What's new

Jeremy Lin: His Impact On Changing The Perception Of The Asian American Mal

Pakchina

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Interesting article regarding the non-existence of East Asian male in American culture while East Asian community is on the most important in the US.

Asian male, contrary to Asian female has always been looked down by the White people as there is strong stereotype that Asian male is socially and sexually inept and not being masculine.

While inter community marriges and dating are growing among black, latinos, muslims and white, such is not the case for Asian community. While there is Asian female marrying and dating white male, Asian male rarely marry or date white female.

The above stereotype is also strongly associated with racism. White people still believe that Asians are not intelligent, not socially and sexually accomplished, they are looked down as servants and coolies. Stereotypes are very deep rooted and difficult to remove from the narrow minded white racists.

Given that I look a little like Asian, I have been victimed of such racism. A supposedly white friend never take photo with me, refuse that I sit next to her, talk to me as if she is giving orders, refuse to walk next to me, etc while she is dating and at ease with her other black, latinos, white friends.

About 10 years ago, RadioShack ran a series of commercials that featured celebrity pairings of different ethnicities. Howie Long and Teri Hatcher were the Caucasians, Ving Rhames and Vanessa Williams were the African Americans, Alex Rodriguez and Daisy Fuentes were the Latinos.

There was no Asian edition, and for good reason. While Lucy Liu, who was starring in "Ally McBeal" at the time, or skating champ Michelle Kwan would have been no-brainers to cast in the female role, who exactly was available to be the male star? RadioShack could have gone for an overseas action hero like Jackie Chan or Jet Li, but there were no viable Asian-American men in sports or pop culture that the general population would've been able to pick out of a police lineup.

This is why the Jeremy Lin phenomenon has been so spectacular. While it does transcend race -- his story is the perfect storm of underdog elements being played out in the media capital of the world -- it does not exclude race. Lin is a breakthrough because the Asian American male has always lagged behind in cultural visibility and acceptance. There has been progress in other areas, particularly entertainment, but sports has been the final frontier. "If you look at it historically, the dominant group has always favored the female of a minority, seeing them as assets, commodities or possessions," says Ruth Chung, a USC professor who specializes in Asian American cultural identity. "Males are seen as competition, and for Asian American men, their greatest threat to white males was perceived to be their intelligence, so it was always easy to stereotype them as being geeky and socially inept."

Most Asian male athletes of significance are either from Asia -- Yao Ming, Ichiro, Hideki Matsui, Manny Pacquiao -- or those not primarily identified as being Asian -- Tiger Woods, Hines Ward, Apolo Ohno, Johnny Damon.

Guys like Lin? Michael Chang and Dat Nguyen were inspiring pioneers. Chang was the youngest player to win a Grand Slam tournament when he captured the French Open as a 17-year-old and did get some commercial opportunities. Nguyen was an All-American linebacker at Texas A&M and led the Dallas Cowboys in tackles three times. But neither became a massive crossover star, nor have they been active in the past half decade -- a void that feeds into the Linsanity of the past two weeks.

But accentuating the ethnic angle with Lin is tricky. Once the games start, none of that should matter. Sports is the ultimate equalizer, and race should be irrelevant. You can either play the game or you can't. You get the job done or you don't. Your family tree can't help you blow by defenders or sack the quarterback. Lin should not have been given any sort of affirmative action to address what had been the absence of Asian Americans in the NBA. But he should not have been short-changed the opportunity just because he doesn't look the part. That dynamic has been part of Lin's narrative, and sometimes it's not even overt racism at work. It is human nature to question something that hasn't been done before.

"The greatest beauty in what Jeremy Lin is doing is that he fulfills an Asian American stereotype -- he is smart, he went to Harvard, he works hard -- and by doing so, he subverts another stereotype," Chung says. "If Asian men are going to be seen as intelligent, they have to be dismissed in other ways: Socially and sexually inept, not being masculine, and sports is often so wrapped up in a hyper-masculine identity."

About 20 years ago, I was playing basketball at a park. Four on four, me and seven African Americans. At the start of the game, I twice cut to the basket and received a pass for uncontested layups. After the second basket, one of the guys on the other team yelled at his teammates in exasperation: "Who the &$#@ is covering Bruce?!"

I wasn't offended. He wasn't talking to me, and being compared to Bruce Lee is actually a compliment, despite the martial arts stereotype, because he exuded strength, confidence and sex appeal. I couldn't really fault the guy. At that time, Bruce Lee was probably his only frame of reference for an Asian male, even though Lee himself had been dead for nearly 20 years. Frankly it would've been a lot worse if he had decided to refer to me as The Donger of "Sixteen Candles" fame/infamy, and let's face it, that has happened to me and every other Asian American male of my generation.

It was a huge step forward when an Asian guy got to play the leading man alongside a sexy co-star as Chow-Yun Fat did with Mira Sorvino in "The Replacement Killers" (1998) and Jet Li did with Aaliyah in "Romeo Must Die" (2000). In both cases, though, neither got to kiss the girl, which gets into the whole issue of negative or non-existent portrayals of Asian male sexuality.

(Supposedly there is a kiss scene between Chow and Sorvino, but it was cut and is available only as a DVD alternate ending.)

But Hollywood is making progress. It no longer needs to lean on the overseas stars like Chow or Li to fill leading roles. "Lost" featured two Asian males. "The Mentalist" has one. Harold and Kumar both get the girl at the end of "Escape Guantanamo Bay."

So perhaps the biggest sign of progress is that if RadioShack were looking to cast those commercials again today with an Asian version, Lin -- despite splattering scoresheets and shattering stereotypes -- would have competition to nail down the male spot. John Cho (Harold) has been picked twice for People magazine's "Sexiest Men Alive" list.

Then again, Lin is playing with incredible confidence, and as Jack Palance once told us: "Confidence is very sexy."

Jeremy Lin: His Impact On Changing The Perception Of The Asian American Male | ThePostGame

Sounds to me like you are what you hate, being racist by painting the actions of your supposed friend against hundreds of millions of other people.

Perhaps this person isn't your friend, doesn't want to be your friend, and you can't take the hint?

Perhaps you came on to her, she rejected, and now she feels uncomfortable being around you, which you attribute to racism because you are insecure in your skin?

Perhaps she is just an egotistical ****** and you have a poor choice in 'friends'. Either way blaming what you say her actions are on her being white is hilarious and egotistical in itself.

There is a running joke that Asians (specifically east asians) have a small pen!s in America (the knowledge of this stereotype crosses racial lines), but its hardly something you should get your panties in a twist over, as afaik most people don't take it seriously, and those that do are people you'd rather not be involved with in anycase.

Just grow thicker skin and meet different people, I don't know why you would continue to hang around with this person when she so obviously doesn't want to hang around you.

Jeremy Lin is a Taiwanese.

This is the list of Taiwanese America:
Jerry Yang - Yahoo
Steve Chen - Youtube
Michael Chang - youngest Grand Slam tournament winner
Ang Lee - Oscar winner best director
Jen-Hsun Huang - nVidia
Kwok Yuan Ho - ATi
etc

Our population is just 23 millions, smaller than Tokyo, Mumbai and Shanghai. Taiwan faces huge brain-drain problem.

Jerry Yang - Yahoo
Steve Chen - Youtube
Jen-Hsun Huang - nVidia
Kwok Yuan Ho - ATi
etc

Our population is just 23 millions, smaller than Tokyo, Mumbai and Shanghai. Taiwan faces huge brain-drain problem.
Unite with mainland and the population will sky rocket in no time ;)

Jerry Yang - Yahoo
Steve Chen - Youtube
Jen-Hsun Huang - nVidia
Kwok Yuan Ho - ATi
etc

I’ve spent little time here in the forum lately and dunno if you’re genuine from Taiwan or is only a false flagger. So assume that you’re the former.

That being said, there’s no more pathetic thing than calling yourselves Taiwanese here in the thread with the intention you have in mind.

Don’t get me wrong, calling yourself Taiwanese or any other nationality is none of my biz, actually congratulations, I couldn’t care less whether you self-identify as Taiwanese or Ironman or Greenpeace or Terminator. Thing is that perhaps except you and some handfuls of brain-dead morons of the Green and ex-British colony HK, who mostly on the left side of the Bell Curve, almost entire other ethnic Chinese worldwide communities including almost ALL of the people you cited in your list, alongwith people from other major races in the world such as Europeans and White Americans I know look at you and look up to you mostly NOT because you’re “Taiwanese” or “Ironman”or “Greenpeace” or “Terminator”, BUT because they KNOW that under that new dress you’re ethnic( i.e. genetically) Chinese first, and for most. Get it, Chief?

P.S. The proof: just look at below who is so excited about your statement? a Chinese-wannabe Jemery Clarkson-quoting Indian who according to how he writes has IQ about 85. Is that the same Clarkson who mocked the **** off the India with in-built toilet Jag, “Eat English muffins”and underpants for high caste Indian dinner party…? :rofl: Nuff said?

PPS. Stunning intellectual achivements of Taiwanese is one of the proofs to the world what modern (Han) Chinese (mneaning geneteically) are capable of under democratic rule. Therefore, I am proud of you guys!

yes, the locusts will be only too happy to swarm taiwan.
come as tourists, spend money and go back. thank you :tup:

Jeremy Lin is a relative of Harvard Physicist Steve Hsu who self-identifies as Taiwanese and American and a proud Chinese (with both grandpas came from Zhejiang province, China), who currently participates in the biggest genetics project in the world on Human Intelligence led by Shenzhen's BGI (Beijing Genome Institue), as a theoritical physics advisor.

This is what Steve wrote about you lot's brain processing power in his world famous blog:

http://infoproc.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/slumdog-brainpower.html

No wonder you are such a fruitcake here. :rofl:

OP is still bitching about that female who rejected him. :rofl:

Indian living in Taiwan has no right to comment about the unification between Mainland Chinese and Taiwanese Chinese. You are a foreigner got it? You think an Indian living in Taiwan can tell mainlanders to get out of Taiwan? You can return back to your sh!thole India if you hate mainlanders visiting / staying in Taiwan. This island is not Indian land.

His location is Southern Cal, USA. :what:

Indian living in Taiwan has no right to comment about the unification between Mainland Chinese and Taiwanese Chinese. You are a foreigner got it? You think an Indian living in Taiwan can tell mainlanders to get out of Taiwan? You can return back to your sh!thole India if you hate mainlanders visiting / staying in Taiwan. This island is not Indian land.
when did i say that i hate mainlanders coming over? they should come over even more, spend money and return back.
the majority of taiwanese prefer status-quo: fact
this means illiterate mainlanders can continue to drool about unification

when did i say that i hate mainlanders coming over? they should come over even more, spend money and return back.
the majority of taiwanese prefer status-quo: fact
this means illiterate mainlanders can continue to drool about unification

And you have the authority as an INDIAN telling mainlanders visiting Taiwan to go back. If you want to insult mainlanders dreaming about unification are illiterate then you are also insulting plenty of Taiwanese as well. You are not gonna convince us that every Taiwanese doesn't dream about unification with mainland. Even your opinion is not valid as a foreigner. Unification is something between China and Taiwan, so why is an Indian voicing his opinion on the matter?

And you have the authority as an INDIAN telling mainlanders visiting Taiwan to go back. If you want to insult mainlanders dreaming about unification are illiterate then you are also insulting plenty of Taiwanese as well. You are not gonna convince us that every Taiwanese doesn't dream about unification with mainland. Even your opinion is not valid as a foreigner. Unification is something between China and Taiwan, so why is an Indian voicing his opinion on the matter?
when did i voice an opinion about unification. i merely pointed to a fact, majority of taiwanese prefer status-quo, which means no unification. mainlanders are most welcome to come over and spend :tup:
you're getting riled up for no reason

an Indian Taiwanese?wow,that's new to me...

1410500776522017_a602x602.jpg

20121223-305a8e659e3a377c.jpg

07b4a41190ef76c60db573ad9d16fdfaae5167bf.jpg

13912651_436197.jpg

come as tourists, spend money and go back. thank you :tup:

There might be fights here and there between our Chinese family, but one thing we all hate is Indians. Infact India is hated all across Asia. Everyone of your South Asian neighbours hate India. Even Australians hate Indians.

@haidian is that senkakus?
funny

There might be fights here and there between our Chinese family, but one thing we all hate is Indians. Infact India is hated all across Asia. Everyone of your South Asian neighbours hate India. Even Australians hate Indians.
uhmm ok. :tup: apparently external approval is very important to you. low self esteem?

Last edited by a moderator:
13911175_097025.jpg

Do you know as two major claimant of Diaoyudao and SCS,why mainland China and Taiwan never has problems on those two issues? because both reached a tacit agreement that either side takes those islands will be fine,as longs those islands are in Chinese hands.

when did i voice an opinion about unification. i merely pointed to a fact, majority of taiwanese prefer status-quo, which means no unification. mainlanders are most welcome to come over and spend :tup:

You did not however both you and Terrainmarine have made inappropriate comments which is likely you both will receive infractions.

That is an incorrect statement, but then again he did the same.

come as tourists, spend money and go back. thank you

Back
Top Bottom