QayPKKH

PKKH.tv
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Junagadh: Let the Dust Settle Down | Part 1 | PKKH.tv

1.jpg

PKKH Exclusive | By Salman Javed‏

“Maps are made and colored according to the wills of those who conquer the territory”.

I heard this statement from an Army General long ago. Though at that time, I did not understand the context wherein one would understand that no matter how strong your case is, no matter how much capable you are of presenting your case with reason, proof and logic, the cruel world out there will judge, accept and give its verdict only for the one who is powerful and who can claim its right with the help of sword and not reason.

Junagadh (Old name Mehmud Abad) the princely state that was captured and occupied by India in 1947 is one of the best example of such a case. Many give logic and tell tales from distorted history; presenting the case of Kashmir and trying to devoid its legitimate freedom movement by comparing it with the case of Junagadh and thus confusing masses about the reality which is now buried perhaps in the pages of history.

Junagadh after the Murayan, Solanki and Chudasama Dynasties came under Muslim rule. Mehmud Begada (1458-1511) who reigned over this area of Gujrat, was the one who laid foundation of a city Mehmud abad, which is later named as Juna Gadh (meaning old fort). After Mehmud, the Mughals captured the area and reigned over it for about 2 centuries (1572-1748).

In 1748, Mohammad Bahadur Khanji I, a Yousafzai Pathan, who owed allegiance to the Sultan of Ahmedabad, expelled the governor appointed by the Mughals and re-named Mehmud Abad as Junagadh and declared independence. Mohammad Bahadur Khanji I was the one who laid foundation for the Babi Nawabs Dynasty. Babi Nawabs ruled Junagadh and conquered Saurashtra area as well and ruled the state for next two centuries. They were tributaries to Baroda and later when East India Company took over; they kept their rule under the suzerainty of the British.

List of Babi Nawabs:

• 1735 – 1758 : Mohammad Bahadur Khanji I
• 1758 – 1775 : Mohammad Mahabat Khanji I
• 1775 – 1811 : Mohammad Hamid Khanji I
• 1811 – 1840 : Mohammad Bahadur Khanji II
• 1840 – 1851 : Mohammad Hamid Khanji II
• 1851 – 1882 : Mohammad Mahabat Khanji II
• 1882 – 1892 : Mohammad Bahadur Khanji III
• 1892 – 1911 : Mohammad Rasul Khanji
• 1911 – 1948 : Mohammad Mahabat Khanji III

2.jpg

In 1807, Junagadh became a British protectorate. As stated earlier, it did not come under direct rule of the East India Company which took control of its foreign affairs in 1818, but they were ruled by Babi Nawabs under the suzerainty of British. When EIC separated Saurashtra from jundagadh and divided the territory in 217 princely states, the states were administered by old Nawabs and local administration.

3.jpg

In 1947, during the partition process, an ‘Instrument of Accession’ was introduced by the British. This Instrument was introduced to counter the well known as “Two Nation Theory” presented by Muslim leaders of the sub-continent such as Jinnah and his predecessor Iqbal. The Instrument of Accession however gave the opportunity and authority to the “Ruler of the State” to decide the fate of their people. There were 562 princely states which were given the choice on the bases of this same instrument. Only three states faced problem:

• Kashmir

• Junagadh

• Hyderabad

A quick peek into these three cases depicts the unique situation each one faced:

Here it is interesting to know that the first governor general of India, Mountbatten took the position that only states that share borders with Pakistan should accede to Pakistan. Hyderabad decided to stay an independent entity; the ruler of Junagadh Nawab Muhammad Mahabat Khanji III decided to accede to Pakistan; and in Kashmir’s case the ruler decided to accede to India.

Before partition, Pakistan and India were mainly contesting on two states. One was Kashmir and other was Junagadh. They decided to consider five major options to resolve the issue:

1)Democratic Rule

2) Communal factor

3)Geographical factor

4)Decision of ruler

5)Use of Force

Let’s have a look one by one at cases of all three states in the background of above five options:

Continue….

Salman Javed is Defence and Strategies analyst at PKKH.tv, he also looks after operational activities of PKKH. He tweets @FortressMSJ and can be reached at sj@pkkh.tv

Source

Not bad so far. Only one horrible mistake. That's good going. Keep it up. Let's see what the score is after each post.

Pakistanis should worry about FATA,SWAT, Balouchistan and other unstable regions which are slipping away from its rule with each passing day. Regarding the article Junagad is history and now it is a part of India.

Seems PKKH is funded well in Dollars.

Pakistan is more worried about past- Junagad, kashmir, bangladesh.... They should focus on Balouchistan, SWAT FATA...

only 3. How b'out kalat of balochistan, bahawalpur,nwfp :)

Let’s have a look one by one at cases of all three states in the background of above five options:

Continue…..............

Let's hold the discussion until the cases have been presented by the author.

Not 3 but 4, fourth one was The State of Kalat. ;)

That was told to you by whom?? :)

only 3. How b'out kalat of balochistan, bahawalpur,nwfp :)

Any reference to the above states "occupation" or cessation by India? Rest..if these were to be the disputed one..then whats the point of partition?? which not only was endorsed by elders of Pakistan,but also by Indians.

I don't know why Pakistan likes to create disputes and live with trouble.

There's simply no diispute.

"Horrible Mistake"??

Yes.

His remark about Instrument of Accession.

The position was that technically, the princes became sovereign, independent powers on the Crown withdrawing from south Asia after giving dominion status to its colony. This was obviously unworkable; there were 562 princely states, and they were not viable as independent powers. The Instrument of Accession was just an orderly path into their future, rather than have 562 separate points of view come up for protracted negotiations.

That was told to you by whom?? :)

Any reference to the above states "occupation" or cessation by India? Rest..if these were to be the disputed one..then whats the point of partition?? which not only was endorsed by elders of Pakistan,but also by Indians.

The decision for partition was for two states, Punjab and Bengal. The decision for creation of Pakistan was for five states of the British colony, India. The territory of the princes never came into it.

Your assumption, that everything was to have been decided on the basis of the majority community, is a fairly common mistaken impression of many Paistani members, usually the younger ones.

Kalat was conquered against the wishes of Khan of Kalat and there was an armed rebellion just after that.

No my brother..History at your side is as vague as history of Kashmir and Junagadh. Try finding out something better.

No my brother..History at your side is as vague as history of Kashmir and Junagadh. Try finding out something better.

Are you saying that this was not a fact? Or that there was no armed rebellion after the annexation?

Back
Top Bottom