ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
12:06 AM, March 02, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:24 AM, March 02, 2017
Matarbari coal power project back on track
Two Japanese bidders compete for job
Sharier Khan

The Japan funded massive Matarbari 1,200 megawatt coal power plant project near Maheshkhali was stalled following the Holey Artisan Bakery militant attack in July but it is now moving forward with just two Japanese bidders taking part.

Marubeni and a consortium of Toshiba-Sumitomo have submitted technical and financial bids in late January for the $4.5 billion project.
It is one of the costliest coal power plant projects in the world, industry insiders said.

These two companies were selected through a prequalification process in August 2015 but the bidding process stagnated after that.

The technical evaluation committee (Tec) of the project is evaluating whether the bidders qualify for the project. The Tec would open their financial bids afterwards and recommend the lowest competitive bidder for the construction of the plant that would use imported coal.

Sources said offers of both the bidders have some shortcomings but the project's financier Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) wants to go ahead with the bids anyway. Jica would provide $3.8 billion as soft loan.

According to the bid criterion, the bidder must have sound financial position now and in the coming years.

One of the bidders has a net income loss of 460 billion yen as of December 2016. “The Tec has sought clarifications from the bidders on such matters,” said an official.

Around $3 billion would be spent for the power plant construction and the remaining money would be used for building a deep sea terminal to facilitate import of coal, a township, a high-voltage power line, developing local infrastructure, and rehabilitation of people and purchase of land.

Keeping future expansions in mind, 1,500 acres of land has been selected. The cost of the land has been estimated at Tk 350 crore. Japanese developer Penta Ocean is developing the site and building an embankment. This development is expected to be completed soon.

The power plant was scheduled to be completed by 2023. The government expected that it would be able to begin primary production at half the capacity by the end of 2018, which is now highly unlikely given that the implementation had been delayed by nearly a year.

The delay was largely due to the Holey Artisan attack where militants killed seven Japanese nationals among other foreigners.

The deceased Japanese nationals included experts for the Dhaka Metro Rail project.

After the attack, all Japanese nationals involved in various projects returned to Japan and they did not come back until recently, upon gaining some confidence that the government was seriously dealing with militancy.

This would be the first venture of the newly formed Coal Power Generation Company of Bangladesh.

The company is expected to float separate tenders to construct a deep sea port which would have the ability to handle ships as large as 80,000 tonnes capacity, a 400kV power transmission line between Maheshkhali and Anwara, and the township with residential alongside non-residential facilities.

A buffer zone would be built in the deep sea port for storing coal. The excess coal of the plant would be shipped to other coal-based power plants.

According to project documents, a 2km long, 250-metre wide, and an 18-metre-deep channel would be prepared between the deep sea port and the jetty. The silt would be used for development of the port.

The cost of electricity from this plant would be close to Tk 7 per kilowatt hour, which is considered high.

The power plant would have two units, each with 600MW generation capacity.

About the high cost of the project compared to others, the project document said it was due to inclusion of various components. It said the power plant would be equipped with ultra-super critical technology.

The document said the cost of per megawatt electricity would be higher than that produced in other plants.

The Matarbari project cost is strikingly higher than that of the Indo-Bangla joint venture 1,320MW Rampal coal power plant that would need around $1.6 billion to build.

But Matarbari project's loan terms are way friendlier than that of the Rampal project.

The power plant alone is just too expensive given that its not rampal.

It is one of the costliest coal power plant projects in the world, industry insiders said.
The news does not report about the detail of technology input in the coal-fired plant. I have reasons to believe that the cost is high because high-level technology will be used there to mitigate the exhaust of CO2, CO and other toxic gases from the plant. Only issue here is we have to depend upon foreign source for coal, because coal fields in the north is far away and the mining is obstructed by those Shahidullah/Anu Mohammed gong.

Note that with the addition of this 1300 mW power plant the percentage of coal-fired electricity will remain about 3%. Indian percentage is a staggering 39%. BD has become an inadvertent victim of India produced pollution.

Right.. but for port and others there is $1.5 billion allocated. 1200mw plant for $3 billion too much.

Not necessarily..... We cannot rely on gas based plants anymore... We need coal and coal can be dirty if money is not spent to make it a reasonably cleaner source.

T he problem with this news report is it is not well organized when the expenditures are read. However, one point is clear, a deep seaport construction has not been shelved. BD wants an EPZ for the Japanese to be built somewhere near Maheshkhali. So, it needs a power plant as well as a sea port.

By the "Rule of Thumb", a 1200 mW coal-fired power plant should cost $1,200 million to build and commission. $3,000 million seems to be very high. I think, the reporter did not do his math while reporting. A $3 billion price tag is too high. I cannot believe $1,8 billion will be spent to provide anti-pollution equipment. It is like, "A stirrup is more expensive than the horse itself".

Last edited:
By the "Rule of Thumb", a 1200 mW coal-fired power plant should cost $1,200 million to build and commission. $3,000 seems to me very high. I think, the reporter did not do his math when he reported it. A $3 billion price tag is too high. I cannot believe $1,8 billion will be spent to provide anti-pollution equipment. It is like, "A stirrup is more expensive than the horse itself".

This is what they spend in Japan. Government probably wants to make a benchmark standard on coal plant. Besides the overall cost will come down once you calculate the cheap credit from JAICA.

This is what they spend in Japan. Government probably wants to make a benchmark standard on coal plant. Besides the overall cost will come down once you calculate the cheap credit from JAICA.

It is not that $1 million/mW is an expense for Japan only. It is an internationally accepted assumed figure when the actual cost is unknown as the Bill of Quantity for the project has not been prepared. In case of western countries including Japan and Korea the labor and land costs are much higher than a developing country like BD. However, some costs may go higher in BD because of the low construction labor productivity and land value.

Considering all these things, I believe the $3 billion tag for a 1,200 mW power plant is quite high. So, there should be some other facilities to cover the total cost.

Not necessarily..... We cannot rely on gas based plants anymore... We need coal and coal can be dirty if money is not spent to make it a reasonably cleaner source.
Actually, a coal plant is cheaper than a diesel or gas-fueled power plant.

Theorically any other Coal power plant BD should not be more expensive than rampal because of the extra cost it will consume form installation of super tall chimny, low sox nox burner, water treatment before being dumped into river, extra protection for flyash and so on so on. On the contrary Matarbari will be using sea water and less requirement for environmental prrotection due to its locaton. Mind you that their official lifetime is the same .
So why it costs way too much?

Last edited:
It is without doubt expensive - then again, I'm guessing some of that is because, it's the Japanese. I bet the Chinese would have priced the entire $4bil project at least $500mil less.

- We equate Japan with 1st class quality...you gotta pay extra for that quality.

The reason for the high price of the Matarbari project is the additional components:
- river dredging
- transmission
- land acquisition and
- a port on Sonadia Island capable of receiving and unloading large ships.

In terms of comparisons with Rampal -

But the project cost is significantly higher than the Indo-Bangla joint venture 1,320 megawatt Rampal coal fired power plant, which would need at least $1.5 billion. However, the total cost of Rampal plant, excludes the cost for project site purchase, river dredging and construction of transmission line.

http://www.thedailystar.net/maheshkhali-to-house-massive-power-plant-10801

Rampal project- Technology -Super critical
Hardware -China or indian scrap
Matabari project - Technology -Ultra super critical
Hardware -Japanese.
By the "Rule of Thumb", a 1200 mW coal-fired power plant should cost $1,200 million to build and commission. $3,000 seems to me very high. I think, the reporter did not do his math when he reported it. A $3 billion price tag is too high. I cannot believe $1,8 billion will be spent to provide anti-pollution equipment. It is like, "A stirrup is more expensive than the horse itself".

It is without doubt expensive - then again, I'm guessing some of that is because, it's the Japanese. I bet the Chinese would have priced the entire $4bil project at least $500mil less.

- We equate Japan with 1st class quality...you gotta pay extra for that quality.

The reason for the high price of the Matarbari project is the additional components:
- river dredging
- transmission
- land acquisition and
- a port on Sonadia Island capable of receiving and unloading large ships.

In terms of comparisons with Rampal -

But the project cost is significantly higher than the Indo-Bangla joint venture 1,320 megawatt Rampal coal fired power plant, which would need at least $1.5 billion. However, the total cost of Rampal plant, excludes the cost for project site purchase, river dredging and construction of transmission line.

http://www.thedailystar.net/maheshkhali-to-house-massive-power-plant-10801

A very expensive project only ray of hope is project equipments coming from Japan so we can sure about the quality. As for project financing jica will give soft loan to Bangladesh and Bangladesh will give it back to Japanese company, just govt money goes back to the Japan.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom