What's new

Japan August trade deficit seen at near 9-year high as weak yen boosts imports

I read lots reports on the project.

Japanese cheaply built 94% of the bridge, but didnt pass vietnamess inspections with many cracks and faults were found at that time, so japanese were unhappy and withdrew from the project, and vietnam ask for chinas help. China advise vietnam how to complete the building, but vietnam didnt follow chinese advise, substituting cheap inferior material for the building, and not restricting the loads of automobiles passing on the bridge as advised by the chinese engineers becos of inferior material were used. As the result, the bridge collapsed after 3 days of operation. Then, first vietnam blamed on china, but after investigation, they think the bridge built by japan was faulty and vietnam didnt follow chinese engineers standards and advises. The japanese basically built the bridge.

I guess you didnt read the article. The names are chinese translations. The names in Chinese are highlighted below:

原来这座新武—沥县跨海大桥连接越南海防市海安、吉海两县,路线全长达到了15公里
The old generation of Japanese workforce has been dying out, along with their legacy.

Japan falls to 10th place in global influential scientific publication rankings​

TOKYO -- Japan ranked a record worst 10th place in the number of influential natural science academic papers published around the world between 2017 and 2019, the education ministry's National Institute of Science and Technology Policy (NISTEP) announced on Aug. 10.

China, meanwhile, came on top of the ranking for the first time, surpassing the United States, according to NISTEP's analysis.

Papers in the analysis were deemed to be influential if they were among the top 10% in terms of how many citations they had received in other research articles.

The institute under Japan's Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology studied academic papers published worldwide from 2017 to 2019 and calculated an annual average for each country. When a paper is coauthored by multiple researchers from different countries, the institute uses fractions to indicate contributions by each nation.

For the total number of academic papers, China ranked top for the second straight year with 353,174, followed by the U.S. with 285,717 and Germany with 68,091. Japan remained in fourth place with 65,742 research papers.

For the number of academic papers in terms of citation in the top 10% of each area of study, meanwhile, China produced 40,219 works. The U.S. came in second with 37,124, followed by the U.K. with 8,687 and Germany with 7,248. Japan-based scientists were responsible for 3,787 papers in the top 10% most cited publications, falling one place from the previous period (an average between 2016 and 2018) to 10th, just behind India.

The U.S. maintained its dominance among the top 1% most cited works, followed by China. Japan's ranking remained unchanged from the previous period at ninth place.

The more a paper is cited it can be said the higher the work's profile, and such papers are received as influential in scientific development. While Japan has taken a downward path in the ranking from the mid-2000s, China has increased its influence around the same period.

Masatsura Igami, director of NISTEP's Center for Science and Technology Foresight and Indicators, sees China's surge largely affected by an increase in the number of researchers and research funding, while saying that the less time spent on research among university lecturers in Japan has led to the country's struggling figures in academic papers.

While critics have pointed out the negative effects of the Japanese government's policy of selecting certain areas of study and concentrating public funding in them, Igami told the Mainichi Shimbun that further analysis is necessary to properly assess its effect.

Based on the number of academic papers, the NISTEP also looked into the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on research activities. While the provisional number of papers published worldwide in 2020 increased from the previous year, the rate of increase in the eight main research fields, except for clinical medicine and fundamental life science, dropped. This is possibly due to the effect of the pandemic, including researchers not being able to use their labs, but NISTEP's Igami said the impact of the pandemic "could really show up in statistics in 2021 or later as there's a time lag between research activities and when papers are published."

I read lots reports on the project.

Japanese cheaply built 94% of the bridge, but didnt pass vietnamess inspections with many cracks and faults were found at that time, so japanese were unhappy and withdrew from the project, and vietnam ask for chinas help. China advise vietnam how to complete the building, but vietnam didnt follow chinese advise, substituting cheap inferior material for the building, and not restricting the loads of automobiles passing on the bridge as advised by the chinese engineers becos of inferior material were used. As the result, the bridge collapsed after 3 days of operation. Then, first vietnam blamed on china, but after investigation, they think the bridge built by japan was faulty and vietnam didnt follow chinese engineers standards and advises. The japanese basically built the bridge.

I guess you didnt read the article. The names are chinese translations. The names in Chinese are highlighted below:

原来这座新武—沥县跨海大桥连接越南海防市海安、吉海两县,路线全长达到了15公里
Can you provide proof or picture that the bridge collapses after 3 days in operation, or that Vietnam asks for China's help?
As I check the news, there's no news that it collapsed and rectification for cracks were made before it opened in 2017:

Japanese media seems to have a different turn on this altogether:
HANOI -- A dramatic about-face by the Vietnamese government on its assessment of a Japanese-built bridge in northern Vietnam, which went from "major" flaws to no issues at all in a couple of days -- suggests to some involved in the project that the Hanoi government may be playing for time to delay payment.

"It's like complaining that your house is leaning when the drywall is only a bit crooked," said one Japanese source with knowledge of the matter.

The 15.6km Tan Vu-Lach Huyen Bridge forms a vital link in a highway that will connect the northern port city of Haiphong to the new Lach Huyen port, which has been developed by Tokyo-based trading house Itochu and others. The longest sea bridge in the country has been built by a joint venture involving Japan's Sumitomo Mitsui Construction.
In early July, as the bridge was nearing completion and its handover to the government approaching, government inspectors performed a check on the span. When local newspapers reported the findings July 11-13, the situation looked grim. Many problems had been found, according to one. The bridge had subsided by as much 5cm in certain sections, claimed another. Yet only a few days later, senior officials from the Ministry of Construction inspected the structure again and declared that the bridge had no safety issues.

People close to the project were baffled by this turn of events. Some of the steel plates covering the road surface of the bridge were slightly out of place -- and that was it, according to a person close to the Japanese contractor involved in the construction.
Again, this smells like fake news.

Last edited:
20 years ago China's main competitor was Japan, now is US, Japan had become irrelevant.

Can you provide proof or picture that the bridge collapses after 3 days in operation, or that Vietnam asks for China's help?
As I check the news, there's no news that it collapsed and rectification for cracks were made before it opened in 2017:

Japanese media seems to have a different turn on this altogether:

Again, this smells like fake news.
You can see the bridge collapsed in one of the original Chinese reports or the corresponding translated English report below:

You can see the bridge collapsed in one of the original Chinese reports or the corresponding translated English report below:

You got the fake news my friend, it's not even the same bridge in the picture.
I use Yandex to reverse-search it.
That picture is actually from the Jiujang Bridge in China (!), not Vietnam.
This is why you should carefully check your news source, as fake news are everywhere.

Last edited:
You got the fake news my friend, it's not even the same bridge in the picture.
I use Yandex to reverse-search it.
That picture is actually from the Jiujang Bridge in China (!), not Vietnam.
This is why you should carefully check your news source, as fake news are everywhere.
There loads of similar chinese reports of that japanese built bridge collapsed, not just a few, i dont think the incident reported is fake.

There loads of similar chinese reports of that japanese built bridge collapsed, not just a few, i dont think the incident reported is fake.
Not sure about the other ones (every countries have their broken bridge), but the one about the Tân Vũ - Lạch Huyện seems to be fake.
It has opened since 2017 and in operation since then.

Not sure about the other ones (every countries have their broken bridge), but the one about the Tân Vũ - Lạch Huyện seems to be fake.
It has opened since 2017 and in operation since then.
They might just use some "related" pictures as in many videos put up on youtubes and other platforms, so people use vivid similar images in reports to make their points if they cant obtain the first hand photos of the actual incident when it occured. Maybe, they couldnt get actual photo of the bridge collapsed. But, there literally hundreds of similiar chinese reports on the bridge collapsing. Looks to me this incident cant be made up.

Last edited:
They might just use some "related" pictures as in many videos put up on youtubes and other platforms, so people use vivid similar images in reports to make their points if they cant obtain the first hand photos of the actual incident when it occured. Maybe, they couldnt get actual photo of the bridge collapsed. But, there literally hundreds of similiar chinese reports on the bridge collapsing. Looks to me this incident cant be made up.
I don't see why it cannot be made up when there's literally no photo evidence or any reports outside of chinese blogs.

I don't see why it cannot be made up when there's literally no photo evidence or any reports outside of chinese blogs.
Many of the reports are from reliable sites, maybe they couldnt obtain the first hand photo.

Many of the reports are from reliable sites, maybe they couldnt obtain the first hand photo.
I would like to see some of these "reliable" sites, like Xinhua/China Daily.

Otherwise, it would be fake news at best, or smearing at worst.

I would like to see some of these "reliable" sites, like Xinhua/China Daily.

Otherwise, it would be fake news at best, or smearing at worst.
Prominent Chinese government official news agencies usually dont report such bad incidents from friendly countries, actually hardly report this kind news from others too. You see japanese news also reported there was such incident of the bridge problem but purely from japanese perspective. So, there was definitely an incident of the bridge problem occured.

Prominent Chinese government official news agencies usually dont report such bad incidents from friendly countries, actually hardly report this kind news from others too. You see japanese news also reported there was such incident of the bridge problem but purely from japanese perspective. So, there was definitely an incident of the bridge problem occured.
Both japanese and vietnamese news agree about the reporting of cracks on the bridge, japanese speculated that it was a debt issue that hold up the payment, the vietnamese said the cracks were inspected and rectified.
The japanese didn't withdraw funds either and they completed the project. It's been in operation since then.

There's nothing about China's consultant/advisors, or collapse of bridge 3 days after operation. And we didn't claim 300 million yuan as compensation. That's a big deal if it happened.

EDIT: It is kinda suspicious that this story has nothing to do with China at all, yet many chinese blogs report about it.

Last edited:
Both japanese and vietnamese news agree about the reporting of cracks on the bridge, japanese speculated that it was a debt issue that hold up the payment, the vietnamese said the cracks were inspected and rectified.
The japanese didn't withdraw funds either and they completed the project. It's been in operation since then.

There's nothing about China's consultant/advisors, or collapse of bridge 3 days after operation. And we didn't claim 300 million yuan as compensation. That's a big deal if it happened.

EDIT: It is kinda suspicious that this story has nothing to do with China at all, yet many chinese blogs report about it.
Yeah, if not largely true, i dont see why many of the chinese reports get so angry, there are no reason for people to report that way.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom