What's new

Kashmir | News & Discussions.

So, is new media only reinforcing old stereotypes?

• Total voters
if there was some referendum where people were given the option of India, Pakistan, or azadi, I imagine that an overwhelming majority would say azadi. If they were given only an option between India and Pakistan, I think—I’m no one to say this, but I’m just saying my gut feeling is that Pakistan would win hands down.

FYI Arundhati Roy is a Keralite.. Nowadays Keralites are proving to great traitors to India.

Who needs Zaid Hameed when we have Arundhati Roy ?

They cant be compared dude. One is a raving mad war monger while the other is a well known author and activist known the world over. And she isn't asking for war or more violence. If at all she makes a strong case for peace.

Its good to be patriotic but you should let your emotions take a break once in a while. It will allow you to step back and look at things through a balanced perspective.

A lot of what she says makes sense. For somebody who has seen first hand the brutality in Punjab during the 80's I can understand what it feels like to live in a terrorized and control state 24 hours.

I hope the Kashmir issue gets resolved soon.

The question why do have the situation we have for past so many yr starting from 1988.

The point why and how militancy started in kashmir after 1988 ??Arundhati Roy say its because of bad rigged election of 1986.No ,kashmir had many rigged elections before that too,but there was no militancy then.

The thing is militancy started once the Soviet left Afghanistan and jihad become a proven political tool for pakistan to be used as conclift resolution in Kashmir,which its failed to snatch away after many wars.

Every body want Azadi due to different race,religion ,language ...heck ,even due to diffefernt interpretation of the same religion e,g Pakistan Taliban ,all they want is to be left alone in NWFP.

If any kashmiri want Azadi,he is azad to go anywhere to choose to go.But cant take Kashmir away india...that too because he is muslim. Non sense...even after partition we are still left with equal number of muslim as in pakistan today.We are aready a secular and free country with every citizen having equal right irrespective of race,religion,caste,lingustic affiliation.We dont give **** about azadi.Any harming this nations integrety would be punished.If we raise arms to scare us...u'll loose ur neck.That our resolution abou kashmir issue.

^^^

My take is: AR is badly pissed off with GoI.
It is a known thing that she is a maoist supporter. Now since GoI is taking against them it is very obvious from her to have these response.

Few links to read:

Maoists justified in taking up arms: Arundhati Roy

Arundhati Roy urges Centre to drop armed action against Maoist

Govt at war with Naxals to aid MNCs: Arundhati

She is a attention craving freak...someone who wants to remain in news.Thats why she she always picks up some controversial subject...she sat with the Narmada Bachou agitation for sometime ,but left it as Medha Patker didnt give any the leash.

Tell me if she had ever suggest any solution to any issue including kashmir???
No , she know only to blame GOI which is easliest thing to do.

The question why do have the situation we have for past so many yr starting from 1988.

The point why and how militancy started in kashmir after 1988 ??Arundhati Roy say its because of bad rigged election of 1986.No ,kashmir had many rigged elections before that too,but there was no militancy then.

The thing is militancy started once the Soviet left Afghanistan and jihad become a proven political tool for pakistan to be used as conclift resolution in Kashmir,which its failed to snatch away after many wars.

Every body want Azadi due to different race,religion ,language ...heck ,even due to diffefernt interpretation of the same religion e,g Pakistan Taliban ,all they want is to be left alone in NWFP.

If any kashmiri want Azadi,he is azad to go anywhere to choose to go.But cant take Kashmir away india...that too because he is muslim. Non sense...even after partition we are still left with equal number of muslim as in pakistan today.We are aready a secular and free country with every citizen having equal right irrespective of race,religion,caste,lingustic affiliation.We dont give **** about azadi.Any harming this nations integrety would be punished.If we raise arms to scare us...u'll loose ur neck.That our resolution abou kashmir issue.

Agreed, militancy in Kashmir couldnt have survived without Pakistani help. But we have to agree that there were youth ready to be trained and fight in Kashmir. There were people ready to take arms for their cause. Without them Pakistani support would have have been useless.

And things got to that situation through sustained neglect and high handedness by the govt. Yes elections were rigged earlier too and there was resentment simmering in people. This resentment boiled over when they saw another election being rigged in 1988. But I agree with you that it wasn't the only factor. A ready terror/guerrilla warfare infrastructure across the border built up through tactics, tried and tested in Afghanistan played a major role.

I too hold India's territorial and cultural integrity with the utmost respect. But past wrongs have to be addressed and hearts have to be won in Kashmir.

Agreed, militancy in Kashmir couldnt have survived without Pakistani help. But we have to agree that there were youth ready to be trained and fight in Kashmir. There were people ready to take arms for their cause. Without them Pakistani support would have have been useless.

And things got to that situation through sustained neglect and high handedness by the govt. Yes elections were rigged earlier too and there was resentment simmering in people. This resentment boiled over when they saw another election being rigged in 1988. But I agree with you that it wasn't the only factor. A ready terror/guerrilla warfare infrastructure across the border built up through tactics, tried and tested in Afghanistan played a major role.

I too hold India's territorial and cultural integrity with the utmost respect. But past wrongs have to be addressed and hearts have to be won in Kashmir.

IS it ever difficult to motivate brainwash some misguided youth to form a guerilla force be it communiust,jehadist ,casteist(like in Bihar)??

Now,If u add the the lure of eternal paradise telling them u become a gazi as soon as u pull the trigger to kill a kafir and go straight to jannat for ur Shadadat.Then enticement is just irresistable for any youth who dont have much bright future before him in any case.

IS it ever difficult to motivate brainwash some misguided youth to form a guerilla force be it communiust,jehadist ,casteist(like in Bihar)??

Now,If u add the the lure of eternal paradise telling them u become a gazi as soon as u pull the trigger to kill a kafir and go straight to jannat for ur Shadadat.Then enticement is just irresistable for any youth who dont have much bright future before him in any case.

Believe me it is not that simple. Brainwashing as we call it can only happen if there is "material" ready for it. Youth in Kashmir were never poor nor were they all uneducated.

I draw a certain amount of parallel with the Khalistan movement in Punjab, both are religion based and had outside support. I know of acquaintances who were brilliant students, toppers in their class who went underground for the cause and now live in Canada. Many of them were engineers and science students. My electrical engineering professor used to tell a story about his days in Guru Nanak Eng. college, Ludhiana the oldest engg college in Punjab. In his days in the 80's the army conducted raids on the campus almost every month and they would find AK-47s in the hostel rooms under the beds. And mind you we didnt have a lot of engg. colleges in those days. So these guys were all the top of the cream in Punjab.I have visited the college and its the only college that I know of that still has a police station inside its campus.

I dont pretend to know the inside out of the situation in Kashmir really well, but I views are on the basis of personal experiences. Visits to Kashmir and long chats over tea with Kashmiri friends both in Delhi and Canada.

I don't intend to espouse the cause of any of the people or groups that took up arms against the state. All I want to convey is that things run deeper than they seem

Last edited:
Than the argument continues and killing of innocnts goes on as you Indians are not willing to come to term about an election/plbecite done to satisfy Pakistan, we are not satisfied with your staged elections and we strongly disaree.

Your refusal is a proof that your elections are staged and are not free and fair, other wise you would have no problems holding them as specified by U.N. as per your statemkent that Kashmiris have spken through elections.

If your election are legit than howcome you have to maintaqin a force of half million soldiers in Kashmir?

Read and tell me if this is how the people of kashmir are treated and are opressed as specifies by this excert from Kashmiri site. Also is the site for u visit to be enlightened.

India conducts poll in JK under military security-cum-terror. Ulemas in Jammu Kashmir are planning to issue a fatwa (edict) against the State for imposing undeclared curfew to disallow Friday congregational prayers. Chairman of Jammu Kashmir Mutahid-e-Majlis Ulema (MMU), Mirwaiz Umar Farooq said that Ulemas here were planning to issue a fatwa against the State government to protest against the ‘religious repression’. Mirwaiz said that the issue was a long running problem in Jammu Kashmir and MMU, after holding consultations with renowned Islamic scholars at national and international level, would issue a fatwa. This is the sixth consecutive Friday when congregational prayers in Jamia Masjid Srinagar were not held due to imposition of undeclared curfews.

Kashmir Watch :: In-depth coverage on Kashmir conflict

FYI Arundhati Roy is a Keralite.. Nowadays Keralites are proving to great traitors to India.

Just because you don't agree with an individual, don't go around making stupid statements about an entire group of people. There is truth to what she says and that is what makes you and me uncomfortable.

However I also believe that the Kashmiri cause is compromised by the involvement of our neighbours, using terrorism as a means and by the use of religion. This makes it impossible for India to make concessions. No one in India is ready for another partition based on religion.

I also refuse to give in to a group of people who believe that they can terrorise the us into submission. The day they lay down their guns and stop demanding separation because of their religion, they will find more sympathetic ears ready to listen to them.

if there was some referendum where people were given the option of India, Pakistan, or azadi, I imagine that an overwhelming majority would say azadi. If they were given only an option between India and Pakistan, I think—I’m no one to say this, but I’m just saying my gut feeling is that Pakistan would win hands down.
IMO there has to be 2 set of referrendums

Referendum 1: Pakistan vs India = Winner 1

Referendum 2: Winner 1 vs Azaadi (independence)

By process of elimination we will have a solution.

I would be okay with it. It's fair and we can all move on, hopefully getting a Kashmiri visa won't be that hard for us Pakistanis and Indians even if they go for Azadi.

Back
Top Bottom