What's new

Karachi offshore Oilfield size

Falcon26

Reaction score
Country
United States
what came from the tests done on the sample collected from the drilling? It was said testing will take a week and it has been more than a week. I am looking for any new information that came out for the past week.

what came from the tests done on the sample collected from the drilling? It was said testing will take a week and it has been more than a week. I am looking for any new information that came out for the past week.
dont look for it
its not open yet.
reserves r solid
nuff said

IMG-20190519-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20190519-WA0001.jpg

بلی کے خواب میں چھیچھڑے

بھائی کچھ نہیں نکلا۔

قوم کو لولی پوپ دیکر بیوقوف بنایا جارہا ہے۔ یہ نکمے لوگ کچھ نہیں کرسکتے ہیں۔

We need to move on with this and all other this type of crap.Nothing gonna happened by waiting for hidden treasures. Nothing good will happen automatically. We have to develop and deliver everything by our efforts.

images (2).jpeg

کڑوا سچ ہے مگر جتنی جلدی مان لیا جائے اتنا ہی اچھا ہے۔

Last edited:
We just need to invest in exploration. There are so many potential areas in Pakistan. Exploration near iran border should be started along with new offshore sites.

We just need to invest in exploration. There are so many potential areas in Pakistan. Exploration near iran border should be started along with new offshore sites.

Don't know why the misconception persists that there is oil along the Iran border? I humbly request you to kindly 'google' asking for locations of the Iranian oil & gas fields. You will find that the Iranian oil & gas deposits are located along the Persian Gulf coast, long way away from Pak -Iran border.

Don't know why the misconception persists that there is oil along the Iran border? I humbly request you to kindly 'google' asking for locations of the Iranian oil & gas fields. You will find that the Iranian oil & gas deposits are located along the Persian Gulf coast, long way away from Pak -Iran border.

I guess there were some surveys done but there is nothing certain unless u try. All surveys indicate presence of large oil and gas reserves in Pakistan, we just need to invest more in exploration, be it iran border or the sea.

I guess there were some surveys done but there is nothing certain unless u try. All surveys indicate presence of large oil and gas reserves in Pakistan, we just need to invest more in exploration, be it iran border or the sea.

Honorable Sir,

Before I post my comments on your reply, for the benefit of PDF members, permit to write a few words about the geological survey of Baluchistan.

Baluchistan, as well as the Makran coast, has been surveyed over the years. First major geological survey was conducted over a 14 year period between 1956 & 1970 under an agreement dated October 1955 between GOP & Agency for International Development, US State Department which included detailed mapping of & appraisal of mineral districts and reconnaissance of unmapped areas of Baluchistan. It was published as:

GEOLOGY AND COPPER MINERALIZATION OF THE SAINDAK QUADRANGLE, CHAGAI DISTRICT, WEST PAKISTAN by WAHEEDUDDIN AHMED, SHAHID NOOR KHAN/ and ROBERT G. SCHMIDT

During the last five decades, several tectonic models have also been proposed by various researchers to explain the geologic setting viz-a-viz hydrocarbon potential of the south-western part of Pakistan and the Baluchistan Basin consisting of Chaghai Volcanic Arc, Kharan-Mashkhel -Panjgur Trough, and the Makran Flysch Basin. (Flysch basin refers to the sedimentary rock layers that progress from deep-water and from the flows by avalanches, lava flow deposits etc to the shallow-water shales and sandstones.

Most recent paper to the best of my knowledge was:

“Hydrocarbon Prospects of Baluchistan Basin Revisited - Delineation of New Horizon for the Discovery of Hydrocarbons in South-western Part of Pakistan”. Moin Raza Khan, Noushaba Hisam, Abid Hussain Baitu and Nayyer Alam Zaigham Search and Discovery of January 17, 2012.

Oil is normally found in the sedimentary basins and the Makran forms part of the coastal basin, where more than 6 km thick layer of sediment lies over (possibly) dead marine life ( source of oil & gas). There are also gas seepages in the Siahan range in central Makran. Additionally, Hamun-i-Mashkhel in Kharan district limestone of Eocene age has the kind of rocks where hydrocarbon reservoirs could be present.

It is because of this that exploratory oil wells have drilled in Baluchistan since the early 20th century. First well was drilled by Burmah Oil in the Les Bela district in 1916. Thus far about a dozen exploratory wells have been drilled in the Southern & Central Baluchistan including offshore wells.

Jalpari-1 an offshore exploratory well was drilled by Marathon, 1977. Ocean Energy (USA) drilled two more wells during 2000-01. PPL drilled an exploration well: Pasni X-2 in Mekran offshore area to test the Hydrocarbon potential of Panjgur sandstone. Unfortunately, all of these attempts failed to find commercially viable deposits of hydrocarbons.

Please understand that I am not against the oil exploration in Baluchistan because there are reasonably good prospects to find oil and/or gas there. By all means, drill next to the Iranian border if the geological data show a strong possibility of the presence of oil.

My main objection is against the mindset & presumption that commonly exists in many Pakistanis that if you drill near the Iran border you will oil. Firstly because there are no major Iranian oil or gas fields next to Pakistan border hence there is not even a remote possibility that an already established oil-bearing rock formation could extend into the Pakistani side. Secondly, because hydrocarbon deposit i.e. oil & gas reservoir is not like a lake or a river that if you drill next to an existing field it would trickle /seep to your side.

Last edited:
بلی کے خواب میں چھیچھڑے

بھائی کچھ نہیں نکلا۔

قوم کو لولی پوپ دیکر بیوقوف بنایا جارہا ہے۔ یہ نکمے لوگ کچھ نہیں کرسکتے ہیں۔

We need to move on with this and all other this type of crap.Nothing gonna happened by waiting for hidden treasures. Nothing good will happen automatically. We have to develop and deliver everything by our efforts.

View attachment 564172

کڑوا سچ ہے مگر جتنی جلدی مان لیا جائے اتنا ہی اچھا ہے۔

at least wait for 15 years.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom