What's new

‘Jute will be alternative to cotton’

BDforever

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Having sequenced the DNA of the traditional variety of jute, Bangladeshi scientists are now working to develop the golden fibre that can be an alternative to cotton.

Bangladesh Jute Research Institute (BJRI) Director General Kamal Uddin told bdnews24.com on Monday: “We’ve identified the barrier to making jute usable as the alternative to cotton. Now our task is to get over the barrier.”

Last Sunday, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina announced at a press conference that Bangladeshi scientists, led by Dr Maqsudul Alam, have sequenced the genome of the local variety of jute having already unravelled the genome for ‘Tosha’ jute.

Dr Alam, a microbiology professor at Hawaii University in the US, and his team shot to global fame after they discovered the genome sequence for ‘Tosha’ jute -- the Jute Plant Draft Genome – in June, 2010.

Their triumph continued as they sequenced the DNA make-up of a fungus, Macrophomina Phaseolina, which reduces yield of more than 500 species of crops including jute, soyabean, cotton, tobacco, maize and sunflower.

BJRI convened a press conference on Monday to divulge the discovery in its jute research.

After the press meet, Kamal Uddin told bdnews24.com that Bangladesh, which met 97 percent of its cotton need from overseas markets, was the second largest importer of cotton.

He expects Bangladesh’s import of cotton to reduce to a large extent when jute can substitute for cotton.

Claiming that BJRI succeeded to make different products using equal percentage of cotton and jute, Kamal said a new horizon would open up following the genome sequencing.
BJRI researcher Dr Alam sequenced the genome of CVL-1, a local variety of jute, which was released to the farmers in 1977.

Saris and cloths made using equal amount of cotton and jute were shown at the press conference.

Bangladesh applied for five basic patents on the jute research discoveries, he said. “The world can no more ignore Bangladesh.”

He said three lawyers were working for Bangladesh to have registered patent of the discoveries under a project, Basic and Applied Research on Jute.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is supervising the patent affairs.

Asked how much time the research results might take to reach the farmers, Alam said: “We hope we can complete the research in five years.”

Another researcher, Samiul Hasan, said crossbreeding of traditional variety and Tosha was not possible in traditional method. “Now it (crossbreeding) will be possible after the genome sequencing.”

source: http://bdnews24.com/bangladesh/2013/08/20/jute-will-be-alternative-to-cotton

Well not just jute, but bamboo as well is being researched as alternative to cotton and silk with many advantages. Well done on the research project, hope it leads to many commercial patentable products.

We have a lot of brilliant people in Bangladesh, that need to realise their potential, stop looking up to others and have faith in your own abilities.

I hope this alternative can be used as raw material in garments. By using them the cost will be minimize further.

Not only reduced costs bro, but improved products, expanded markets and lower import costs. Right now we have import a lot of raw and processed cotton, infact we are the second largest buyer, imagine a jute alternative, imagine how that will impact our export earnings.

We need more research like this....well done.

Claiming that BJRI succeeded to make different products using equal percentage of cotton and jute, Kamal said a new horizon would open up following the genome sequencing.
BJRI researcher Dr Alam sequenced the genome of CVL-1, a local variety of jute, which was released to the farmers in 1977.

Saris and cloths made using equal amount of cotton and jute were shown at the press conference.

wondering which wwould be more comfortable to wear? 50-50 cotton-polyester or 50-50 cotton-jute?

wondering which wwould be more comfortable to wear? 50-50 cotton-polyester or 50-50 cotton-jute?

Jute cotton mix is way better then anything polyester, especially in hot n humid countries as polyester like silk is not too absorbent or allow proper breathing. Jute is still a little brittle, to be truly viable alternative to cotton. This research will help find ways to alter that, create a product that is strong, durable, absorbent and breathable, which can be cost effectively produced in scale.

Jute has had a bad rap, because of its historic usage as bags and backing for carpets etc. when plastic alternatives appeared that bottom fell out of the market, and alternative usage was never truly looked into, now though the over use and negative effects of plastics are being felt around the world so you're seeing a rise in demand for natural replacements, BAM the increased demand for jute.

However the real money is to turn jute into a real alternative to cotton, remember growing cotton is very costly both economically and environmentally relative to bamboo, jute and hemp, plus it can't be grown well in Bangladesh.

Jute has had a bad rap, because of its historic usage as bags and backing for carpets etc. when plastic alternatives appeared that bottom fell out of the market, and alternative usage was never truly looked into, now though the over use and negative effects of plastics are being felt around the world so you're seeing a rise in demand for natural replacements, BAM the increased demand for jute.

However the real money is to turn jute into a real alternative to cotton, remember growing cotton is very costly both economically and environmentally relative to bamboo, jute and hemp, plus it can't be grown well in Bangladesh.

Pretty much all of the cotton has to be imported. This news about jute is great. A powerful and self-sufficient economy is in Bangladesh's best interests.

@ I have used "Lungi" made of Jute back in 1973. It is awful. In 1977, I bought one shirt made of Jute just like silk. Oh, it was also awfull !

@ In 1986/87 in Bogra I saw in a National Blanket Company they used to make Blanket made of Jute but it did not get the market.

@ In 2000, my wife bought one silk "Shari" having a jute flavour from a "Karitash" a NGO owned institution. It was some how .....

@ You just cannot expect much from all these govt paid scientist. What they are now inventing , these were there back even 30/40 years but it flopped. I donnot understand why Sh Hasina is again trying to do some thing funy with all those Awami Scientist ?????? We are now in a 21 Century we just cannot invent some thing which was invented by the slaves of Roman Empires back in BC ????

@ I have used "Lungi" made of Jute back in 1973. It is awful. In 1977, I bought one shirt made of Jute just like silk. Oh, it was also awfull !

@ In 1986/87 in Bogra I saw in a National Blanket Company they used to make Blanket made of Jute but it did not get the market.

@ In 2000, my wife bought one silk "Shari" having a jute flavour from a "Karitash" a NGO owned institution. It was some how .....

@ You just cannot expect much from all these govt paid scientist. What they are now inventing , these were there back even 30/40 years but it flopped. I donnot understand why Sh Hasina is again trying to do some thing funy with all those Awami Scientist ?????? We are now in a 21 Century we just cannot invent some thing which was invented by the slaves of Roman Empires back in BC ????

The scientist was smiling too much sitting beside Hasina. If I were the scientist, I would call for a press conference separately, not with Hasian. Now the scientist has got the tag of Awami-Hasina.

Plus, I wonder if this is something like they say "Computer Scientist Joy". But can not say negatively, before using their product jute-cotton mixture.

May be their DNA research can increase the production of good quality Jute, not alternative of cotton.

A consortium of researchers in Bangladesh has successfully decoded the jute plant draft genome sequencing. The consortium consisted of Dhaka University, Bangladesh Jute Research Institute and software company DataSoft Systems Bangladesh Ltd.[1] in collaboration with Centre for Chemical Biology, University of Science Malaysia and University of Hawaii at Manoa, USA. On June 16, 2010, Bangladeshi Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had disclosed in the parliament that Bangladeshi researchers had successfully done draft jute genome sequencing which will contribute to improving jute fibre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jute_genome

Since the entire jute genome analysis is a major
effort, an international collaboration among the scientists from India,
Bangladesh, USA and other countries is essential to help accomplish this task.
The clones and sequences should be made available for the genetic improvement
of jute to ultimately benefit the millions of jute farmers in the long run.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangla...-decodes-jute-plant-genome.html#ixzz2cb90y2UI

Jute is Jute and cotton is cotton.
Even cotton has varieties, some of the clothes can not be made by different type of cotton. So who thinks Jute can be an alternative to cotton, sure it does for the beggar who wears sacks instead of clothes by the roadside.

Back
Top Bottom