveri can serve as a prototype to correct the mistakes we did so as not to repeat them again.

And for the love of god do a jv this time,preferably with npo saturn as russia will be under pressure after crimea based crisis.their engines need upgrade too like rd series so we may get a good deal.

Snmeca or ge already have good stuff so we won't gain much,they won't do a jv with us too as they are short of neither money or tech.

Its the perfect time to tap russians and the tech for type 30 vce intended for pakfa phase 2 or fgfa will find its way into an engine we develop with russians in a jv.

Although they don't need us but money is scarce for them to develop another engine albeit smaller one with thrust comparable to rd33 or 93,somewhere in range of 100-120kn

I seriously doubt they will give us serious help in developing Kaveri.

Though we can take their help while designing power plant for AURA, they will need derated small engines for their own UCAVs.

I seriously doubt they will give us serious help in developing Kaveri.

Though we can take their help while designing power plant for AURA, they will need derated small engines for their own UCAVs.

After crimea they are under tremendous pressure

Back
Top Bottom