What's new

Joe Biden: "Name one innovative product from China"

Mao1949

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
China
(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden blasted China on Wednesday in a speech about foreign policy, arguing the country hasn't produced anything innovative.

"China-and it's true - is graduating six to eight times as many scientists and engineers as we have. But I challenge you, name me one innovative project, one innovative change, one innovative product that has come out of China," the vice president said forcefully.

His comments came in a commencement ceremony at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. The vice president stressed that the country's record on human rights has stymied its progress on other fronts, like innovation.

Biden recalled that during the 90s, there was growing concern Japan would become a major threat and economic competitor–"that Japan was the future," he said.

No longer just a factory, China is a mobile leader

Then, he said, people started saying the same thing about China. That's when he made his remark that even though China is producing more scientists, they aren't producing innovative products.

"And I want Japan to succeed as I do China," he continued. "But give me a break."

The vice president has argued in the past that China struggles with innovation.

Why China isn't an innovation powerhouse

When he visited the country in December, he urged young students at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing to challenge the status quo, saying "innovation can only occur where you can breathe free."

It's an argument he has brought to Chinese President Xi Jinping, as well.

"Everyone who made their way to America in the first instance came because their human rights were not being totally valued," Biden said he told the Chinese president. "It's stamped into the DNA of America."

China as an innovation nation

He has also talked about what he sees as a lack of Chinese innovation during trips to Iowa in 2012. At Iowa State University, he told students that China is "not innovating."

Other themes from Biden's speech Wednesday echoed President Obama's same-day address on foreign policy at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Biden teams up with top donor to raise big bucks

As the combat mission in Afghanistan comes to a close, Biden told the graduates that they're still entering a world of obstacles.

"As we end an era of war, your mission may be different, but you will face challenges no less formidable and complex. Your work will be every bit as vital and we badly need you," he said.

"The poet Thoreau said, 'A bluebird carries the whole sky on his back.' Well you are Falcons, and you carry America on your back," he continued. "You carry America on your back. And America will have your back forever."

Hehe, find that comparing with American government officials before, the current American officials became suck, very good,

Back in the 1990s, China was even less capable to innovate, why the US didn't lose its cool back then?

Now with the statements being a leader for another 100 years and China can't 'innovate' are proving that the US is finally losing its cool because the lack of self-confidence.

CPC is the master of troll on the psychological warfare, just like how Sun Tzu used to troll its enemy.

The USA is not "losing it's cool here". Vice President Biden is just demonstrating once again, what he is so famous for...

Complete List - Top 10 Joe Biden Gaffes - TIME

In Poland, Biden Puts Foot in Mouth Once More

Vice President Biden's Imprudent Words on the H1N1 Virus

smack.gif

It is true we are not innovating enough. I would take Joe's statement as a challenge to Chinese scientist & engineers to think harder outside the box. We overcome mass poverty in our country & become one of world's top economy, we will overcome lack of innovation.

It is true we are not innovating enough. I would take Joe's statement as a challenge to Chinese scientist & engineers to think harder outside the box. We overcome mass poverty in our country & become one of world's top economy, we will overcome lack of innovation.

Exactly, this should be a challenge and a motivating factor for China. Biden laughing at China might be the motivation China needs.

Mr. Vice President, please, stop childish! Chinese have money, they don't have to produce anything innovative. They simply buy it! And you should be grateful they're doing so!

Mr. Vice President, please, stop childish! Chinese have money, they don't have to produce anything innovative. They simply buy it! And you should be grateful they're doing so!

Or they hack and steal it. The level of hacking conducted by Chinese government employees on American software companies and military sites is beyond pale.

(CNN) - Vice President Joe Biden blasted China on Wednesday in a speech about foreign policy, arguing the country hasn't produced anything innovative.

"China-and it's true - is graduating six to eight times as many scientists and engineers as we have. But I challenge you, name me one innovative project, one innovative change, one innovative product that has come out of China," the vice president said forcefully.

His comments came in a commencement ceremony at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. The vice president stressed that the country's record on human rights has stymied its progress on other fronts, like innovation.

Biden recalled that during the 90s, there was growing concern Japan would become a major threat and economic competitor–"that Japan was the future," he said.

No longer just a factory, China is a mobile leader

Then, he said, people started saying the same thing about China. That's when he made his remark that even though China is producing more scientists, they aren't producing innovative products.

"And I want Japan to succeed as I do China," he continued. "But give me a break."

The vice president has argued in the past that China struggles with innovation.

Why China isn't an innovation powerhouse

When he visited the country in December, he urged young students at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing to challenge the status quo, saying "innovation can only occur where you can breathe free."

It's an argument he has brought to Chinese President Xi Jinping, as well.

"Everyone who made their way to America in the first instance came because their human rights were not being totally valued," Biden said he told the Chinese president. "It's stamped into the DNA of America."

China as an innovation nation

He has also talked about what he sees as a lack of Chinese innovation during trips to Iowa in 2012. At Iowa State University, he told students that China is "not innovating."

Other themes from Biden's speech Wednesday echoed President Obama's same-day address on foreign policy at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

Biden teams up with top donor to raise big bucks

As the combat mission in Afghanistan comes to a close, Biden told the graduates that they're still entering a world of obstacles.

"As we end an era of war, your mission may be different, but you will face challenges no less formidable and complex. Your work will be every bit as vital and we badly need you," he said.

"The poet Thoreau said, 'A bluebird carries the whole sky on his back.' Well you are Falcons, and you carry America on your back," he continued. "You carry America on your back. And America will have your back forever."
well guess what ? China invented mother of all weapons -- the gun powder.
now hang yourself :hang2:

again, talking about education ? guess what ? china invented mother of education system- the paper which helps to study, research and documentation.

now again hang yourself :hang3:

His statement, in my honest opinion, is rather correct. Too much copying and not enough R & D.

You Japanese are in the same category of the 'un-innovative Asians' in the eyes of the US.

See how many Yankees are labelling your cars as the rice boxes. Making fun of China won't help you to gain the equal status of the white men.

Last edited:
You Japanese are in the same category of 'un-innovative Asians' in the eyes of the US.

See how many Yankees are labelling your cars as the rice boxes. Making fun of China won't help you to gain the human status of the white men.

That's funny considering that it was Japan that revolutionized computer design and video game consoles as we know it.

per se, Nintendo NES, Nintendo SNES, Sega, Sony etc.

What about China? lol

Back
Top Bottom