What's new

ISRO set to launch India’s sixth navigation satellite IRNSS-1F on PSLV rocket at 4 p.m. Today

But who will be willing to switch from GPS...

Its all about pricing and strategy. Many mobile phone makers, HTC for example, can get signal from GLONASS positioning system, apart from GPS. So, IRNSS will provide another alternative.

We should give the signal to civilians for free, and maybe the NAM countries maybe interested in our navigational system.

Indians.... We can bring in a rule change asking mobile makers to install our receivers in their mobiles. For defence purposes. An alternative to G-Earth on Indian shores. More accuracy, more reliability.
In India theres no problem for sure, i was asking outside of India.

IRNSS is GAGAN right? Or its different?

No its different. INRSS is a GPS type system while GAGAN is used to increase the accuracy of GPS. It is not a system in itself. INRSS is similar to GPS but confined to limited geographical area.

In India theres no problem for sure, i was asking outside of India.

Its only for Indian region and 1500-2000 miles outside the border of India. Maybe Sri Lanka, BD, at max Afghanistan, Myanmar can use it. Of course we need to show it provides tremendous improvements over GPS and Glonass.
Other wise it is just targeted for Indian use. I do not thing we need to have Global coverage as of now.

Its only for Indian region and 1500-2000 miles outside the border of India. Maybe Sri Lanka, BD, at max Afghanistan, Myanmar can use it. Of course we need to show it provides tremendous improvements over GPS and Glonass.
Other wise it is just targeted for Indian use. I do not thing we need to have Global coverage as of now.

When are we going to get the receivers/App for it??

When are we going to get the receivers/App for it??

Here I got this from Quora from Manish Chawla, ISRO Scientist

IRNSS Downlink Signals are two bands S band and L5 Band. However GPS signals are in L1/L2 band, however as modernization plan new GPS satellites are coming in L5 band also for civilian use. L5 band of IRNSS and GPS are both having same center frequency 1176.45 and hence can be tracked by same antenna. IRNSS-GPS offsets are already broadcasted and hence can be used alongside GPS

if you read the Signal in Space document for IRNSS available on ISRO website, you will get to know even IRNSS downlink signals contains offset between IRNSS-GPS, IRNSS-GLONASS and hence GNSS receiver capable of tracking GPS, Glonass & IRNSS can use combination of satellites for better positioning

As for now we dont have dedicated APP for that. Maybe Bhuvan system which is already in place will be modified to receive and operationalise IRNSS system.

Here I got this from Quora from Manish Chawla, ISRO Scientist

As for now we dont have dedicated APP for that. Maybe Bhuvan system which is already in place will be modified to receive and operationalise IRNSS system.

So IRNSS is going to work along/with GPS???? are we never going to get an Independent IRNSS???

So IRNSS is going to work along/with GPS???? are we never going to get an Independent IRNSS???

Nope. They are going to have the same frequency. Its advantageous to Mobile makers and users to receive 2 types of signal in a single platform, thus saving space for other features. However users must decide on what they want to use. The GPS or the IRNSS ones. And its in this place we need PR, superb decorative APP makers, to make money out of it.

Normal users will get the standard serivce, while the authorised users will get the more customised version, I bet the military version. And that comes in S band, not in L5/6.

It will be super easy in India.

A simple rule change and All phones and electronics will mandatorily have to carry the chip for IRNSS.
Even China and Russia did the same thing.

So that is 1.3 billion people captive market using the new system in one go.

Secondly, we can always persuade our neighbouring countries like Bhutan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. They can have a combined system with IRNSS/GPS/GLONASS all working.

Lastly, you never know, Iran might be wiling to diversify its bets and add the chip to its country use as well.

The potential is immense.

Without this, we would be the only large country in the world not using our own GPS system.
Chinese have Beidou, Russians GLONASS, US Navstar GPS and Europeans Galileo.

6 down and 1 more to go . 7th one, IRNSS-1G will be launched next month. So by second quarter India will have its own regional GPS. Definitely a commendable job, the precision is 10-20 metres, while the GPS has 2-4 meters and worse-case is ~8m. The IRNSS-1F has a 12-year mission life. What about the rest of the Satellites?.
Accuracy is low compared to Navstar GPS then. Substantially lower.

I guess and hope that it would be improved in the future.

We should aim for global coverage within the next decade, and adding more it, I'm looking for GSLV being the workhorse, upgrading from PSLV.

Yes i know right now its limited to India and area around it. And i know Indians will use it without hesitation. I was talking about outside of this region, where others services are already dominating. It will require more satellites, and if there are no users, it will be waste of resources?

Yes i know right now its limited to India and area around it. And i know Indians will use it without hesitation. I was talking about outside of this region, where others services are already dominating. It will require more satellites, and if there are no users, it will be waste of resources?

Of course. And unless India wants to cover the full world with missiles, ASAT weapons I do not know the need to invest on it. China is going to have its own system. So is Russia, Europe, US and Japan. India will be the 6th country if it does goes for GLobal coverage. And that's too much of a competition, which is for now dominated by USA.

I think we should wait and see how is the response in India first, before going Global, which we must. But the time is important, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom