What's new

It’s not you, it’s me: Why did India refuse Pakistan and UAE’s aid?

I don’t its a zero sum game, if the BJP is simply continouing previous policies when it’s shown to be incapable of handling a disaster will go against it.
I donated an amount to my friends FB page simply because the situation was so dire in some areas that people were resorting to self help as GoI had failed in providing a response.
While I thank you for whatever you donated it is worth pointing out that in any disaster the first thing that takes a hit is the infrastructure across which aid has to pass over to reach those affected

Kerala was no different than Katrina or the floods / earthquake in Pak for that matter

This in no way means the Govt is doing nothing. There is no dearth of resources in India not anymore

I’ll leave it here coz there is only that much one can explain to people who choose not to see.

Apparently the idea is to send a message that
A. kerala did not vote for BJP
B. The current Indian government is capable of(which clearly it isn’t per every Keralite I know) of dealing with the situation.

No geopolitical considerations in this, just local politics.

You are totally wrong .Being a keralite I know what is happening there .
First of all ,there is no question of preventing the relief fund .
As per policy GoI wont directly receive the fund from foreign countries.But you can give whatever you want to the relief funds of both of the PM and CM only through charity organisations and NGOs.There is no limit .
Who told you that Kerala didnt vote for BJP ?
From non existent to now we have one MLA.
Secondly most important one is that ,we keralites wont wait from govt for an initiative like that unity we showed during helping people .Nor we waits for Govt help .
So most probably victims will find their own fund and wont care about foreign funds and that fund will go to certain pockets like always not for victims.
SevaBharati ,a branch of RSS is already earn of lots of appreciation because of relief work still they are continuing .
This was a man made disaster formed out of negligence especially from officials .
And last until our state govt didnt say anything about central and instead they are appreciating them

:-) India does not receive foreign aids on such disasters. Also, UAE has not offered any aid, it was a cooked up story by some Mallu communists.

I don’t its a zero sum game, if the BJP is simply continouing previous policies when it’s shown to be incapable of handling a disaster will go against it.
I donated an amount to my friends FB page simply because the situation was so dire in some areas that people were resorting to self help as GoI had failed in providing a response.

Thank you for kind help.
But it was the military that reduced the casualities .All from Central Govt .
State govt was paralysed but did commendable job
You know what will happen when simultaenously open full 80 dams .
And laws cant rewritten each and everytime,we didnt do it during the uttrakhand .we 28 states not all of them like Kerala

At the cost of digression @SrNair , I wonder if you have read this ..

Longest 30 minutes of my life: Naval commander on mission to airlift pregnant woman

By Barkha Dutt
August 23, 2018

The whole country watched, gripped, as the tragedy and horror of the Kerala floods unfolded before their eyes. There were also stories of hope and heroism, and a defining image was the rescue of a heavily pregnant woman, Sajitha Jabil (25), who delivered safely, thanks to the gallantry on display by Naval Commander Vijay Varma and his team. “I have been flying for 18 years, but this was the most challenging mission I ever faced,” says Varma.

Edited excerpts:

I think you have become a national hero. Everybody is talking about what you did. Are you overwhelmed by the emotions on display?

Yes, it is overwhelming. This [the job] is what we’re trained for. This is what we do. But, the response has actually taken me by surprise. I was on a mission assigned to me, and I conducted it. It ended wonderfully.

Can you talk a little about that particular moment when you had to winch up Sajitha, a pregnant woman whose water had broken?

Well, the first thing I heard was that there was an emergency rescue mission. When we heard that a medical evacuation had to be carried out for a woman whose water had broken, a sense of urgency set in. When we got the message, we [the team] rushed to the aircraft. There was my co-pilot Lieutenant Chaitanya Bhardwaj; winch operator, Jasbir Singh; free diver LAFD Amit.

We had to search a little bit. The landmarks were not clearly visible. The roads were all inundated, so we could not make out which roads were where. In fact, there was water everywhere. We finally identified the masjid where Sajitha had taken shelter, and that was when the process of decision-making really started. We knew the urgency of the situation, but there was a point at which you have to choose—was it a go or no go?

Then what happened?

There were obstructions all around the place. It was a thickly populated area with a lot of buildings and power lines running through. There was a tree in front. To my right was a minaret, and to my left a power cable. It was a very dangerous, tight spot. If you ask me, under normal conditions, I would have decided against going into such a situation. But we knew the woman was probably in labour, and there was no margin for error. We lowered the winch operator, who informed us of our position. The roof of the masjid itself was a shelter, and there was little space. My winch operator said it seemed very difficult, but I told him that we would go on.

So, I moved in very slowly, with reduced height, making sure that my tail rotor did not hit anything. As I maintained position, my diver told me that if I could hover steadily, it was possible to go in. He said he was sure.

But, as you know, the captain has to take the final call. And I decided to go for it. Also, we had a young doctor with us, and it was his first time in a helicopter. He is a brave man, I would say.

He must have been quite terrified. I can imagine.

But, he didn’t hesitate even once. The final part was the most precarious. Because of her condition, we had to ensure there was no jerk or swing when she left the ground. She had to be kept absolutely vertical. I swear to God, I have been flying for 18 years, but this was the most challenging mission I have done. And, trust me, these were the longest 30 minutes of my life. At the end of the day, you know, it comes down to saving one or two lives, or losing four more.

Were you able to speak to her at all? Have you met her?

Yes I did. The entire team went to meet her.

Fantastic.

I am actually thinking of adopting the child—as in, he is going to be our flight mascot. We will track his life and would like to be there for the important milestones.

Well, I don’t think she’s [the mother] ever going to forget you. And then, you had another special moment. All of us have seen the photographs from when you evacuated two other women. There are these 'thank you' messages painted on the roof of a house.

In that operation, we rescued close to 77 people from different rooftops. But I think they were thanking all the helicopter pilots. It was really touching. The people of Kerala appreciated what we did. By the way, I am also a Malayali.

So, this is your home state.

Yes, this is my home state and this is where I belong. It has been heartening to see how the Malayalis reacted to the floods. They have been stellar.

Yes. It’s a rare moment when, even in chaos and tragedy, there is such order and compassion.

When we tried to drop food packets, if people had enough, they waved to us to stop and move on to the next person. In another building, there were about fifteen people on the roof. The helicopter was small, so we could take only two. There was an old gentleman who I thought I should give priority to. He refused. He asked me to take a young couple who had a 15-day-old baby. I feel blessed to see how the people of Kerala came together. The state has come a long way. The common Malayalis are heroes for the way they behaved with maturity and dignity. They are well-educated and well-informed, with a strong sense of social responsibility. Kerala is a wonderful place.

Yes, the state showed its best side. Was it emotionally more complicated for you because it was your home?

You have seen the armed forces. We leave our state behind when we wear the uniform. I feel proud as a Malayali, yes. But, it would not affect my decisions if it was my state, or some other state. There are no Malayalis in my crew.

At the cost of digression @SrNair , I wonder if you have read this ..

Longest 30 minutes of my life: Naval commander on mission to airlift pregnant woman

By Barkha Dutt
August 23, 2018

The whole country watched, gripped, as the tragedy and horror of the Kerala floods unfolded before their eyes. There were also stories of hope and heroism, and a defining image was the rescue of a heavily pregnant woman, Sajitha Jabil (25), who delivered safely, thanks to the gallantry on display by Naval Commander Vijay Varma and his team. “I have been flying for 18 years, but this was the most challenging mission I ever faced,” says Varma.

Edited excerpts:

I think you have become a national hero. Everybody is talking about what you did. Are you overwhelmed by the emotions on display?

Yes, it is overwhelming. This [the job] is what we’re trained for. This is what we do. But, the response has actually taken me by surprise. I was on a mission assigned to me, and I conducted it. It ended wonderfully.

Can you talk a little about that particular moment when you had to winch up Sajitha, a pregnant woman whose water had broken?

Well, the first thing I heard was that there was an emergency rescue mission. When we heard that a medical evacuation had to be carried out for a woman whose water had broken, a sense of urgency set in. When we got the message, we [the team] rushed to the aircraft. There was my co-pilot Lieutenant Chaitanya Bhardwaj; winch operator, Jasbir Singh; free diver LAFD Amit.

We had to search a little bit. The landmarks were not clearly visible. The roads were all inundated, so we could not make out which roads were where. In fact, there was water everywhere. We finally identified the masjid where Sajitha had taken shelter, and that was when the process of decision-making really started. We knew the urgency of the situation, but there was a point at which you have to choose—was it a go or no go?

Then what happened?

There were obstructions all around the place. It was a thickly populated area with a lot of buildings and power lines running through. There was a tree in front. To my right was a minaret, and to my left a power cable. It was a very dangerous, tight spot. If you ask me, under normal conditions, I would have decided against going into such a situation. But we knew the woman was probably in labour, and there was no margin for error. We lowered the winch operator, who informed us of our position. The roof of the masjid itself was a shelter, and there was little space. My winch operator said it seemed very difficult, but I told him that we would go on.

So, I moved in very slowly, with reduced height, making sure that my tail rotor did not hit anything. As I maintained position, my diver told me that if I could hover steadily, it was possible to go in. He said he was sure.

But, as you know, the captain has to take the final call. And I decided to go for it. Also, we had a young doctor with us, and it was his first time in a helicopter. He is a brave man, I would say.

He must have been quite terrified. I can imagine.

But, he didn’t hesitate even once. The final part was the most precarious. Because of her condition, we had to ensure there was no jerk or swing when she left the ground. She had to be kept absolutely vertical. I swear to God, I have been flying for 18 years, but this was the most challenging mission I have done. And, trust me, these were the longest 30 minutes of my life. At the end of the day, you know, it comes down to saving one or two lives, or losing four more.

Were you able to speak to her at all? Have you met her?

Yes I did. The entire team went to meet her.

Fantastic.

I am actually thinking of adopting the child—as in, he is going to be our flight mascot. We will track his life and would like to be there for the important milestones.

Well, I don’t think she’s [the mother] ever going to forget you. And then, you had another special moment. All of us have seen the photographs from when you evacuated two other women. There are these 'thank you' messages painted on the roof of a house.

In that operation, we rescued close to 77 people from different rooftops. But I think they were thanking all the helicopter pilots. It was really touching. The people of Kerala appreciated what we did. By the way, I am also a Malayali.

So, this is your home state.

Yes, this is my home state and this is where I belong. It has been heartening to see how the Malayalis reacted to the floods. They have been stellar.

Yes. It’s a rare moment when, even in chaos and tragedy, there is such order and compassion.

When we tried to drop food packets, if people had enough, they waved to us to stop and move on to the next person. In another building, there were about fifteen people on the roof. The helicopter was small, so we could take only two. There was an old gentleman who I thought I should give priority to. He refused. He asked me to take a young couple who had a 15-day-old baby. I feel blessed to see how the people of Kerala came together. The state has come a long way. The common Malayalis are heroes for the way they behaved with maturity and dignity. They are well-educated and well-informed, with a strong sense of social responsibility. Kerala is a wonderful place.

Yes, the state showed its best side. Was it emotionally more complicated for you because it was your home?

You have seen the armed forces. We leave our state behind when we wear the uniform. I feel proud as a Malayali, yes. But, it would not affect my decisions if it was my state, or some other state. There are no Malayalis in my crew.

Yes,I have seen it

Banya doesnt understand the meaning of humanitarian aid, they think it will make them look poor and denying aid will tell people how rich India is

Wow talk about superiority complex! I have Indians friends here in uk, they do think very highly of themselves. I thought it was just because they live here and English love Indians .

Thank you for kind help.
But it was the military that reduced the casualities .All from Central Govt .
State govt was paralysed but did commendable job
You know what will happen when simultaenously open full 80 dams .
And laws cant rewritten each and everytime,we didnt do it during the uttrakhand .we 28 states not all of them like Kerala
So far the two from Kerala in my office have their homes flooded, their local clinics flooded and have no help as such from the military. Perhaps the scale is so big that it cannot be handled but then the question of refusing aid comes in.

What is heartening is to see the level of communal harmony displayed in Kerala which puts the rest of India especially the North to utter shame.
It has to do with the attitude of looking at each other as Keralites rather than Hindu, Muslim etc.

Banya doesnt understand the meaning of humanitarian aid, they think it will make them look poor and denying aid will tell people how rich India is
Lol! Don't send money aid from poor countries like Pakistan, there's a lot of people who needs that. You are free to send other aids, which we receive even now. Such as bottled water, clothes, rice etc... through collection. India will not receive monetary aids on natural calamities. Such aids may not reach the needy.

So far the two from Kerala in my office have their homes flooded, their local clinics flooded and have no help as such from the military. Perhaps the scale is so big that it cannot be handled but then the question of refusing aid comes in.

What is heartening is to see the level of communal harmony displayed in Kerala which puts the rest of India especially the North to utter shame.
It has to do with the attitude of looking at each other as Keralites rather than Hindu, Muslim etc.
Agreed.
In some remote area with no electricity ,no phone charge of course they might be trapped .
Scale was huge .
Our very professional officials waited until one day for dam become full ( was trying to reduce the debt of kseb) and when shit hits the fan ,they just open the shutter at once if 35 dams and then rest.
Within hours , night ,damage was done ,people were running for life .
So damage was huge .

Well our education helped the cause and yes we are uniquely connected and successful .
You know even though we have high HDI ,our state govt is poor ,we wont wait for anyone ,we always creates our own way .Whatever we earned is because of our own hard work and we will rise again.

North India ,their culture is different and they have their own problems and reasons

Agreed.
In some remote area with no electricity ,no phone charge of course they might be trapped .
Scale was huge .
Our very professional officials waited until one day for dam become full ( was trying to reduce the debt of kseb) and when shit hits the fan ,they just open the shutter at once if 35 dams and then rest.
Within hours , night ,damage was done ,people were running for life .
So damage was huge .

Well our education helped the cause and yes we are uniquely connected and successful .
You know even though we have high HDI ,our state govt is poor ,we wont wait for anyone ,we always creates our own way .Whatever we earned is because of our own hard work and we will rise again.

North India ,their culture is different and they have their own problems and reasons
The FB page(and this is one) raised $1.8 million.

North India has victim attitudes (and this translates to Pakistan too-off topic), they need to play victim to one party or the other. The areas with greater independence of princely states have much less of this issue.-off topic

Only state government can request the presence of more Military or any military at all. It has political implications. The central government cannot force military operations upon the state. If state government request mil to take over the operations, the 'credit' goes to the center. Just politics stuff. :rolleyes:

The FB page(and this is one) raised $1.8 million.

North India has victim attitudes (and this translates to Pakistan too-off topic), they need to play victim to one party or the other. The areas with greater independence of princely states have much less of this issue.-off topic

Very good gesture .
May be ,may be not but they are our brothers.And they also helping us a lot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom