What's new

Japan lawmaker wants to build military base on China-claimed islands

venu309

Reaction score
Country
India
WASHINGTON (AFP) - Japan should consider building a military base on islands disputed with China to counter Beijing's rising assertiveness, a leader of Japan's opposition said Monday on a visit to the United States.

Nobuteru Ishihara, sometimes seen as a future prime minister if his Liberal Democratic Party returns to power, said that Japan should also look more broadly at stepping up defense spending in the face of a rising China.

Asia's two largest economic powers dispute control of a set of uninhabited islands -- known as the Senkaku in Japanese and the Diaoyu in Chinese -- where Japan's arrest last year of a Chinese fishing captain led to a standoff.

Ishihara, secretary general of the conservative opposition party, said that Japan should move "quickly" to put the islands under public control. Tokyo considers most of the area to be privately owned by Japanese citizens.

"Following this change, a port should be developed where fishing boats may take refuge," Ishihara said at the Hudson Institute, a Washington think-tank.

"I further believe that we must seriously begin contemplating the establishment of a permanent post for the Self-Defense Force in this area," he said, referring to officially pacifist Japan's armed forces.

Japan said in 2008 that it reached an agreement with China for joint development of potentially lucrative gas fields near the disputed islands. But the deal has gone nowhere, with China saying its stance has not changed.

Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda's Democratic Party of Japan -- which swept out the long-ruling Liberal Democrats in a 2009 election -- has mostly sought smooth ties with China, which says its growing military spending is for peaceful purposes.

Noda asked Chinese President Hu Jintao for movement ahead on the 2008 deal during talks last month on the sidelines of an Asia-Pacific summit in Hawaii, although Japanese officials said Hu was non-committal.

But Ishihara said that China has become "assertive, one may even say aggressive," in recent years and pointed to its actions in separate maritime disputes with the Philippines, Vietnam and other Southeast Asian nations.

"Emboldened by its new economic weight and growing military might, China's proclamations of its 'peaceful rise' appear more and more at odds with the emerging reality," Ishihara said.

Ishihara, 54, is the son of Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara, an outspoken nationalist who has often caused controversy by urging Japan to develop nuclear weapons and to be less dependent on its alliance with the United States.

The younger Ishihara distanced himself from his father's positions, calling for close ties with Washington and saying that his party's current leadership has not discussed seeking nuclear weapons.

"Three-hundred-thousand or more Japanese lives vanished in an instant due to nuclear attack. This fact has been deeply seeded in the Japanese psyche and the question of whether Japan should be nuclear-armed has been dealt with," he said.

The most commonly cited estimates say that around 210,000 died instantly in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in history's only nuclear attacks, with more people dying afterward due to related health issues.

Ishihara, however, said that Japan should consider boosting its overall defense budget which has long been equivalent to one percent or less of the economy.

Japan lawmaker eyes base on China-claimed islands - Yahoo!7

I'm surprised China hasn't even gotten its revenge yet after the two Japanese invasions. Looks like the Japanese are attempting a 3rd invasion of China. I wonder how it will turn out this time.

Japan used to be very powerful till WW2, but I doubt, if they have any military might anymore....I may be wrong...

oh i hope they do.
china have been waiting for an excuse to absolutely skull f**k the japanese.

japan is no match militarily for china.

go ahead japan, we dare u.

By what you say, China seems to be trigger happy...
Also as Ishihara says China is becoming quite aggressive...

But Ishihara said that China has become "assertive, one may even say aggressive," in recent years and pointed to its actions in separate maritime disputes with the Philippines, Vietnam and other Southeast Asian nations

By what you say, China seems to be trigger happy...
Also as Ishihara says China is becoming quite aggressive...

But Ishihara said that China has become "assertive, one may even say aggressive," in recent years and pointed to its actions in separate maritime disputes with the Philippines, Vietnam and other Southeast Asian nations

Let's say, I invaded ur home, killed ur families, and happens to live in a country where there is no capital punishment

years later, I am out of prison, and invade again, this time, u r strong, and have a gun at hand....

so, r u trigger happy and the aggressive one?

Just big words.
This is the son of Shintarō Ishihara, mayor of Tokyo & crazy right-winger, so nobody should be too suprised about his son's comments, who is like his father.
But Japan will don't do this, as long the US don't give OK or order them to do so.

oh i hope they do.
china have been waiting for an excuse to absolutely skull f**k the japanese...

ROFL Not sure if it's worth it or not to invite North Korea given that they don't have much to bring to the table. I'm sure there's lots of Asians that would love to settle the score with them. Thus, China should create their own version of France's Foreign Legion. I'd laugh my a55 if China finishes the fight with two bombs on the same cities that the Americans bombed.

Just big words.
This is the son of Shintarō Ishihara, mayor of Tokyo & crazy right-winger, so nobody should be too suprised about his son's comments, who is like his father.
But Japan will don't do this, as long the US don't give OK or order them to do so.

No doubts. It's no different when you'd get American politicians screaming to neuter Iran.

ROFL Not sure if it's worth it or not to invite North Korea given that they don't have much to bring to the table. I'm sure there's lots of Asians that would love to settle the score with them. Thus, China should create their own version of France's Foreign Legion. I'd laugh my a55 if China finishes the fight with two bombs on the same cities that the Americans bombed.

No doubts. It's no different when you'd get American politicians screaming to neuter Iran.

why stop at 2 cities, they need some more gifts.

we are going to liberate the sh!t out of them including the Japanese emperor.

why stop at 2 cities, they need some more gifts.

we are going to liberate the sh!t out of them including the Japanese emperor.

The two cities that I'm referring to are Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nuking more than those two cities would make it difficult for your own citizens to live there. As for the Japanese Imperial family, just give them the 'Bolshevik treatment'.

The two cities that I'm referring to are Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nuking more than those two cities would make it difficult for your own citizens to live there. As for the Japanese Imperial family, just give them the 'Bolshevik treatment'.

yes, i understand, but why stop at those?

Japan is useless for exploitation. poor farmland, no oil, very few minerals that haven't already been extracted.

Ishihara should undergo a "surrender" tour in handcuffs, walking through destroyed Japanese towns and cities after the war.

yes, i understand, but why stop at those?

Japan is useless for exploitation. poor farmland, no oil, very few minerals that haven't already been extracted.

To goal is to annex the islands and use it to your advantage. I just think it's such a waste of an opportunity if you continue to nuke the island to the point of it being unusable.

China already patrols the Diaoyutai Islands regularly with our reconnaisance aircraft and ships. If the Japanese land on Diaoyutai, China will have no choice but to "accidentally" strike those facilites while doing navy exercises in the area.

Back
Top Bottom