What's new

Italy delivering surplus self-propelled howitzers to Pakistan Army

Army was aiming to acquire entire Italian stock of M109L. 1st batch has been delivered successfully, however, 2nd batch is currently struck due to payment issues. If we failed to rectify those issues then probably army will not be acquiring any more M109L from Italy.
These guns are in very good condition and I don't think army will consider any significant upgrade for time being.
Is L comparable to the A5?

Army was aiming to acquire entire Italian stock of M109L. 1st batch has been delivered successfully, however, 2nd batch is currently struck due to payment issues. If we failed to rectify those issues then probably army will not be acquiring any more M109L from Italy.
These guns are in very good condition and I don't think army will consider any significant upgrade for time being.
Can u elaborate on payment issue?
Thanks

Is L comparable to the A5?
M109-A5 is definitely a better system. The Italian version has similar Hull configuration as M109A3, but the gun is 39 caliber compared to 23 caliber of older versions.
What is important for these systems is their condition which is very good, and price at which they are coming is very affordable.
Can u elaborate on payment issue?
Thanks
Kickbacks.

M109-A5 is definitely a better system. The Italian version has similar Hull configuration as M109A3, but the gun is 39 caliber compared to 23 caliber of older versions.
What is important for these systems is their condition which is very good, and price at which they are coming is very affordable.

Kickbacks.
Even in used equipment. Very disappointing.
We continuously hear of Officers court-martialled on various issues including corruption. It seems it didn't have the deterrence effect.

m109.jpg

I have seen SP Regiments with 12 M109 + 6 Type-59 130mm

Div Arty (Armd Div) = 3× SP Medium Regt's + 1× Med Regt

Div Arty (Mech Div) = 2× SP Medium Regt's + 1× Med Regt

~ In Mech Div, the Indp Mech Bde Gp has an interesting structure: 1× Armd Regt + 1× MIB + 1× HAT Bn.

Arty, IABG = 1× SP Medium Regt

Arty, Nowshera = 1× SP Medium Regt

Total = 3+3+2+2+6+1 = 17× SP Medium Regt's.
Pak acquired 152 M109A2 + 115 M109A5 and if the 12+6 arrangement is accurate, this should result approx. 22 regt's. So, where are the remaining regt's?

Div Arty (Armd Div) = 3× SP Medium Regt's + 1× Med Regt

Div Arty (Mech Div) = 2× SP Medium Regt's + 1× Med Regt

~ In Mech Div, the Indp Mech Bde Gp has an interesting structure: 1× Armd Regt + 1× MIB + 1× HAT Bn.

Arty, IABG = 1× SP Medium Regt

Arty, Nowshera = 1× SP Medium Regt

Total = 3+3+2+2+6+1 = 17× SP Medium Regt's.
Pak acquired 152 M109A2 + 115 M109A5 and if the 12+6 arrangement is accurate, this should result approx. 22 regt's. So, where are the remaining regt's?

The M109A2s were in mixed SP Medium Regiments (6 in the ArmDivs and 6 in IABG), each had 12 M109A2+6 towed 130mm
The M109A5 came for the MechDivs, 6 full SP
Medium Regiments (3 with each), each have 18 M109A5
Thats my guess!

Well I have personally visited an SP unit at Kasur side, couldn't see any towed pieces then. Maybe things have changed? No idea.

Well I have personally visited an SP unit at Kasur side, couldn't see any towed pieces then. Maybe things have changed? No idea.
When the Mech Divs were formed, they did it from at least two existing IABGs, these had T85IIAP tanks (probably sent to the 4 Inf Divs of V/XXXI Corps) and their SP Regiments were reequiped with M109A5. So their older M109A2s were retrofited and sent to replace existing towed guns in the remaning M109A2 SP Regiments.

The M109A2s were in mixed SP Medium Regiments (6 in the ArmDivs and 6 in IABG), each had 12 M109A2+6 towed 130mm
The M109A5 came for the MechDivs, 6 full SP
Medium Regiments (3 with each), each have 18 M109A5
Thats my guess!

In PA, the SP regts don’t have towed pieces

Back
Top Bottom