What's new

Kargil War - A research paper by US Military on High Altitude Warfare

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Pakistan finally admitted it was NLI (part of Army) and not some mujaheddin. And on other hand completely lost the chance to demilitarize Siachen!!

@third eye I noticed that our flag is placed inverted in all the pictures. Is that some sort of tradition or protocol? It's somewhat disgraceful I would say.

Sir, I could understand your concern, however till you pointed out I was also unaware that Pakistan's flag is upside down. India is known to give proper honors and follow rituals during war period. For instance, fair treatment of 71 PoW and Pak martyred soldiers dead body handover/burial with proper military honour. I believe it's just because of ignorance of Indian Army Carpenter whose rank is max lanc naik or havaldar. Any innocent mistake must be ignored, however if any feeling hurt I must apologise on behalf of the Nation.

Sir, I could understand your concern, however till you pointed out I was also unaware that Pakistan's flag is upside down. India is known to give proper honors and follow rituals during war period. For instance, fair treatment of 71 PoW and Pak martyred soldiers dead body handover/burial with proper military honour. I believe it's just because of ignorance of Indian Army Carpenter whose rank is max lanc naik or havaldar. Any innocent mistake must be ignored, however if any feeling hurt I must apologise on behalf of the Nation.

I've dealt with the Indians in Kashmir. We generally maintain a cordial enmity, if such a thing can be said to exist. Both sides maintain a fair degree of mutual respect, especially when it comes to treating the dead. As I have noted before, even at the height of the 2002 escalation, we agreed to a temporary ceasefire to collect and identify a body that had washed on our side of the river and the Indians held up their side of the bargain by not firing at our troops despite being only several tens of meters away. While on the other hand, when we found the body of an Indian Solider in the river, we contacted the Indians through diplomatic channels as all direct links between both sides had been suspended and handed over the body to the Indians in accordance with military traditions. We did not have an Indian flag at the time but the CO was convinced that denying a solider the honour of being returned draped in his standard was a crime he could not come to bear and thus we took a flag from our mess, one of our war trophies from an earlier campaign and used it to cover the soldier's coffin.
So, even though our people can get a little too hot under the collar, professional soldiers make it a point not to abandon their traditions and respect.

Kargil was an ill-conceived plan that was doomed to fail the day it was enacted. We put our men through hell and did not commit the resources to back them up. Human courage is tougher than steel but when you're being bombarded with 155mm and 500lbs of destruction, human courage will not stop the shrapnel nor mitigate the damage. These men knew they were going to die and yet they did not give up, each post was taken after a lengthy battle of attrition.
Credit to be given where it is due, the Indians were the superior fighting force in this encounter. They had seamless coordination between ground forces and the IAF which made our men's job all the more tougher.
In short, these guys should never have been put through that madness.

@third eye I noticed that our flag is placed inverted in all the pictures. Is that some sort of tradition or protocol? It's somewhat disgraceful I would say.

Sir that is an old tradition here,since other countries flags can't be displayed or hoisted in a sovereign country (India in case),these are inverted to that effect.

Sir that is an old tradition here,since other countries flags can't be displayed or hoisted in a sovereign country (India in case),these are inverted to that effect.

I think that is a tradition that we did not carry into our service since we still display enemy standard upright, though scaled down.

I think that is a tradition that we did not carry into our service since we still display enemy standard upright, though scaled down.
I don't know if it's British Tradition but coming from a military family i know that how IA treat men in uniform both alive and dead.

This is from Pak Lt Col Ishfaq Ali you might find interesting.

"As per the normal roster of duty Naib Subedar Atta’s two two weeks duty was to terminate on June 26. He was to be relieved in the evening on that day. God ensured that Himself. Oscar Wilde mentions of God’s practice of asking for the dearest thing every evening. On June 26 when the sun slipped into its westerly slot, God commanded his angels to bring Him the loveliest thing on earth. They soon returned bearing n their celestial wings war-weary bullet smeared huddled figure of Atta Muhammad, his face still gleaming and eyes beaming with fearless radiation. God was pleased with the judgment of his subordinates.

When the bodies of the Shuhada of Quaid OP were received at an Indian Outpost in the Holding Sector in the middle of July, it was a stirring spectacle. They had preserved the bodies with greatest care and respect knowing that the valiant ought to be honoured. Wrapped up in parachute cloth the bodies lay quite fresh in the beautifully prepared coffins on the top of which was written the holy Kalima. They handed over the body of each Shaheed after giving it a general salute and the solemn ceremony concluded. The bodies were heli-lifted and immediately taken to their places of burial"

I don't know if it's British Tradition but coming from a military family i know that how IA treat men in uniform both alive and dead.

"As per the normal roster of duty Naib Subedar Atta’s two two weeks duty was to terminate on June 26. He was to be relieved in the evening on that day. God ensured that Himself. Oscar Wilde mentions of God’s practice of asking for the dearest thing every evening. On June 26 when the sun slipped into its westerly slot, God commanded his angels to bring Him the loveliest thing on earth. They soon returned bearing n their celestial wings war-weary bullet smeared huddled figure of Atta Muhammad, his face still gleaming and eyes beaming with fearless radiation. God was pleased with the judgment of his subordinates.

When the bodies of the Shuhada of Quaid OP were received at an Indian Outpost in the Holding Sector in the middle of July, it was a stirring spectacle. They had preserved the bodies with greatest care and respect knowing that the valiant ought to be honoured. Wrapped up in parachute cloth the bodies lay quite fresh in the beautifully prepared coffins on the top of which was written the holy Kalima. They handed over the body of each Shaheed after giving it a general salute and the solemn ceremony concluded. The bodies were heli-lifted and immediately taken to their places of burial"

As I myself have mentioned, we generally maintain a very respectable position with regards to each other:
Kargil War - A research paper by US Military on High Altitude Warfare | Page 5

As I myself have mentioned, we generally maintain a very respectable position with regards to each other:
Kargil War - A research paper by US Military on High Altitude Warfare | Page 5

I remeber when some of these POWs were kept in Udhampur MH for some time. They were given rooms with extra facilities unlinke IA regulars in the same hospitals.

I asked my father if they are officers or what. He said " Mehman hain beta " :)

I remeber when some of these POWs were kept in Udhapur MH for some time. They were given rooms with extra facilities unlinke IA regulars in the same hospitals.

I asked my father if they are officers or what. He said " Mehman hain beta " :)

Its usually the norm, you try to make their stay as comfortable as possible, plus they are entitled to their stipend, orderlies as well as basic necessities. These are small things that have to be looked after as you want the enemy to leave with a good account of your treatment.

Determination was not there right from the start from hailing NLI as insurgents to not providing military/air support . To think sitting in military HQ that India would not do whatever it takes to to evict the NLI . It was really bad plan .

General follies. It was Musharraf Idea to finish the unfinish business of his day's during Brigadier. Mentality of 80's existed that how India captured the heights and Pakistan folded. Similar thing could be achieved.

What Was Shocking to Me Even the Mighty ISI Was Kept Into Dark o_O

Lt. Gen. (retd) Shahid Aziz, who was the Director General Analysis at ISI (Inter-Services Intelligence) at the time of Kargil War, exposes Pakistan's lies and duplicity. He accuses Pervez Musharraf as lacking strategic thinking and as a liar. His recently penned book on Kargil War reveals Pakistan's military adventurism and strategic foolishness. The war was a big loss for Pakistan and a great strategic victory for India.

The discussion also features Naseem Zehra, Shahid Lateef and Ejaz Haider with the anchorperson Mooed Pirzada. The episode is full with no edits.

All the things that India has been claiming and that the Pakistanis have denied all along, has been set to rest by this General who was at the very highest levels in ISI. His book has to be an eye-opener.

At least IAF did few CAS right under the SAM umbrella and most challenging en with thin air and lost two,where was PAF.Only Atlanteque showed some balls and conducted recon only to be shot down by Mig 21.

Have you seen any Air force sitting ducks while Enemy jets (IAF) pounding their men relentlessly ?

Oh and one more thing we made a joke out of those captured Stingers/Anzas when we displayed them in our museums.
Big deal, your mighty air force was conducting missions on your side of LOC, if Pakistani forces had intruded into your territory what stopped you from violating Pakistani territory, the fact even to conduct missions within your own territory, you needed assistance from the Israelis, and since you take pride in shooting down an unarmed airliner type aircraft, ask your former Gujarat energy minister, why does he contributes his life to the PAF. As for the joke, hope you also share your humour with the families of , Sqn Ldr Rajiv Pundir, Flt Sgt P V N R Prasad, Sqn Ldr Ajay Ahuja and others. !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom