What's new

Karachi Operation 1990: Heart wrenching story of when the city became a battlefield

dexter

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

جنرل آصف نواز فوج کے سربراہ بنے تو خبریں آنے لگیں کہ سندھ میں ڈاکوؤں، پتھاریداروں، جرائم پیشہ عناصر خصوصاً اغوا برائے تاوان کی وارداتوں کی روک تھام کے لیے '72 بڑی مچھلیوں' کے خلاف آپریشن ہونے والا ہے۔

When General Asif Nawaz became the head of the army, news started coming that an operation against '72 big fish' is going to be conducted in Sindh to prevent bandits, pirates, and criminal elements, especially kidnapping for ransom.

کراچی میں آپریشن بلیو فاکس کا آغاز 31 برس قبل یعنی 1992 میں ہوا تھا۔ اس آپریشن کی دل دہلا دینی والی داستان کی دوسری قسط سنیے ثقلین امام سے، جس کو تحریر کیا ہے جعفر رضوی نے۔

Operation Blue Fox was started in Karachi 31 years ago i.e. in 1992. Listen to the second episode of the heart-wrenching story of this operation from Saqlain Imam, written by Jafar Rizvi.

Karachi was a conflict zone since forever - if it wasn't for NS, it'd still be a conflict zone
Id give him that - this & ending TTP control in tribal areas

Karachi was a conflict zone since forever - if it wasn't for NS, it'd still be a conflict zone

Yes, credit should be given when its due. Plus I think NS also crushed sectarian organizations in Punjab.
About the Karachi operation, it was needed but MQM using 'genocide' against Urdu-Speakers is wrong. I have a large community of friends and relatives of Urdu Speakers but I have never heard of anyone bothered by the security agencies. MQM had turned into a violent mafia and had to be put down. Same should be done to all, starting from TLP and the Lal Masjid terrorists.

Of course the Army which mostly consist of Punjabi/Sindhi/Pashtoon/Baloch and Saraiki who are culturally inferior and uncivilized compared to Urdu speaking community have a hard on to crushed them because of the rise of Karachi as a metropolitan, they invented a fake BS Jinnah pur and used the same old majan of Traitors/Gaddaar which they used on Fatima Jinnah to permanently damage the trust of community, I am glad that Pakistanis have seen the true terrorism from the Pashtoon who blow themselves on regular basis, than we saw TLP/LeJ in Punjab culture, and Punjabi Taliban, BLA/BRA has the Baloch covered when it comes to Barbarism, and Jiye Sindh mahaz are now poking their heads out, while Urdu speaking community specially the young boys are finishing their educations and moving to UAE/KSA/UK/USA, they have better future over there and leave the Pakistan to the ungrateful uncivilized cultures who are too blind to see their own faults and forces others to bend for them... that is why Pakistan has no hope/future because the ethnicity that are in majority will never let educated people to hold powerful positions on merit that can/will save Pakistan from the imminent doom.

Yes, credit should be given when its due. Plus I think NS also crushed sectarian organizations in Punjab.
About the Karachi operation, it was needed but MQM using 'genocide' against Urdu-Speakers is wrong. I have a large community of friends and relatives of Urdu Speakers but I have never heard of anyone bothered by the security agencies. MQM had turned into a violent mafia and had to be put down. Same should be done to all, starting from TLP and the Lal Masjid terrorists.
NS relationship with secterion organizations for political reasons is shaky to say the least so I won't give him that credit but yes when it went beyond a certain threshold, they were taken care of

In terms of street crimes, killings , kidnappings etc as far as Lahore is concerned they were good, my in law's still keep their front doors unlocked (depends on neighborhood, it's not a gated cammunity, just a middle class cammunity), I lost my cell phone in Lahore and someone was kind enough to return it back to me

But all of this happened because they were brutal AH with extra judicial killings, in Punjab you can do that without attracting much attention but in other areas it creates ethnic issues
So that's why I think federal government should stay away from security issues as much as they can and only assist provincial government, not go barge in with Army and rangers

That's why I want KP police, local tribals, FC to solve TTP problem not army, yes they should assist but operations should be led by provincial authorities

Give credit to the army chief of that time as in our country the establishment takes such decisions not the puppets they implant.

Give credit to the army chief of that time as in our country the establishment takes such decisions not the puppets they implant.
PM's are powerful if they know how to use that power
Army couldn't solve Karachi for decades, it couldn't end insurgency in fata for more than a decade

You need civillian leadership to lead a successful operation as they can build consensus, army alone can't achieve anything

Last edited:
Army couldn't solve Karachi for decades,
I still remember in the mid 80s when Karachi was burning, President General Zia ul Haq came to Karachi and when a journalist asked him about Karachi's situation, Zia literally said 'I don't have the Aladdin Lamp to take care of such problems!'. He was heavily criticized for that--barely a year ago, the MRD Movement was brutally crushed by the military, especially in rural Sindh.

PM's are powerful if they know how to use that power
Army couldn't solve Karachi for decades, it couldn't end insurgency in fata for more than a decade

You need civillian leadership to lead a successful operation as they can build consensus, army alone can't achieve anything
This is not the topic I was talking about.
I only talked about what happened at that particular time. Army took the decision to cleanse Karachi not NS.

کراچی میں آپریشن بلیو فاکس کا آغاز 31 برس قبل یعنی 1992 میں ہوا تھا۔ اس آپریشن کی دل دہلا دینی والی داستان کی آخری قسط سنیے ثقلین امام سے، جس کو تحریر کیا ہے جعفر رضوی نے۔

Operation Blue Fox was started in Karachi 31 years ago i.e. in 1992. Listen to the final episode of the heart-wrenching story of this operation from Saqlain Imam, written by Jafar Rizvi.

I am amazed at the short memories of people here.

If anyone has to be given credit, it would be Raheel Sharif and Gen Rizwan.

Back
Top Bottom