What's new

Jamaat leaders’ plea for foreign lawyers rejected

Tiki Tam Tam

<b>MILITARY PROFESSIONALS</b>
Reaction score

2011-07-23__Jamaat-leaders.jpg

The Bangladesh Bar Council on Saturday rejected an application seeking permission to allow three foreign lawyers to defend the detained five Jamaat-e-Islam leaders in connection with crimes against humanity during the Liberation War.

Four defence counsels for the detained Jamaat leaders on July 18 submitted the application before the Bar Council, which has the authority to issue licenses to lawyers of Bangladesh for practising law.

The Bar Council on Saturday at a meeting rejected the application on the ground that it cannot permit lawyers who do not have bar council enrolment certificates to conduct any case before any Bangladeshi court.

Advocate ZI Khan Panna, executive member of Bar Council, told The Daily Star that the council does not have the power to permit anyone to represent a case if he or she does not have enrolment certificate.

“The three British legal experts mentioned in the application are not citizens of Bangladesh and they have not appeared in any examinations of the Bangladesh Bar Council for advocacy,” Panna said.

More at:

Unless one is a member of the Bar, one cannot practice.

Therefore, the demand of the Bangladeshi lawyers is technically correct.

The Bangladeshis lawyer should be competent or are they not wherein foreigners are required to defend those charged?

The Bangladeshis lawyer should be competent or are they not wherein foreigners are required to defend those charged?

This is the first time a tribunal such as this is formed and there had never been a need of such a lawyer, which is why such lawyers are pretty much non existent in this sector.

A Awami kangaroo court has been set up to demise Jamaat-e-Islami because Jamaat formed alliance with like minded BNP. We all aware how la-hasina went to former jamaat amir Ghulam Azam's house for his support in 1996. We are also aware how la-hasina joined hands with jamaat against BNP in 91. I guess they weren't war criminal back then. These guys are held with any solid evidence and now awami trying to cook up evidence to convict Islamic Scholars in the name of war crime. This whole episode is nothing but a aim to destroy the opposition.

BNP-Jamaat has learned a lot from Awami from last two years. These same tactics will be used against Awami league in near future.

I bet Jamaat-e-Islami leader will walk out safe today if they joint hand with Awami against BNP.

This is the first time a tribunal such as this is formed and there had never been a need of such a lawyer, which is why such lawyers are pretty much non existent in this sector.

Tribunal or a Court, the law is what is debated and on it the verdict is given

I presume not only the Bangladeshi lawyers would not Bangaldeshi Law better, but also the environment and that matters.

In other countries, unless one is a member of the Bar, they are not allowed to represent anyone - the only exception being if one wants to defend himself.

Therefore, as I see it, Bangladeshi lawyers are correct in their stand.

A Awami kangaroo court has been set up to demise Jamaat-e-Islami because Jamaat formed alliance with like minded BNP. We all aware how la-hasina went to former jamaat amir Ghulam Azam's house for his support in 1996. We are also aware how la-hasina joined hands with jamaat against BNP in 91. I guess they weren't war criminal back then. These guys are held with any solid evidence and now awami trying to cook up evidence to convict Islamic Scholars in the name of war crime. This whole episode is nothing but a aim to destroy the opposition.

BNP-Jamaat has learned a lot from Awami from last two years. These same tactics will be used against Awami league in near future.

I bet Jamaat-e-Islami leader will walk out safe today if they joint hand with Awami against BNP.

I thought this was about 'plea for foreign lawyers rejected '.

How is your treatise on your political view anything to do with the topic under discussion?

The irony is that this inward orientation doesn't ensure survival. In fact, it guarantees the opposite -- irrelevance, obsolescence and death (of existence).

Personally, it looks like an insult to the Bangladeshi people that these so called "Jammat Islami" can't depend or trust Bangladeshi lawyers and want to hire foireigners from the west who defended war criminals like Milosevic to protect them.

war criminals should not be tolerated. :no:

Personally, it looks like an insult to the Bangladeshi people that these so called "Jammat Islami" can't depend or trust Bangladeshi lawyers and want to hire foireigners from the west who defended war criminals like Milosevic to protect them.

As the court is named as International War Crime tribunal so they should be allowed to hire anybody from anywhere in the world. War crime is not only a domestic affairs.

As the court is named as International War Crime tribunal so they should be allowed to hire anybody from anywhere in the world. War crime is not only a domestic affairs.

Then it should go to the International Court of Justice at the Hague.

this Jamat e non-islami is another british created tool of imperialism which was exported as a burden of partition to Pakistan and Bangladesh!

Didn't Hasina bring in lawyers from Canada when put in the docks by the CTG? Its not surprising to see such hypocrisy. As it stands, Jamaat is a powerful organization and have their own lawyers. I don't doubt that the AL government will find some way to disqualifying those, too, no doubt by trumped up charges which will put their best lawyers in jail, too.

Didn't Hasina bring in lawyers from Canada when put in the docks by the CTG? Its not surprising to see such hypocrisy. As it stands, Jamaat is a powerful organization and have their own lawyers. I don't doubt that the AL government will find some way to disqualifying those, too, no doubt by trumped up charges which will put their best lawyers in jail, too.

That means that the Bangladeshi lawyer are that incompetent that even a political leader requires to bring in foreigners to interpret Bangladeshi Law?

How can one trump up cases to disqualify a lawyer and that too a whole lot? I am sure it is not such a circus as you wish to paint. Or is it?

Back
Top Bottom