What's new

Jat quota stir turns into inter-caste violence: 4 non-Jats killed, shops burnt as per owner caste

Hiptullha

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Jat quota stir turns into inter-caste violence: 4 non-Jats killed, shops burnt as per owner caste
Jhajjar mortuary records caste of dead: 2 Sainis, 1 Kumhar, 1 Halwai, 3 Jats; SP says he hasn’t seen Haryana so divided; 3 Jat bystanders killed in police firing.
183 77
Written by Deeptiman Tiwary | Jhajjar | Rohtak | Updated: February 24, 2016 6:24 am
jat6.jpg
Selective burning Jat-owned Haryana Book Depot spared, shops on either side set ablaze, in Jhajjar. Ravi Kanojia
In the line of six shops at Chhavani Mohalla in Jhajjar where Jat protesters seeking quotas went on the rampage Sunday, only one, the Jat-owned shop, has been left untouched: Sri Om Hooda Electricals. The other five, belonging to Sainis and Nais, were allegedly set ablaze by the Jats. And at the main market, there is nothing left of the shops on either side of Haryana Book Depot. Mostly shoe shops, owned by Sainis and Punjabis, they were set on fire Saturday. The bookstore belongs to a Jat.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
If property targeted was by caste, so was life. At the Jhajjar civil hospital, seven post-mortem examinations have been conducted so far. Four were killed over the weekend, including one who was axed to death before his family, said the next of kin. In the mortuary register, each name has an address — and caste.

According to hospital entries examined by The Indian Express, two were identified as Sainis, one as Kumhar, the fourth Halwai and the remaining three Jats. Other critical cases have been referred to Rohtak’s PGI hospital. Sources said the administration sought a list of the dead and the caste of each.

The Jat quota protests have opened this glaring divide as it has now acquired violent, caste overtones with Jat protesters turning their ire on non-Jats, mostly OBCs in these parts, say police and officials.

Conceding that the Jat quota agitation has taken a violent caste turn, Jhajjar SP Sumit Kumar told The Indian Express: “It all started with Jats torching shops belonging to Punjabis and Sainis. In retaliation, the two communities, along with others, vandalised the Chhotu Ram dharamshala of the Jat community. Following this, the Jats attacked Chhavani Mohalla, burnt shops and killed people. We have never seen this kind of violence and divide among castes in Haryana. But normalcy is gradually being restored.”

In Chhavani Mohalla, where the OBCs are in majority, residents said the Jats came around 1 pm Sunday, identified shops, vehicles and homes of Sainis, Nais and other backward castes before looting and torching them. The men were carrying countrymade guns, axes, swords, iron rods, Molotov cocktails made from Old Monk rum bottles. The properties of Jats were spared.

Soon, the mob began to kill.

Shamlal Singh, a Saini employed with PWD as beldar, was allegedly dragged out of his house and hacked to death, said members of his family who watched helplessly from the terrace. His son Hemant, who cleared Class XII recently, said the family has no land. “I will have to quit studies as I am the only son. I have to find work to feed my family of four. Why kill us? Are we going to get them reservation?”

Krishan Saini, 45, was returning home from his two-acre farm that kept his family of six going. Before he could realise what was happening, a bullet pierced his chest. His son Harish, who rushed towards him, said he was also fired at but survived.

jat-em1.jpg
Family of Krishan Saini who was killed in the violence. Ravi Kanojia
“We kept calling the police but no one came. We waited for the Army too. We later learnt that they hadn’t been informed of the killings here. It only goes to show that all this happened with the consent of some one in the government,” Krishan’s brother Mahavir Saini alleged. “Or some looked the other way.”

Om Prakash, a Kumhar who is the mohalla potter, lost his 25-year-old son Virender Friday. A car mechanic, Virender was found dead at a blockade set up by Jats on Gawalison Road, about 5 km away. His skull had been split with an axe.

“We were about to get him married. That evening, he was perhaps going to repair someone’s vehicle. He never returned. The next day, a mob came very close to our house. They were shouting ‘Jat Ekta Zindabad’. The mob vandalised our neighbour’s property. On Sunday, they began to kill,” Om Prakash said.

Jhajjar civil hospital records show that several from Chhavani Mohalla sustained injuries from sharp weapons or pellets. “I could barely save my family. As many as 50 men broke into my house and began vandalising, looting. They then set my house on fire. I hid with my children and wife on the terrace,” said Amit Saini, an advocate.

Violence in Jhajjar picked up Saturday when Jat protesters began burning shops of OBCs and Punjabis in the main market. Securitymen who arrived on the scene opened fire, killing three Jat youths. Pradeep, Sandeep and Arjun were all in their early 20s.

Their family members, who had gathered Tuesday at the PGI mortuary in Rohtak to claim the bodies, said the young men were protesting peacefully “when some commotion happened” and securitymen opened fire.

Sandeep and Arjun belonged to Akheri Madanpur while Pradeep was from Kablana. From farmer families with small land holdings, they were counting on reservation to get them government jobs.

“Arjun was studying to be a graduate. What did he want after all? Quota. For that, they killed him. Are they not supposed to first fire below the waist,” his brother Bhagat Singh, who was part of the protest, said.

Among the dead at Jhajjar market were Dinesh Pandit, 25, and Krishna Kumar, 45. Both were bystanders. While Pandit was a Halwai from Chhara Chungi in Jhajjar, Kumar was a Jat from MP Majra village. Both had come to the market to buy medicine.

Krishna Kumar’s brother Captain Rajendra Singh, who retired from the Army, said this has only hardened their resolve for quota. “The government is playing games with us. The politicians are trying to pit one caste against another. But our demands are genuine. Today, Sainis have all the land while we are struggling for jobs,” he said.

At the PGI hospital, another Jat family stares at a dark future. Dilbagh Singh, 35, was killed by securitymen during a protest on NH1 in Sonipat Monday. “His father died a few years ago and he would till land to support his mother, wife and three children. Now there is no man left in the family,” a relative said.

Meanwhile, three bodies lie unclaimed at the Jhajjar civil hospital. A nurse said no one knows who they are: “They look very poor. Nobody has come to claim the bodies. They seem to be migrant labour hands, perhaps caught in the crossfire.”

- See more at: Jat quota stir turns into inter-caste violence: 4 non-Jats killed, shops burnt as per owner caste | The Indian Express

@Horus @Color_Less_Sky @MaarKhoor @jamahir @Talwar e Pakistan @haviZsultan @Tameem @LoveIcon @samv @manlion @django

I thought caste discrimination and violence was only limited to Eastern and Southern India. This is still a sad incident though - everyone is a human, no matter what their color, race, religion, or beliefs are.

@Hiptullha
Jatts historically most violent people in this subcontinent, In tuzk-e-Jahangiri Jahangir mentioned this he wrote that Jats are most ruthless natives the kill and loot for no reason he ordered his army to arrest and kill few dozens as a punishment. You know why so many rapes incident happen in Delhi because Delhi is very near to Haryana and as mentioned earlier they are ruthless loot fighting and rape is a sign of pride for them (Sorry for Pakistani jats)...Alcohol culture plus violent nature and pride of this is a dangerous mixture...

According to hospital entries examined by The Indian Express, two were identified as Sainis, one as Kumhar, the fourth Halwai and the remaining three Jats. Other critical cases have been referred to Rohtak’s PGI hospital. Sources said the administration sought a list of the dead and the caste of each.

i didn't know that 'halwai' ( literal meaning - a sweets maker ) is also a caste... how many castes in india?? whoever created this caste system was a gutter-mind.

In Chhavani Mohalla, where the OBCs are in majority, residents said the Jats came around 1 pm Sunday, identified shops, vehicles and homes of Sainis, Nais and other backward castes before looting and torching them. The men were carrying countrymade guns, axes, swords, iron rods, Molotov cocktails made from Old Monk rum bottles. The properties of Jats were spared.

Shamlal Singh, a Saini employed with PWD as beldar, was allegedly dragged out of his house and hacked to death, said members of his family who watched helplessly from the terrace. His son Hemant, who cleared Class XII recently, said the family has no land. “I will have to quit studies as I am the only son. I have to find work to feed my family of four. Why kill us? Are we going to get them reservation?”

Meanwhile, three bodies lie unclaimed at the Jhajjar civil hospital. A nurse said no one knows who they are: “They look very poor. Nobody has come to claim the bodies. They seem to be migrant labour hands, perhaps caught in the crossfire.”

so the protesting jats killed poor people and those of "low caste" and some of them also raped ladies who were just passing by in cars on the highway where some of these protestors were shouting whatever they were shouting.

therefore these protesting jats don't know about real freedoms and rights and their protests were selfish and superficial.

these protests were not the disciplined, intellectual and humanitarian agitations conducted by the leftists and the progressives, most recently by the progressive jnu students and their supporters all over the country and at least one in bangladesh as @bongbang reported.

“We kept calling the police but no one came. We waited for the Army too. We later learnt that they hadn’t been informed of the killings here. It only goes to show that all this happened with the consent of some one in the government,” Krishan’s brother Mahavir Saini alleged. “Or some looked the other way.”

see??

when since these jat protests started suddenly, what three days ago, i suspected that the haryana government ( bjp party ) and the central government ( bjp-led ) somehow sparked these nonsense protests to create a diversion for the indian masses and for foreign governments so that attention is taken away from the jnu agitation for purposes of doing some forcible suppression in jnu campus.

Krishan Saini, 45, was returning home from his two-acre farm that kept his family of six going. Before he could realise what was happening, a bullet pierced his chest. His son Harish, who rushed towards him, said he was also fired at but survived.

largely, the indians that support the caste system, are religious reactionaries and support the establishment are uncivilized people who shouldn't have the right to own guns.

Om Prakash, a Kumhar who is the mohalla potter, lost his 25-year-old son Virender Friday. A car mechanic, Virender was found dead at a blockade set up by Jats on Gawalison Road, about 5 km away. His skull had been split with an axe.

will general bakshi cry for him?? will the other award-returning soldier convince his colleagues to return their awards for this??

if they don't cry the supreme court should jail they for supporting the fascist movement called the bjp.

“We were about to get him married. That evening, he was perhaps going to repair someone’s vehicle. He never returned. The next day, a mob came very close to our house. They were shouting ‘Jat Ekta Zindabad’. The mob vandalised our neighbour’s property. On Sunday, they began to kill,” Om Prakash said.

abey jaahilon, tum kab bologe "insaaniyat zindabad"??

@Hiptullha
Jatts historically most violent people in this subcontinent, In tuzk-e-Jahangiri Jahangir mentioned this he wrote that Jats are most ruthless natives the kill and loot for no reason he ordered his army to arrest and kill few dozens as a punishment. You know why so many rapes incident happen in Delhi because Delhi is very near to Haryana and as mentioned earlier they are ruthless loot fighting and rape is a sign of pride for them (Sorry for Pakistani jats)...Alcohol culture plus violent nature and pride of this is a dangerous mixture...

though one shouldn't dismiss a entire ethnicity and there is arvind kejriwal from haryana to prove that there are exceptions in that otherwise 'bad-lands of india' state ( as also portrayed in the recent hindi film 'nh10' ), i was wondering about that in two threads :

plus the mentioning by @Kambojaric that delhi was once the city of ghalib and bhahadur shah zafar.

except for some progressives like arvind kejriwal, haryana has produced all kinds of useless people - wrestlers, body builders, khap panchayat members, "honor killers" etc.

Jhajjar mortuary records caste of dead: 2 Sainis, 1 Kumhar, 1 Halwai, 3 Jats; SP says he hasn’t seen Haryana so divided; 3 Jat bystanders killed in police firing.
183 77
Written by Deeptiman Tiwary | Jhajjar | Rohtak | Updated: February 24, 2016 6:24 am
jat6.jpg
Selective burning Jat-owned Haryana Book Depot spared, shops on either side set ablaze, in Jhajjar. Ravi Kanojia
In the line of six shops at Chhavani Mohalla in Jhajjar where Jat protesters seeking quotas went on the rampage Sunday, only one, the Jat-owned shop, has been left untouched: Sri Om Hooda Electricals. The other five, belonging to Sainis and Nais, were allegedly set ablaze by the Jats. And at the main market, there is nothing left of the shops on either side of Haryana Book Depot. Mostly shoe shops, owned by Sainis and Punjabis, they were set on fire Saturday. The bookstore belongs to a Jat.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE
If property targeted was by caste, so was life. At the Jhajjar civil hospital, seven post-mortem examinations have been conducted so far. Four were killed over the weekend, including one who was axed to death before his family, said the next of kin. In the mortuary register, each name has an address — and caste.

The Jat quota protests have opened this glaring divide as it has now acquired violent, caste overtones with Jat protesters turning their ire on non-Jats, mostly OBCs in these parts, say police and officials.

Conceding that the Jat quota agitation has taken a violent caste turn, Jhajjar SP Sumit Kumar told The Indian Express: “It all started with Jats torching shops belonging to Punjabis and Sainis. In retaliation, the two communities, along with others, vandalised the Chhotu Ram dharamshala of the Jat community. Following this, the Jats attacked Chhavani Mohalla, burnt shops and killed people. We have never seen this kind of violence and divide among castes in Haryana. But normalcy is gradually being restored.”

jat-em1.jpg
Family of Krishan Saini who was killed in the violence. Ravi Kanojia

Jhajjar civil hospital records show that several from Chhavani Mohalla sustained injuries from sharp weapons or pellets. “I could barely save my family. As many as 50 men broke into my house and began vandalising, looting. They then set my house on fire. I hid with my children and wife on the terrace,” said Amit Saini, an advocate.

Violence in Jhajjar picked up Saturday when Jat protesters began burning shops of OBCs and Punjabis in the main market. Securitymen who arrived on the scene opened fire, killing three Jat youths. Pradeep, Sandeep and Arjun were all in their early 20s.

Their family members, who had gathered Tuesday at the PGI mortuary in Rohtak to claim the bodies, said the young men were protesting peacefully “when some commotion happened” and securitymen opened fire.

Sandeep and Arjun belonged to Akheri Madanpur while Pradeep was from Kablana. From farmer families with small land holdings, they were counting on reservation to get them government jobs.

“Arjun was studying to be a graduate. What did he want after all? Quota. For that, they killed him. Are they not supposed to first fire below the waist,” his brother Bhagat Singh, who was part of the protest, said.

Among the dead at Jhajjar market were Dinesh Pandit, 25, and Krishna Kumar, 45. Both were bystanders. While Pandit was a Halwai from Chhara Chungi in Jhajjar, Kumar was a Jat from MP Majra village. Both had come to the market to buy medicine.

Krishna Kumar’s brother Captain Rajendra Singh, who retired from the Army, said this has only hardened their resolve for quota. “The government is playing games with us. The politicians are trying to pit one caste against another. But our demands are genuine. Today, Sainis have all the land while we are struggling for jobs,” he said.

At the PGI hospital, another Jat family stares at a dark future. Dilbagh Singh, 35, was killed by securitymen during a protest on NH1 in Sonipat Monday. “His father died a few years ago and he would till land to support his mother, wife and three children. Now there is no man left in the family,” a relative said.

- See more at: Jat quota stir turns into inter-caste violence: 4 non-Jats killed, shops burnt as per owner caste | The Indian Express

@Horus @Color_Less_Sky @MaarKhoor @jamahir @Talwar e Pakistan @haviZsultan @Tameem @LoveIcon @samv @manlion @django
Are the origins of these so called jats from Haryana same as those jats in indian parts adjacent to Pakistan and Pakistani punjabi jats, because some @Mirza Jatt say they are different, somebody please enlighten us folk on the origin of these untouchable claiming people from haryana who also claim to be jats.

@Hiptullha
Yaar hum wi jat hai, izzat dar aur sharif lauk hai, genralise na karo dost.:p:

Yaar hum wi jat hai, izzat dar aur sharif lauk hai, genralise na karo dost.:p:
U r in Pakistan and since generation living in civilized society Pakistani jats mend their ways but Indian Jats living in their separate land and even separate from other Punjabis so they develop more aggressive rowdy approach...

What's the difference between these Jatts and TTP? In my opinion TTP is more resourceful in terms of arms (because of we know who) and bravery and they did not try raping women in fields. Rest the mentality is same........... Kill innocent people for no reason, basically both are terrorists.

By the way what were we expecting when a murderer is ruling a country ................. some supa powa? Ha

It seems like you know more about Jats then Jat themselves :)

@Hiptullha

Back
Top Bottom