What's new

JF-17B Updates, News & Discussion

Credit to Defeng Cao on twitter, sorry if posted earlier.

B model seems to be coming of age.. :smitten:

D2bone5UgAEE16i.jpg

Hinges reduced but still can be flushed out with the fuselage

or concealed hinges type

https://www.google.com/search?q=con...UIARCQAw&biw=320&bih=443#imgrc=nCOKM3BRwSKmYM

Wouldn't that require a more powerful engine?

Hi,

It would not hurt to have a more powerful engine---. If the EW package is potent and missiles capable---that shortcoming is overlooked---.

USAF never had a problem with an under powered F14 and neither did the Iranain air force---.

US NAVY...
And to my recollection both the F-14 Tomcat (Navy) & the F-15 Eagle (USAF) were about the same in terms of Speed which was over Mach 2.0. and the F-14 was also much heavier.

Hi,

As far as speed is concerned---both the F35 and Rafale are under mach2 top speed

I'm never the person who cares a great deal about Speed. We're NOT looking for a fighter that'll break the SR-71's record.

Since you brought up that the F-14 (Tomcat) was under powered, I merely got in on the action.

Hi,

It would not hurt to have a more powerful engine---. If the EW package is potent and missiles capable---that shortcoming is overlooked---.

USAF never had a problem with an under powered F14 and neither did the Iranain air force---.
Hi,

The issue is what PAF has in mind for the JF-17B. If PAF only wants JF-17B as a LIFT or Conversion Unit role then they would not require any changes in its fuselage, wings or engine, however if they want it for some other role such as deep strike or air interdiction then they would require it to be 25-30 % larger with a higher payload capacity even increase its height to further enhance for strike role. All these changes would require a much more powerful engine which is currently not available to PAF. It might be available around 2025.

As far as requirement for speed in concerned PAF wants an aircraft that can fly at or above Mach 2, which is not possible with a DSI. DSI has a limitation which even the Americans could not solve and were restricted to Mach 1.2 for F-35's. IF PAF decides to remove DSI then with the same engines that are currently available a twin engined aircraft would be required which would involve funds something elusive at the time.

You mentioned that the F-14 was underpowered, however till this day the USN does not have any thing like the F-14's. The engines were powerful enough for F-14 to take off from the Aircraft carriers ad the fly at Mach 2+ which was compensated with the Maverick missiles that had 400 KM range and top speed of Mach 3 enough to take out MIG-25's.

The IRANIANS did shoot down the IRAQI MIG25's, though were not able to shoot any Russian ones. This was also done without adequate training and enough missiles.

Please do see these

@ACE OF THE AIR

Hi,

Ther F14 was superior due to its weapons and EW suite---. The phoenix had a 100 miles reach---. The radar was far advanced than anything anyone had---.

When the Phoenix hit an aircraft---the pilot did not even know how why and when did he die---.

You are winging it by trying to reason" as it took off from the carrier" it has powerful engines---. Turbo props also take off from the Carriers---.

If Paf wanted a mach2 plus aircraft---it would have built a Mach2 aircraft---.

There is a reason and purpose for the DSI---there is a reason why there is no scoop under the belly like the F16---.

Wow .. is this image ps or real? Jf is looking very bulky .. plus the nose also seems different and big ... if the pic is real then this could be what the block 3 will possibly look like ?? And i like it .. there seems to be a lot of room for more goodies in this one

Back
Top Bottom