What's new

Japan: Tokyo to Buy Disputed Islands, Governor Says

ao333

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The governor of Tokyo said the city has decided to buy a group of disputed islands in the East China Sea to bolster Japanese claims to the territory, a move that could elevate tensions with China. Gov. Shintaro Ishihara said Monday that the city was close to reaching an agreement with the private Japanese owner of three of the four islands in the group known as Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese. The islands, surrounded by rich fishing grounds, are also claimed by China and Taiwan. “The Japanese are acquiring the islands to protect our own territory,” he said at a speech at the Heritage Foundation in Washington. “Would anyone have a problem with that?” At least one country did. “Any unilateral measure taken by Japan is illegal and invalid, and will not change the fact that those islands belong to China,” Liu Weimin, a spokesman for China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said in a statement. Japan pays about $304,000 a year in rent to the owners of three of the islands so they will not be sold to a questionable buyer. The fourth island is used by the United States for military drills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/w...ted-islands-governor-says.html?_r=1&ref=china

I would love to buy an island too. Me and all the beatifull women.. wow my dream

I would love to buy an island too. Me and all the beatifull women.. wow my dream

please invite me in your island.. :D but plz dont buy any island in sundarban... :lol: :lol:

on topic..its not clear who is going to sell those islands..but i bet China is going to have a "Third Party" in those islands..SCS is preety much a mess...

My issue is how can you buy the islands from anyone other than China.

Very simple, China doesn't actually control these islands. Let's say even those islands are not under Japanese authority now, they would be under adminstration of Yilan county, ROC. Until PRC and ROC solve their issues, I don't see how government in Beijing can assert themselves in this matter legally.

Trolling to the max for a reaction they can then cry foul. When it comes to ninjitsu skill, you can bet China's officials are unsurpassed.

Very simple, China doesn't actually control these islands. Let's say even those islands are not under Japanese authority now, they would be under adminstration of Yilan county, ROC. Until PRC and ROC solve their issues, I don't see how government in Beijing can assert themselves in this matter legally.

First of all I don't particular care which side of the Strait owns the island, but if Taiwan doesn't take actions when the Japanese infringes on the territories, then China must speaks up and prepares for actions. I wouldn't surprise China is the one that's very quiet now if Taiwan has been very vocal about the affairs all these years.

Of course China has a legitimate claim because both side considered Taiwan is merely a provence of China.

First of all I don't particular care which side of the Strait owns the island, but if Taiwan doesn't take actions when the Japanese infringes on the territories, then China must speaks up and prepares for actions. I wouldn't surprise China is the one that's very quiet now if Taiwan has been very vocal about the affairs all these years.

Of course China has a legitimate claim because both side considered Taiwan is merely a provence of China.

Agreed! This is the easiest part. Get the sh*t from the Japanese hands then we sort it out between us behind closed doors. Damnit, time is running out!

People often forget about the real villian in this matter, for someone who is supposed to be neutral on this dispute, who gives them the right to give those islands to either of the parties. It seems to that it on purpose did this to escalate the tension between the two parties just like its own colonial master did whenever it left the regions it used to occupy.

Agreed! This is the easiest part. Get the sh*t from the Japanese hands then we sort it out between us behind closed doors. Damnit, time is running out!

How about this: China takes back the island and give it to Taiwan to administer. This way she can show the people there that she care for their well beings and dignities. In case there is a referendum in Taiwan many votes probably are swayed by this move alone.

BTW There is no rush, the island is going no where.

Back
Top Bottom