What's new

Kashmir War: Did Pakistan give reprieves to India a few times?

Reaction score
Country
India
Lest the readers misinterpret let's be clear that it's about PRE-2000 era (i.e. 90s, 80s, 70s and 60s), NOT the stupid petty incident of February 2019.

Did Pakistan give reprieves to India a few times and is that mistake proving to be costly, even fatal? Pakistan was strong till the end of 1990s. Did Pakistan let India off the hook several times and didn't finish the job when it was on the verge of decisive victory / victories?

Two typical examples that come to mind are:

1) Withdrawal from Kargil 1999

2) Agreeing to Indian requests of ceasefire whenever militants were having upper hand in Kashmir insurgency in 1990s

I bet Pakistani establishment is repenting and kicking itself for showing mercy to the opponent in view of later actions of revoking articles 370 and 35a.

Someone please decipher the allegorical meaning of this Shahid Afridi article. Former cricketer Afridi said, "I believe we’ve beaten them (India) so much that they used to ask us for forgiveness after the match. My most memorable innings was the 141 in the Chennai test." What's the analogy to this in military and international politics? Veterans who served in Pakistan armed forces (like @Aasimkhan, @PanzerKiel) or civilian establishment like (@Lt General) may be knowing the answer.

What happened behind the scenes? Did Indians grovel and aman-ka-tamasha type Pakistanis took pity on them?

Don't dismiss the theory. It's plausible.

- PRTP GWD

All we know for sure is that centuries ago, the mughals and the Delhi sultanate - who at several junctures had the whole subcontinent at their mercy - let their enemies off the hook. Many of those snakes then sold out to the British and returned to haunt these great empires of the medieval and post-medieval/early colonial eras. Had a Hernan Cortez like character been around or had the muslim conquest been anything remotely like Christian conquests of barbarian lands, you wouldn't be around today to tag me in these strange thought experiments of yours.

Thankyou for tagging me.

When you see things retrospectively, you look it them differently. Pakistan had thousand other problems too, Kashmir is just one of them. I don't think there was ever a moment in history where Pakistan could have taken over Kashmir by force or vice versa for India.

I don't thing Pakistan can just enter Indian occupied Kashmir one day and take over. Pakistan is not a rogue state and war is not the solution. This will never happen.

One day into the future the two countries will have to sit together and find a way out.

Not withdrawing from Kargil would have meant all-out-war and Pakistan was already being seen as irresponsible to undertake such an adventure under nuclear umbrella. So, it was either withdraw, all fight an all-out-war-lose and withdraw or MAD

2) Agreeing to Indian requests of ceasefire whenever militants were having upper hand in Kashmir insurgency in 1990s

When did that happen, Pakistan/Militants agreeing to a ceasefire? Yes, 90s were all bloody because LOC was porous and now it has become very difficult to cross LOC and hence the proxy war has gone downhill

pakistan is deep in domestic mess since 1948 till today . how can this country take something ? luckily they did not lost more since 1971 its an achievement i think

pakistan is deep in domestic mess since 1948 till today . how can this country take something ? luckily they did not lost more since 1971 its an achievement i think
But what happened in Kargil? 3000 NLI troops were set and entrenched aur Indian Army ka bahut bada hissa hil gaya tha.

- PRTP GWD

Lest the readers misinterpret let's be clear that it's about PRE-2000 era (i.e. 90s, 80s, 70s and 60s), NOT the stupid petty incident of February 2019.

Did Pakistan give reprieves to India a few times and is that mistake proving to be costly, even fatal? Pakistan was strong till the end of 1990s. Did Pakistan let India off the hook several times and didn't finish the job when it was on the verge of decisive victory / victories?

I bet Pakistani establishment is repenting and kicking itself for showing mercy to the opponent in view of later actions of revoking articles 370 and 35a.

Someone please decipher the allegorical meaning of this Shahid Afridi article. Former cricketer Afridi said, "I believe we’ve beaten them (India) so much that they used to ask us for forgiveness after the match. My most memorable innings was the 141 in the Chennai test." What's the analogy to this in military and international politics? Veterans who served in Pakistan armed forces (like @Aasimkhan, @PanzerKiel) or civilian establishment like (@Lt General) may be knowing the answer.

What happened behind the scenes? Did Indians grovel and aman-ka-tamasha type Pakistanis took pity on them?

- PRTP GWD
Two mistakes, after that it has become almost impossible to get Kashmir by Pakistan on its own.

1- not continuing the offensive and accepting UNSC resolutions in 1948.
2- not siding with China in 1962.

I am sure Pakistan will not repeat them again and if even a limited war is started between China and India, Pakistan will take advantage of it. In case of limited war between India and Pakistan, China will take full advantage of it.

One of the reasons India didn't attack Pakistan post 27th Feb was that she knew China will engage Indian forces on northern border that will give 1-1 ratio between India and Pakistan on LOC and all along the international boundary. With Kashmiris wanting freedom, it could've proved to be a fatal mistake by India.

- PRTP GWD
@Asimzranger @Ace of Spades @sinait @eldarlmari @Safriz

- PRTP GWD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom