What's new

Just a Nice Pic....

Identify the aircraft please View attachment 682487

The leading F-15 C is from my state (@Hamartia Antidote) the 104th Fighter Wing of the Massachusetts National Guard from Westover Base in Barnes, MA, flying along with a U.S. Air Force F-22 Raptor from the 154th Wing, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii, during Cope Taufan 14, June 16, 2014. Cope Taufan is a biennial large force employment exercise taking place June 9 to 20 designed to improve U.S. and Malaysian combined readiness.

The rest of the aircraft are all from the Royal Malaysian Air Force, Su-30MKM, F/A-18 B (with that very interestingly unique dark grey color), MiG-29NUB and BAE Hawk 208.

Ccu0XE8vq5ZPXiQYC7mYYFEIUhZyzs8N2LTwl2ZjHB1Lu7tKBhsOIb4ueIqjTWvFdmI4p7WVrNWztTyUMfNGJbE91Kgc3smwBzGhKX1tMDUw_QB_JH5KjWm9h9FRkuTp4fFE67Yv2bZz5fUPyf-c0nrlqF2F3z0KdUMhJb5xkb7gHOrKHOEXFiLlus_Rz_x3-R_m8OhoKAkEIGnzxJP-InTcNSpzgtAUcw

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about this beauty? Anyone know the most likely reason it lost to the F-35?

ElMTI29WoAIoMJj

Last edited:
The leading F-15 C is from my state (@Hamartia Antidote) the 104th Fighter Wing of the Massachusetts National Guard from Westover Base in Barnes, MA,

I looked at the pic before reading the rest of your post and did a dbl-take. I was like "hmm F-15, FA-18, MIG29, SU30, F-22 and some odd trainer flying off the coast of Miami/Hawaii...whut???"

How about this beauty? Anyone know the most likely reason it lost to the F-35?

ElMTI29WoAIoMJj
Because the Generals thought it looked too stupid during the JSF trials. Guppy-mouth...geez.
Even the F-8 wasn't that bad.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 11.41.42 PM.jpg

I looked at the pic before reading the rest of your post and did a dbl-take. I was like "hmm F-15, FA-18, MIG29, SU30, F-22 and some odd trainer flying off the coast of Miami/Hawaii...whut???"

Haha I know, right. And interesting how one of the F-15 boys from Westover gets a crack at this. It's a good example of how they pick from a huge pool of candidates from around the country to get a crack at an experience like this.

Because the Generals thought it looked too stupid during the JSF trials. Guppy-mouth...geez.
Even the F-8 wasn't that bad.

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 11.41.42 PM.jpg

lol. Well, many, and I mean many would disagree with you about the F-8's looks. That's one of the most loved fighters of all time, but I do see your point.

BTW, the F-8K Crusader had one of the wildest technologies on it and that was the variable incidence wing where the entire forward section of both wings where they connect on the spine would lift by hydraulic mechanism to increase lift angle to the wings. I think it was the only aircraft that employed this unique system instead of variable geometry wings -- which incidentally came later with the F-14 Tomcat -- the F-8 Crusader went with this to help it with short take-offs and landings on carriers.

fetch

RF-8G_Crusader_of_VFP-63_is_launched_from_USS_Coral_Sea_%28CVA-43%29%2C_in_1973.jpg

Vought_RF-8A_Crusader_of_VFP-63_in_flight%2C_circa_in_1962_%286430102%29.jpg

F-8E_Crusader_of_VF-194_landing_on_USS_Bon_Homme_Richard_%28CVA-31%29_in_1965.jpg

And now this magnificent X-32 is on static display at an air museum somewhere in MD. What a shame that they didn't sell it to Japan or made use of it in some other way. Really amazing.

ElO4QhMXgCk5OdM

The main reason it failed to the F-35 was most likely because it didn't have a new VTOL system other than the same one that was used on the Harrier, which had its occasional problems in that the massive intakes would pull in basically the same hot air and gases that the ducts were generating and pushing out to generate lift. Once it got low enough where there wasn't much clean air for those massive intakes on the Harrier as well as the Pelican guppy on this thing, it started ingesting the hot air and that would create too much of a hot cycle that it would ignite and make a loud explosion under the aircraft. That actually happened during one of the displays and was a killer.

On the other hand, the F-35 had an entirely new lift fan system with that large panel on the back behind the cockpit that would open up and the fan would pull fresh air vertically into the engine and mix beautifully and generate perfect air for lift. So the STOVL factor for the B model was what mostly helped the F-35 and worked against the X-32. Not to mention that the flight test pilot for the X-32 couldn't get close enough to the drogue chute while performing an in-flight refueling test because of all those antennas and pitot tubes the aircraft had on its radome. They were too close to the refueling probe and so they passed on that test because of the associated dangers and that also worked against them.

Attachments

• 1603735335865.jpeg
    1603735335865.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 22
BTW, the F-8K Crusader had one of the wildest technologies on it and that was the variable incidence wing where the entire forward section of both wings where they connect on the spine would lift by hydraulic mechanism to increase lift angle to the wings.

WOW! Never heard of this.

Haha I know, right. And interesting how one of the F-15 boys from Westover gets a crack at this. It's a good example of how they pick from a huge pool of candidates from around the country to get a crack at an experience like this.

lol. Well, many, and I mean many would disagree with you about the F-8's looks. That's one of the most loved fighters of all time, but I do see your point.

BTW, the F-8K Crusader had one of the wildest technologies on it and that was the variable incidence wing where the entire forward section of both wings where they connect on the spine would lift by hydraulic mechanism to increase lift angle to the wings. I think it was the only aircraft that employed this unique system instead of variable geometry wings -- which incidentally came later with the F-14 Tomcat -- the F-8 Crusader went with this to help it with short take-offs and landings on carriers.

fetch

RF-8G_Crusader_of_VFP-63_is_launched_from_USS_Coral_Sea_%28CVA-43%29%2C_in_1973.jpg

Vought_RF-8A_Crusader_of_VFP-63_in_flight%2C_circa_in_1962_%286430102%29.jpg

F-8E_Crusader_of_VF-194_landing_on_USS_Bon_Homme_Richard_%28CVA-31%29_in_1965.jpg

And now this magnificent X-32 is on static display at an air museum somewhere in MD. What a shame that they didn't sell it to Japan or made use of it in some other way. Really amazing.

ElO4QhMXgCk5OdM

The main reason it failed to the F-35 was most likely because it didn't have a new VTOL system other than the same one that was used on the Harrier, which had its occasional problems in that the massive intakes would pull in basically the same hot air and gases that the ducts were generating and pushing out to generate lift. Once it got low enough where there wasn't much clean air for those massive intakes on the Harrier as well as the Pelican guppy on this thing, it started ingesting the hot air and that would create too much of a hot cycle that it would ignite and make a loud explosion under the aircraft. That actually happened during one of the displays and was a killer.

On the other hand, the F-35 had an entirely new lift fan system with that large panel on the back behind the cockpit that would open up and the fan would pull fresh air vertically into the engine and mix beautifully and generate perfect air for lift. So the STOVL factor for the B model was what mostly helped the F-35 and worked against the X-32. Not to mention that the flight test pilot for the X-32 couldn't get close enough to the drogue chute while performing an in-flight refueling test because of all those antennas and pitot tubes the aircraft had on its radome. They were too close to the refueling probe and so they passed on that test because of the associated dangers and that also worked against them.

Thanks for this. Your posts are always insightful, especially the accessible and easy to understand way you explain, for novices like me. Thanks for being part of this forum, and for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. It’s obvious you’re an Air Force veteran, if so, thanks for your service!

Thanks for this.

Falcon, thank you for the very kind words. I can't take any credit for being a veteran of the USAF, just to get that out there right away. I'm just a buff about this stuff and the history of military aviation. I do have an uncle and a brother in-law both of whom flew the MiG-21 for the EAF a while ago and some friends here in the US that are also retired USAF and USN pilots, but that's about it. Glad you enjoyed all the gabbing lol. Cheers.

ElOcMghWMAAEhgJ

Eku7M2MU0AA6qfo

Pretty wild how they had to offset the front landing gear to starboard on the A-10 to make room for that massive Gatling gun of hers.

ElRytsYXEAAUMje

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom