What's new

Japan to temporarily suspend ODA to Vietnam over bribery case

The Uyghurs are much different from Han Chinese, so no "brotherhood" there between them. That's why they don't want to be ruled by the Han Chinese and would resort to violence to get their independence.

Those who want to get their independence bombed and chopped their own brothers too, including other ethnics like Mongolian, Hui and Kazakh, and you are saying that those terrorists can represent Uyghurs. This is a serious insult to Uyghurs people, you are such an awful guy.

Those who want to get their independence bombed and chopped their own brothers too, including other ethnics like Mongolian, Hui and Kazakh, and you are saying that those terrorists can represent Uyghurs. This is a serious insult to Uyghurs people, you are such an awful guy.
I just mentioned the fact that the Uyghurs resorted to violence to oppose the Han Chinese and regain their independence, without accusing them of anything. In fact, I have sympathy for their situation.
It's you who called them terrorists and seriously insulted them.

I just mentioned the fact that the Uyghurs resorted to violence to oppose the Han Chinese and regain their independence, without accusing them of anything. In fact, I have sympathy for their situation.
It's you who called them terrorists and seriously insulted them.

The fact is the terrorists kill everyone stand in their way, including their own people Uyghurs.

I never call them terrorists.
That's why they (Uyghurs) don't want to be ruled by the Han Chinese and would resort to violence to get their independence.
This is your own word, not mine. According to your wording you are trying to put a "=" between Uyghurs and those who resort to violence -terrorists .

The fact is the terrorists kill everyone stand in their way, including their own people Uyghurs.

I never call them terrorists.

This is your own word, not mine. According to your wording you are trying to put a "=" between Uyghurs and those who resort to violence -terrorists .
Yuor logic really awed me. Saying somebody using violence does not mean calling them terrorists, like you did and I didn't. In a neutral position, I'd rather call them freedom fighters.

Yuor logic really awed me. Saying somebody using violence does not mean calling them terrorists, like you did and I didn't. In a neutral position, I'd rather call them freedom fighters.

Those people used violence such as chopping burning and bombing people, and you are telling me that that does not mean they are terrorists. Who really has the awful logic here?

Yes those "freedom fighters" killed and bombed random, helpless innocent people, they even harmed their own people Uighur. Such "neutral", "Freedom fighters" indeed.

Those people used violence such as chopping burning and bombing people, and you are telling me that that does not mean they are terrorists. Who really has the awful logic here?

Yes those "freedom fighters" killed and bombed random, helpless innocent people, they even harmed their own people Uighur. Such "neutral", "Freedom fighters" indeed.
Though I have sympathy for them and the victims, I'm not in a position to judge their method to be right or wrong. You can call them anything, just don't put words in my mouth.

Though I have sympathy for them and the victims, I'm not in a position to judge their method to be right or wrong. You can call them anything, just don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't, you did.

This news has been debunked. Only ODA funds that connected to the specific case were suspended. All other ODA money are going through with approval as normal.

Upadate:

Police in Vietnam have arrested four railway officials in a probe into allegations a Japanese firm paid massive kickbacks to win a railway contract in Hanoi, local state media said Wednesday.

The deputy director general of Vietnam Railways, Tran Quoc Dong, was arrested for “failure to carry out responsibilities causing serious consequences,” Tuoi Tre newspaper said.

Three other senior railway officials were taken into custody for abusing their power, the report said, without specifying when they were detained.

In March, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported that the head of Japan Transportation Consultants, Tamio Kakinuma, 65, admitted to prosecutors that an ¥80 million bribe was paid to officials at Vietnam Railways for Hanoi’s overground rail link worth ¥4.2 billion.

The amount was part of ¥130 million his company had paid to civil servants in Vietnam, Indonesia and Uzbekistan to win work tied to projects funded by Japan’s official development assistance (ODA).

Vietnamese authorities vowed to investigate the issue thoroughly and punishment for anyone found guilty.

Japan remains communist Vietnam’s largest ODA donor with a pledge of $2.6 billion last year.

In December 2008, Japan suspended ODA to Vietnam for four months during a similar scandal that led to a 20-year jail term for the deputy head of Ho Chi Minh City’s transport department. The official was accused of taking up to $262,000 in 2003 from Tokyo-based Pacific Consultants International in connection with a major infrastructure project — a highway linking the east and west of Ho Chi Minh City — backed by Japanese aid money.

Vietnam is still rated one of the world’s most corrupt nations. Communist Party leader Nguyen Phu Trong on Monday called for a serious punishment over corruption as it remained “a challenge and society’s most urgent problem.”

To defuse public anger over the issue, the nation’s leadership is desperate to show it is tackling graft. The one-party state has been rocked by a number of high-profile corruption scandals in recent years, with graft and huge debts at giant state-run companies accused of fueling the country’s economic woes.

Reference: Japan Times

Retrieved from:
Vietnam arrests railway officials in ODA graft scandal tied to Japan | The Japan Times

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My response:

I do seriously hope that the Vietnamese Leadership will continue in tackling graft and corruption. If Japan is to invest $2.6 Billion into Vietnam, then Vietnam must prove to Japan that it will not reiterate similar cases seen in 2013 and in 2008. Personally, we Japanese are very serious when it comes to business contractual agreements , transparency and trust is critical for us. If you are transparent with us, and prove it , you will gain the confidence of Japanese.

My response:

I do seriously hope that the Vietnamese Leadership will continue in tackling graft and corruption. If Japan is to invest $2.6 Billion into Vietnam, then Vietnam must prove to Japan that it will not reiterate similar cases seen in 2013 and in 2008. Personally, we Japanese are very serious when it comes to business contractual agreements , transparency and trust is critical for us. If you are transparent with us, and prove it , you will gain the confidence of Japanese.
relax my friend.

we are talking about officials of Japan Transportation Consultants (JTC) having paid 100 million yen (US$100,000) to officials in Vietnam, Uzbekistan and Indonesia to secure contracts for urban transportation ODA projects.

the case is known months ago. Alleged bribe takers from Vietnam are suspended, while the investigation is ongoing. six people are arrested, including a deputy general director of the state-run Vietnam Railways.

Does Japan want to risk the good relation to Vietnam because of this peanut sum: $100,000?

Sure, corruption is serious concern in Vietnam. as the people in Vietnam are relatively poorer than you in Japan. Money is a magnet. ODA is a two ways thing: you give money to Vietnam, and get it back with interests. Money is not lost.

the government of Vietnam is committed to fight corruption.

last but not least, actually Vietnam does no longer need ODA. It is Japan that wants to continue with providing of ODA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom