What's new

Jr. Owaisi, e-books had impact on Indian ISIS recruit Areeb Majeed, files show

Bang Galore

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Jr. Owaisi, e-books had impact on Indian ISIS recruit Areeb Majeed, files show

4 Indians have been arrested for joining IS so far. Here’s what they have told officials.

Sagnik Chowdhury
Updated: November 17, 2015 8:31 am
areeb.jpg
Areeb Majeed is currently in judicial custody in Mumbai’s Arthur Road Jail, making him the only Indian in custody to have fought with the IS. (Source: Express Archive)

Areeb Majeed
Age 24
From Kalyan, Mumbai
Arrested on return from Turkey, on Nov 28, 2014

“If you go back to India, there is only one place you are going, jail,” the ‘ameer’ told Areeb Majeed. “I replied, ‘I know, but one day I will meet my family’.”

As per Majeed’s statement to interrogators, this is all he had to tell Abu Hammam Iraqi, chief of the Islamic State’s Tasnia or Ministry of Defence and Development in Raqqah, Syria, to be allowed to return home. The date was November 21, 2014, six months after he and three other youths left Kalyan, Mumbai, to fight alongside the IS, becoming among the first Indians to do so.

Majeed is currently in judicial custody in Mumbai’s Arthur Road Jail, making him the only Indian in custody to have fought with the IS. In his interrogation report, running into 76 pages, the 24-year-old talks about what drove him to the outfit, how he financed his travel to Syria, and his time as a suicide bomber for the IS.

He has been charged under IPC Section 125 for waging war against an Asiatic Power In Alliance With the Government of India.

The Indian Express was the first to report about Majeed, Shaikh and two other Kalyan youths, Saheem Tanki and Aman Tandel, joining the IS. While Majeed returned home in November last year and Tanki is believed to be dead, Shaikh and Tandel remain missing.

The influence: Owaisi and others

When the Bazarpeth police in Kalyan, Mumbai, were called upon to quell a protest by Ahl-e-Hadith followers on January 1, 2014, it was their first encounter with Majeed and Shaikh, both engineering students with an inclination towards the more puritanical sect of Islam.

The dispute was over the playing of Bollywood songs during Eid-e-Milad-Un-Nabi. “The playing (of) music is prohibited as per the… Hadith,” Majeed told his interrogators.

“In 2014, the Eid-e-Milad-Un-Nabi was on 14/01/2014… We (knew) the Barelvi sect will definitely play a mischief, and I along with many followers of Ahl-e-Hadith were gathered outside the Kotbahar Masjid. When the procession proceeded, (the) organiser played Bollywood songs… Fahad went to the extent of pulling down the mike from the vehicle… I was very impressed,” Majeed said.

By then, Majeed had already been drawn to IS propaganda sites, and expressed interest in travelling to Syria while chatting with contacts in Australia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and America.

Majeed told officials controversial AIMIM leader Akbaruddin Owaisi was one of the 10 speakers whose videos and lectures he would see. “I used to listen to every speech of his.”

The others included Saudia Arabia theologian Muhammed Al Arifi, Mohammed Hoblos from Australia, Imran Hosein, Australian preacher Musa Cerontonio, Abu Waleed, controversial preacher Anjem Chaudhary, Pakistani-born Tauseef ur Rahman, and Shaikh Abdullah Azzam.

Majeed also downloaded e-books as well as the I-Quran mobile application. These e-books, videos and lectures “had a great impact on me in developing my jihadi mindset”, Majeed said.

The departure:
On May 23, 2014, the four Kalyan youths flew to Baghdad as part of a group of 22 pilgrims intending to visit religious shrines in Iraq. They pooled in money and paid Rs 2.4 lakh in three instalments to a tour operator in Mumbai’s Byculla area, Majeed said.

Later, Afghan businessman Rehman Daulati and a Kuwaiti contact wired $US 1,000 to him through Western Union Money Transfer in Baghdad, Majeed said.

A “Facebook contact” and resident of Syria, Tahira Bhatt, reportedly helped them enter Syria. He also named Abu Fatima and Ali as contacts in Iraq, while Sayfulla Timayare alias Abu Falluja from Turkey was a “facilitator” for those wanting to join the IS.

According to Majeed, he and his friends received their ‘Tazkiya’ or recommendation to join the IS directly from Umar Shishani, the outfit’s dreaded Chechen military commander of Iraq and Syria.

The combat: Isteshaadi, Ighimasi
After he had made his way to Iraq, Majeed said, they stayed 10-12 days on the outskirts of Mosul at Jazira, where around mid-June 2014, he was given the nom de guerre Abu Ali al Hindi.

There were three rounds of training sessions, lasting more than a month.

Around August 22 last year, Majeed said, he was informed by the ‘ameer’ of the IS’s fidayeen squad that his turn had come. “There was a fight … for conquering Mosul dam, so I participated in it as an isteshaadi i.e. suicide bomber, with 2.5 tonnes of explosives in a civilian van. Mosul dam was surrounded by Kurdish army… I would blow up the explosives-laden car.”

However, the van was bombed in an airstrike.

“Next day, I came to Tel Afar city to receive training as ighimasi, which means fighting with as many weapons and ammunitions (as) one can, and when the ammunitions are over, (to) move towards the enemy and blow up with the help of (an) explosive belt. After three days, I along with other 11 ighimasi returned to Mosul dam battle. Each of us was provided with Russian AK-47, Dragunov sniper rifle, PKC machine gun, RPG, 1000 rounds of PKC, 300 rounds of AK-47, four hand grenades, Glock 19, 50 cartridges of .9mm, platinum knife,” Majeed said.

The fight began at 5 am and around 5 pm, Majeed said, he was shot for the first time. Unconscious for about two hours, he was taken for dead.

For eight days, Majeed was at a hospital in Tel Afar, over 65 km from Mosul. “On the ninth day, I went for another martyrdom operation in Zammar near Kurdistan (with a) car laden with 3 tonnes of explosives. I stayed there for almost 20 days… But the enemy never attacked,” he told interrogators.

Majeed then moved to Kirkafir, an hour’s drive from Zammar. “There I waited for 15 days with the same car full of explosives, but the Kurdish army attacked Rabea and I was asked to move to Rabea… But they retreated knowing that I was isteshadi and they started firing towards my car, in which I was injured for the second time.”

Majeed drove back to the IS camp and received primary treatment. The next day, he moved to Talal Huwa, 15 minutes from Rabea.

“My car was repaired and on the 7th day, the Kurdish army attacked us. My leader Abu Sadik, who was a local guy, ran away with 10 soldiers, leaving the other 13 of us. I moved towards the Kurdish army but (they were) continuously firing. My car was damaged. I got down and fought along with the 12 associates till our ammunitions were over. Then we waited for death,” Majeed told interrogators.

Finally, after they had received word from Sadik, the group retreated.

The return: A Skype call

Around this time, Majeed said, he contacted his sister on Skype. He was working in Raqqah in the IS’s civil engineering department at the time.

“This was the first time the family came to know I was alive. Thereafter, I kept talking with my family every other day and they used to just say, ‘Tumko jo chahiye tha, tumne kar liya, ab apne maa-baap aur bhai-behen ke liye wapas aa jao (You have done what you wanted, now come back for your parents and siblings)’,” Majeed told officials.

“I missed my sister’s wedding and this was again very hurting for me. Thereafter, I felt my parents were right… I was content that I did everything I can and now, I would like to return,” Majeed told interrogators.

Majeed said he met the ‘ameer of Tasnia’, Abu Hammam and requested official permission on grounds of medical and family problems to return home. He was granted permission three days later, he said.

Majeed told officials he made his way through Jarabulus in Syria to Gaziantep and Istanbul in Turkey, and flew to Mumbai on November 27, 2014.

At 5.30 am the next day, he landed and was taken into custody.

Jr. Owaisi, e-books had impact on Indian ISIS recruit Areeb Majeed, files show | The Indian Express

These wannabes toilet cleaner Indians of ISIS should know one thing very clear that majority indians 84% + already detest their medieval desert ideology and any attack in india will have a catastrophic and disproportionate retaliation by majority community and saner minorities alike.

It's the duty of learned scholars and Notable Muslim theologists to stop the vermin of radicalisation and ISIS among Indians and save them from bloody crackdown the world has ever seen.

insanity. how can people be attracted to terrorism like this? what s wrong with their brains?
parents are at fault here for not paying attention to child's activities.

I would join IS, return to wage war against India: Salman Mohiuddin
4 Indians have been arrested so far for having links with IS. Here’s what they have told officials.

New Delhi Published:Nov 18, 2015, 1:55

salman-mohiuddin-l1.jpg
Salman Mohiuddin
Salman Mohiuddin

Age 32
From Hyderabad
Arrested on January 16, 2015, from Hyderabad airport

“I had no livelihood here (in Hyderabad), and used to spend hours together over Internet chatting with ‘Daula Newsroom’ group members. I felt that western forces are plundering Muslim property and Muslims are facing pitiable situation all over the world and the solution is to establish Islamic State, where Sharia law can be implemented,” electronics engineer Salman Mohiuddin told his interrogators after being arrested from Hyderabad’s international airport on January 16 this year.

The Cyberabad police has alleged that Mohiuddin, 32, the father of two, was about to fly to Dubai, from where he planned to reach Syria via Turkey to join the IS, when he was held, making him the third arrest in India for association with the terror outfit. This was months after he had to return to Hyderabad from the US over visa issues.

In his interrogation report, accessed by The Indian Express, Mohiuddin claimed to have been attracted to the IS as he faced discrimination in the US and said he intended to “proceed to Syria to join the IS and later return to wage war against India”. His only “weakness” recorded by the interrogators was “smoking”.

The indoctrination: Meeting Nicky Joseph

The son of a retired chief engineer of the Andhra Pradesh Housing Board, Mohiuddin did his BTech from Anwar-ul-Uloom College of Engineering and Technology in Vikarabad. Married in 2007, a year before he graduated, he had two children, a daughter and a son, in quick succession.

In 2010, Mohiuddin left for the US to do a Masters in Science in transportation planning and management from Texas Southern University in Houston. For two years, till 2014, he worked as a desktop support engineer at oilfield service company Baker Hughes in Texas and at Merathon Petroleum in Findlay, Ohio.

“While I was in Texas (2011), I came in contact with a lady, Nicky Joseph (a British national), staying in Dubai through YouTube… I came to know that she converted to Islam from Christianity… I learnt that she married one doctor and intended to marry a Muslim. I proposed her to marry… she agreed,” Mohiuddin told interrogators. “I and Nicky Joseph alias Ayesha decided to join ISIS to fight in favour of ISIS through illegal border crossing of Turkey.”

Joseph, who has now been identified as Afsha Jabeen, an Indian-origin mother of three who was at the time based in Dubai, has denied having any plans of accompanying Mohiuddin to Syria.

Arrested in Hyderabad in September on deportation from the UAE, Jabeen, however, has admitted to interrogators that she pretended to be Nicky Joseph and told Mohiuddin that she was married to a Christian, and that her cardiologist husband harassed her. She told him she intended to divorce and marry a Muslim, but her husband was not agreeing to a divorce.

“This chatting I have done to play around with Salman,” she said in her interrogation report, whose copy is also with The Indian Express. According to her, Salman and she knew about each other’s marital status and their children, and that they were in regular touch “till 2010”.

The radicalisation: Hearing al-Baghdadi

“I am religious, and during June 2014, after Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi (the IS chief) declared Caliphate, I observed the posts released by Al Hayat — a media centre of ISIS — and was attracted towards ISIS as I was facing indiscrimination (sic) in USA. I learnt more about the Caliphate, ISIS and made research over ISIS by browsing Net,” Mohiuddin told interrogators.

In 2012, Mohiuddin had started his first pro-jihadi Facebook group, ‘Revalations and Hadith’. The second, ‘Daula Islamia’, followed in mid-August 2014.

Mohiuddin said that on Daula Islamia, he “used to post ISIS updates and other relevant information with intention to attract youth”. The page was later blocked by Facebook for its posts related to the IS.

In October 2014, Mohiuddin was forced to return to Hyderabad as his US visa was not extended.

The Syria plans: Time on hand

Back home, he found himself out of work, and engaged in hours of discussions on IS-related developments on the Net. In November 2014, he created two more pro-jihadi Facebook groups, ‘Moderators vs Liberals’ and ‘Daula Newsroom’. “I was active in posting of ISIS posts in Daula Newsroom and used to ask maximum number of people about their plan to join ISIS,” Mohiuddin told interrogators.

Jabeen as Joseph was an administrator in each of these groups, while Mohiuddin’s wife was an administrator in Revelations and Hadith. Mohiuddin said they discussed Quran and Hadeeth in this group.

Daula Newsroom also had a Dubai-based man from Kerala, an Afghan, two youths from Delhi and Bangalore, and a young woman from Mumbai as administrators. Jabeen was an administrator too, posing as Sana Ahmed of Delhi.

Moderators vs Liberals had 2,500 followers and Daula Newsroom 188 when Mohiuddin was arrested.

About his interactions with IS supporters, Mohiuddin said, “I observed negative propaganda by Western media towards ISIS that one of the IS militants married (a) 6 years old girl and (of) killing innocent people etc. In this regard, I started to chat with Abu Muhajeer of Syria/Egypt, Abu Al Barra of Iraq who is doing aid work for IS, Hasan Abdul Gani of Iraq, and Abu Muhammod of Iraq, adding them (to) my friends’ list.”

Mohiuddin said it was during chats with “Abu al Barra al Sami, an IS sympathiser based in Syria, and Abu Mohammad of Turkey, a facilitator with links to IS” that he started giving serious thought to entering Syria from Turkey to become a fighter with the IS.

He said Abu Mohammad gave him two Skype IDs — Abdulla_Jihadi and Abu Muhaajir — and said that if he visited Turkey, they would “receive” him. In turn, Mohiuddin told interrogators, he shared his Skype id, ‘Sa1mann’.

On January 16, 2015, Mohiuddin was arrested at Hyderabad international airport while on his way to Dubai, from where he allegedly planned to go to Syria.

Police were acting on a tip-off from US intelligence, that had been monitoring Mohiuddin’s online activities.

I would join IS, return to wage war against India: Salman Mohiuddin | The Indian Express

Back
Top Bottom