What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
Oh I see...... So then How do they co-ordinate an Attack, If these to do not Share command and Control? Seems A bit odd to me...

Rangers is basically a second line force, it is not their job to attack, rather, it is their job to patrol the borders during peace time and hold the line in case of war. Strategy is chalked out through consultation between the two forces but Command and Control is not shared.

That was so funny, i cant stop laughing (Sarcasm), in my country such kind of jokes are known as chussssssssssss :woot:

Kia chuss mari ha :tup:

After reading such post, I believe now you have realized that how a stupid post is responded..

Rangers is basically a second line force, it is not their job to attack, rather, it is their job to patrol the borders during peace time and hold the line in case of war. Strategy is chalked out through consultation between the two forces but Command and Control is not shared.

No I mean an attack In case of Minor skirmish, They absolutely have to take orders from the army, So they obviously have to share command and Control with the army....

Strategy are pre planned, but There might be a quote of law which permits this under serious issues....

Why The Valley Blooms

A LIFETIME OF DEATH AND LOSS IS DRIVING THOUSANDS OF YOUNG KASHMIRIS TO DRUG ABUSE. PARVAIZ BUKHARI REPORTS ON A DISTURBING NEW EPIDEMIC

UNTIL RECENTLY, Akhtar, 29, a resident of Srinagar, the capital of Jammu and Kashmir, could not start his day until he popped eight tablets of Spasmo Proxyvon, a painkiller, into his empty stomach before hitting the road with his auto-rickshaw.
High yield A Narcotics Control Bureau worker destroys poppy crops in Pulwama district (below); an addict receives counselling at a Srinagar de-addiction centre (right)
Photo: Javed Dar

Like him, Bashir, 54, a businessman in the saffron-rich town of Pampore outside Srinagar, would not eat for as long as six days in a row. Till he enrolled himself in a rehabilitation programme recently, Bashir would down half-a-litre of whisky every morning. A widow in the south Kashmir town of Pulwama still gives her teenage son money every day to buy cannabis, fearing he might otherwise become a militant.

The three drug abusers (names changed) reveal the tip of an iceberg. Two decades of conflict have ravaged the Kashmir valley, taking a huge toll on the mental health of its people. Indeed, the increasing consumption of medicinal opiates in Kashmir is emerging as a worrying trend. As more and more land comes under the cultivation of poppy and cannabis every year, a burgeoning number of people are falling to drug abuse in myriad ways.

Across Kashmir, tens of thousands of young men and women who have failed to cope with the cumulative effects of trauma in their daily lives are escaping to drug abuse and alcoholism. The student community that has come about amid the continuing socio-political disturbance and violence in Kashmir is the worst hit. De-addiction counsellors estimate that 40 percent of school and college students in the Valley have taken to drug abuse as a way to cope with distress.

“There could be at least 60,000 substance abusers (drug addicts) in Srinagar alone,” says Saiba Verma, a doctoral student from Cornell University in the US researching the emerging scenario in Kashmir. The population of Srinagar is about 14 lakh. Drug abuse is evenly spreading across the rural and urban areas in the Valley.
‘WE ARE ABOUT TO LOSE A GENERATION TO DRUG ABUSE,’ SAYS DR MUZAFFAR KHAN. ‘THE YOUTH ARE VULNERABLE’

Predictably, the government, as well as society, brush the catastrophe under the carpet. No comprehensive survey has been undertaken to deal with it. Most doctors and psychiatrists say 70 to 80 percent of the addicts who report for help use easily available prescription drugs and substances like alcoholbased cough syrup, painkillers, eraser fluid, nail polish and even shoe polish. The rest are alcoholics or use locallygrown cannabis mixed with tobacco.

“We are about to lose an entire generation to drug abuse,” says Dr Muzaffar Khan, a psychiatrist who operates a de-addiction centre run by the state police inside the premises of its control room in Srinagar. “The socio-political disturbance is the main reason that has made the youth most vulnerable.” Most addicts are in the 18 to 35 age group.

Driving an auto-rickshaw, Akhtar would often find himself caught in traumatic situations ranging from harsh cordon and search operations by Indian security forces to grenade attacks by militants. By 1998, he was suffering from continual headaches and was increasingly taking painkillers.

“Then another driver suggested I take something stronger,” he says. “I started taking a pill strong enough.” Akhtar did not know he had become an addict till he found himself “misbehaving” with his family. And he would not eat.

The state health department has virtually no de-addiction and rehabilitation services. In distress, Akhtar started looking for help and found Raahat, a 12-bed de-addiction centre run by an NGO, All J&K Youth Welfare. “On the very first day they chained me up as if I was a prisoner,” Akhtar says. Akhtar somehow fled Raahat, but volunteers from the centre came with the police and dragged him back. He left Raahat 40 days later, after spending Rs 30,000. Akhtar took to drugs again.

Ironically, the NGO is not even aware of the basic rules running a rehabilitation centre. “We have to be very strict with the addicts,” its general secretary, S Shabir, told TEHELKA. “Patients in psychiatric condition sometimes need to be tied to chains with the consent of a relative. Sometimes we do ask for the police to come with us to handle an unwilling patient.” Raahat has only a part-time technical staff of five: two doctors and nurses each, and one counsellor.

AKHTAR IS now recovering in the police de-addiction centre, which the police opened in 2008 from their welfare fund. So far it has counselled more the 3,500 addicts and treated 185 from across Kashmir. But there are thousands like Akhtar who do not have anywhere to go for help.

People with drug dependency problems dread going to the only and extremely overburdened psychiatric hospital in Srinagar. “They lodge us with mentally deranged and mad people there,” says a patient at the police deaddiction centre. The only other de-addiction centre is a two-bed facility inte - grated in the district hospital at Baramulla in north Kashmir.

Dr Marghoob, a leading psychiatrist, says counselling and rehabilitation clinics are needed in every nook and corner of Kashmir. According to him, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is the main reason driving people to drugs.
ONE REHAB CENTRE CHAINED A PATIENT, THREATENED HIM, AND HAD THE POLICE DRAG HIM BACK AFTER HE ESCAPED

“I have seen many patients who have not been able to sleep because of trauma and they resort to easily available drugs in the market and then become dependent on them,” says Marghoob. This is a dominant pattern with people across socio-economic classes who have seen violent deaths from close or lost family members to the armed conflict.

Medicinal opiates like codeine, Corex and Rexcof and prescription drugs like Alprax and Spasmo Proxyvon are available across the counter in medical shops that have mushroomed over 15 years. Despite being banned elsewhere in the country, variants of these drugs are sold in “huge quantities” in Kashmir.
Weed killers Measures to curb the illegal narcotics trade in Kashmir have proven largely ineffective in the past

“The young prefer these drugs because they don’t smell like charas or opium do,” says Yasir Zehgir, a volunteer with the police de-addiction centre who took up this work after his friend became an addict.

But prescription drugs are not the only worry. Poppy and cannabis cultivation has been steadily growing since the mid-1990s, after the law enforcement agencies completely withdrew because of the militancy. But the trend continued even after the militancy waned in 2004. Experts say that large-scale unemployment and poverty contributed to the growth in the cultivation of these lucrative crops in the south Kashmir belt from Pulwama to Anantnag.

Between 1995 and 2000, the area witnessed alternating floods and drought making normal agriculture almost impossible in vast and inaccessible areas. In the absence of government help, farmers switched to cannabis, further spreading its abuse. “People took to charas after their crops failed every year after 1995,” said Fayaz Ahmed, a lawyer who helps addicts in police cases against them.

The police have now launched a poppy destruction drive which has been successful in Pulwama, where this year land under its cultivation has been brought down to less than 25 acres compared to 750 in 2009. But in the adjacent districts of Shopian and Anantnag, cannabis cultivation remains unabated.

Jammu & Kashmir police Chief Farooq Ahmed admits that more and more land is still coming under poppy and cannabis cultivation every year. “One day we keep peace in a particular area, another day we are busy attending to law and order situations and most of the time the police force is dealing with counterinsurgency,” he says.

However, the key reason for government’s failure to check proliferating drug abuse is that the revenue authorities and the narcotics control department are largely comatose in preforming their role to curb drug cultivation. Section 133A in the Revenue Act empowers the authorities to seize any land under illegal cultivation. A one-time fine of Rs 5,000 can be imposed on the owner along with Rs 500 every day till the land is restored to its original crop. “This provision has never been invoked in Kashmir, even before the present scenario emerged,” says Farooq.

While poppy is sold to markets outside, mainly through truck drivers who come from outside the state, in raw forms like the powdered fukki, a substantial portion of charas extracted from the cannabis crop is consumed locally. Police say most of it goes to Punjab and Delhi while a tiny proportion of the refined drugs are sold in Mumbai at very high prices. “Fortunately, growers in Kashmir do not extract opium from their poppy crop, otherwise it will be uncontrollable,” says a senior police official who wishes to remain anonymous.

In the summer of 2006, businessman Bashir was inside a mosque near his house when men of a pro-government counter-insurgent militia led by the dreaded militant Papa Kashtawari barged in and dragged his neighbour and friend out. Bashir witnessed his friend being shot dead in the mosque compound. He rushed to get a vehicle to take his friend to hospital.

The militants he knew dragged another person from his house nearby and shot him dead too. Witnessing the violent incident, Bashir trembled and collapsed. “I took to alcohol and could not live without it until four months back,” he says. He sought help after Kashtawari’s arrest in 2008 and finally enrolled in the police de-addiction centre in Srinagar. It took Bashir over a year to end his alcohol addiction. Bashir says he knows at least 30 other men in his neighbourhood in a similar condition.

A 2006 STUDY by a team of experts from Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) operating in Kashmir undertook a sample study about the mental health conditions in the region. It concluded that the suicide rate in Kashmir had risen a whopping 400 times in 15 years due to the armed conflict. That rate is now nearly twice India’s average of 20 per 100,000 population.

“[The] mental and physical health needs are high, while the coping mechanisms of individuals are predominantly dysfunctional,” the report said. “Even with a definitive end to violence, it could be expected that a substantial number of people would need support to overcome their problems. This assumption is confirmed by our findings of high mental health needs despite the decrease of violence since 2004.”

In south Kashmir, youths in entire villages have taken to drug abuse. On an average day, police stations are locking up groups of drug peddlers and addicts in their attempts to curb the phenomenon. These youth are becoming a social menace and the village elders have started reporting them to the army, on the pretext of having connections to militancy, after they failed to intervene socially. “But this is driving distress levels among the youth further up and renders them more susceptible to exploitation by vested interests from all sides,” says a top police official. Like the unending cycle of militancy in the Valley, drug abuse is now becoming a vicious cycle.

Tehelka - India's Independent Weekly News Magazine

Army presence causing HR abuse: Malik

AI team calls on separatists
Focus on Indian occupation: Mirwaiz

Ishfaq Ahmad Shah
Srinagar, May 18: JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik, Hurriyat (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and leaders of JKLF (R) met the two-member delegation of Amnesty International on Tuesday and apprised them about the human rights violations being allegedly committed by troopers in the State.

A two member Amnesty delegation comprising Ramesh Gopala Krishnan and Bikramjit Batra are on visit to Kashmir for the first time since militancy broke out here.

The two-member AI delegation visited Maisuma residence of JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik, who briefed them about the HR violations issue and present political situation in Kashmir.

“Thousands of people have disappeared in Kashmir. I told them to give prime importance to disappearance issue. There are hundreds of women in Kashmir, whose husbands are missing. They don’t know whether their husbands are alive or they are widows. Same is the case with thousands of children who don’t know if their father’s are alive or dead. So this issue needs to be prioritized,” JKLF chairman told media persons after the meeting.

He further said, “I also informed that that during our signature campaign we came to know the Army perpetuates grave human rights violations in the valley especially in the rural areas. The army presence is causing HR abuses in the State. It should be another aspect that this organization needs to focus on.”

Terming Amnesty International delegation’s visit to Kashmir as a ‘welcome step’, Malik said, “Through their visit, world will come to know about the suffering of Kashmiri people”.

He urged the Amnesty to press India to repeal draconian laws like AFSPA giving impunity to troopers.

Malik said that the delegation has assured action on these issues. “They have told us that their primary focus will be on the Public Safety Acts,” he added.

Earlier, the delegation visited the Nageen residence of Hurriyat (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq in the morning, where they were briefed about the historical background and the struggle of Kashmiri people for right to self determination.

“To legalize their occupation, India is committing grave human rights violations in Kashmir since 1990,” Mirwaiz informed them

“I told them that lakhs of people have sacrificed their lives for the Kashmir cause and Indian forces have committed grave human rights violations to curb the movement. Indian troopers have killed lakhs of innocent Kashmiri and widowed thousands of women and orphaned thousands of children. They have robbed thousands of Kashmiri women of their chastity. Even today the Indian troopers are committing grave human rights violations in every part of Kashmir,” Mirwaiz said after his talks with the AI delegation.

Meanwhile, a delegation of JKLF (R), Farooq Ahmad Dar and Javaid Ahmad Mir met the AI delegation at its party headquarters in Rajbagh.

In a statement issued here, a spokesman of the outfit said the leaders informed the delegation about the human rights violations taking place in the Valley. “Besides forced disappearances, India troopers are perpetuating every sort of human rights violations here in the valley,” the leaders informed the delegation.

The AI delegation also met members of Muslim league. “Our leaders appraised them about the killing, rapes, demolition of property, booking of youth under PSA and other grave human rights violations being committed by Indian troopers in the Valley,” a spokesman of Muslim League said.

http://www.risingkashmir.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23509&Itemid=1

When I was there, We used to take care of the cute little children there when there parents used to go for work, we gave them education, we used to switch on the tele vision for them.... There were many separatists at that time, but the Normal kashmiri's are more than happy of us being there....

I wonder why this issue is given lot of importance...

No I mean an attack In case of Minor skirmish, They absolutely have to take orders from the army, So they obviously have to share command and Control with the army....

Strategy are pre planned, but There might be a quote of law which permits this under serious issues....

In minor skirmishes like the one reported, they are done on their own by the Rangers, Army has nothing to do with it.

As said, Rangers are a para-military force and their primary role is protection and surveillance of the border during peace time. In case of war, Army gets deployed and goes to the border to man it. Ranger guys are with them but used in secondary role as looking after areas which may not be hot bed during war situations or even be used as defensive troops in the rear where chances of a break in the lines is most probable.

But in such skirmishes, neither they ask the Army to fire, nor they consult what to be done.

They are independent on their own, as they are led by Army officers, who know their job and what to do.

Minor border skirmishes are spontaneous and strategies have been planned to deal with them in advance, but not by the army, instead commandants of different sectors get together with the general and work it out, army has no role unless there is a joint action or in case of war.

Its good to know that they are free, BSF should also be given such powers.... Instead of sharing the command and control although a paramilitary, thanks for the Info men

Yes, of course there are clear violation human rights by IA. This is not good to kill every time hired freedom fighters on our land.. ;)

Its good to know that they are free, BSF should also be given such powers.... Instead of sharing the command and control although a paramilitary, thanks for the Info men

Nice chatting with you...........

When I was there, We used to take care of the cute little children there when there parents used to go for work, we gave them education, we used to switch on the tele vision for them.... There were many separatists at that time, but the Normal kashmiri's are more than happy of us being there....

I wonder why this issue is given lot of importance...

Major Sir, First time ever I am hearing about the status of the acceptance by normal people from a person who was in Kashmir. Thanks.

dude as said by the moderator in his post if we get a chance we will shoot you and if you get a chance you will shoot us its all in the game neither we nor you are saints

Nice chatting with you...........

Thanks, I was surprised because most of the Military's around the globe have the Same pattern as we follow, when I heard you guys, I was surprised that pakistan was making its own way.... Better to be Different...

Back
Top Bottom