What's new

JF-17 Thunder Multirole Fighter [Thread 6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably remain the same, it's unfeasible to make any physical changes in the craft. Probably Aerial Refueling Probe, CFTs (doubtful) and a new engine at the very best.

Aerial refueling probe is part of block 2 upgrades.

OK. Lets get down to business. When you design a plane you keep all the options in front of you and choose what qualities you want in your plane and what drawbacks that design could possibly have. You then choose the best available option and manufacture your plane.
JFT design was chosen for its simplicity ease of induction due to availability of off the shelf item and a risk averse approach. This was in keeping with the nascent aviation industry that we had and the necessity of absorbing the technology that we are given. Cost consideration was also a big factor in determining the design and the rapidity with which the platform was developed. Now that the design has matured and proven to be a success the last thing one wants to do is to change it.
Now the M3/M5 series is pretty old technology. The supply chain has long since gone and PAF has gone all over the world procuring older platforms with a view to keeping the fleet going. Changes to a platform of such vintage when most of the aircrafts are already obsolete is not the done thing as it is both cost and time prohibitive . When designs have been finalisied it will take a lot of man hours to identify and implement the changes and at the end of the day the benefit would probably be minimal. Also remember that delta design has its own limitation in that on the climb it bleeds energy much faster. PAF mad3 a decision based on its requirement to adopt this design and it will stick with it and the plane will develop more as more technological milestones are reached
Bro my Preposition was that we should have 2 Variants of Thunder. 1 variant with Cropped Delta, other with Delta Wing configuration. Reasons I have explained. Just to give you an example, F-16 also had a Cranked-Arrow Delta Wing **F-16 XL**. We can use all Configuration of Avionics, Radar, EW, and Engines same. Just change the Airframe with news design to make another Delta Wing Variant and also keep on going with Cropped delta. The Thing is that the Advantage Delta Provides, we shouldn't lose them after retiring Mirage 3s and Mirage 5s fleet. Obviously they are too old and are crashing. Hence instead of not inducting Delta Wing in Airforce or instead of Going towards J-10s. Build another Delta Wing Variant with Similar Specs and Engine as of Thunder to Avail Advantages offered by a Delta Wing.

Bro my Preposition was that we should have 2 Variants of Thunder. 1 variant with Cropped Delta, other with Delta Wing configuration. Reasons I have explained. Just to give you an example, F-16 also had a Cranked-Arrow Delta Wing **F-16 XL**. We can use all Configuration of Avionics, Radar, EW, and Engines same. Just change the Airframe with news design to make another Delta Wing Variant and also keep on going with Cropped delta. The Thing is that the Advantage Delta Provides, we shouldn't lose them after retiring Mirage 3s and Mirage 5s fleet. Obviously they are too old and are crashing. Hence instead of not inducting Delta Wing in Airforce or instead of Going towards J-10s. Build another Delta Wing Variant with Similar Specs and Engine as of Thunder to Avail Advantages offered by a Delta Wing.

Too expensive.... There's nothing a delta winged aircraft can do that a normal aircraft can't. Or at least if you talk about the Thunder.

11027471_988675387820503_8168574394550285894_n.jpg

I think the strain and testing required if you now change the wing structure would be such that it would set the project back 2-3 yrs. We need rapid replacement of our fleet and are cash strapped. Where is the money for this luxury that you propose going to come from. As I explained earlier the powers that be set the design parameters after thinking out all thew options. Interestingly one of our senior posters Sir Pshamim posted that the PAF was no longer interested in buying J10s as it felt that the capacity to upgrade JFT is far more than J10s. He did not explain why but irrespective the news was from AF sources and as such needs to be paid heed to.
Araz

J10B remains a viable option on the table which is good to know

Damn JF-17 looks like a CHUCHA even in front of medium size jet like Hornet.
Hornet look real beast here.
It's a Super Hornet, it's about 11 feet longer than JF-17 and covers almost twice the wing area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom