ISRO looking at putting a Telescope on Moon, says A S Kiran Kumar

Bad Guy

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
ISRO looking at putting a Telescope on Moon
1473410135-98571390.jpg

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is exploring possibilities of setting up a telescope on moon as part of enhancing its scientific observation capacity. The space agency is expecting the second moon mission to take place by the end of next year, said A S Kiran Kumar, chairman of the ISRO.

The agency is looking at what could be the next Astrosat-follow on mission. Speaking to the students of the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, he said, "There is some discussion with an international body, and this discussion is in progress, on whether we can set up a telescope on moon."

At present, in Hanle, in Leh, Ladakh, there is a remote telescope operational, and its actual operation is done from Bengaluru with very minimal support from Hanle. The ISRO is exploring that if it can set up a telescope in moon in the same way, there would not be any atmosphetic effect since there is no atmosphere, which is an advantage.

"These are under discussion and may be in future we will come up with what kind of scientific observation capability we will have for ourselves," he added.

India launched its first dedicated multi wave length space observatory Astrosat in September, 2015, for studies related to black holes and neutron stars.

He added that various tests related to Chandrayan 2 mission is under progress and it is expected to take place by the end of next year, while another planetary mission Aditya to study Sun is expected in 2018.

For Chandrayan 2, tests on controls over the lander and rover while landing on moon are to be tested by the end of this year and the early next year. Many of the activities are supported by student groups.

It will be conducting a maneuvering of the Mars Orbitor so that it can sustain an eclipse and without the maneuvering, the battery of the orbitor cannot sustain the duration of eclipse. The orbitor still has 35 kg of fuel in it and can go on for longer term once it successfully pass the eclipse challenge.

The semi cryogenic engine, which would help the space vehicles to carry more payload is under development with the support of an international agency and would be ready in two years. There is a roadmap enhancing the capabilities of the ISRO to carry upto 10 tonnes of payload in future, he said.

However, he said, there is more demand for small capacity vehicles, for commercial purposes where companies want to put constellation of small satellites and replace them frequently.

He added that with the private sector taking on the national agencies in the space exploration, the challenge for the ISRO is to keep on innovating and changing in the forefront of the space activities. The agency is already engaged with academies and students for this and it has around 150-200 students doing internship in each of its centres.

Credit: Business Standard

I hope we pursue with human flight in near future.
ISRO has already developed life support systems, doing a pad abort test by year end of crew safety. Human Spaceflight was also mentioned in Outcome Budget 2016-17. So, it's underway for sure. but I don't know about if there is any new schedule.:D

Putting telescope on Moon has own merits; deeper space exploration from other angles, no effects of atmospheric refraction and pollutants. Over that, we can research about effects on Moon of outer celestial bodies and make predictions even better.

Instead isro should put space telescope near earth orbit.
Advantages:
1) less fuel only required to keep it on orbit compared to place on moon, hence we can use large aperture primary mirror. Large aperture means better angulara resolution.
2) accessibility in future,always human space flight enormously cheroer and safe compares with moon flight for repair and maintanence for telescope.
3)blind period: moon will take nearly 28 days for its rotation. So around 14 we won't have any access on the sensors placed on its surface until and unless we hadvsaome satellite around moon for relay communication. Again costly affair compares to Hubble type space telescope.
4) lastly moon does posses an atmosphere filled with very very very tiny dusts,and ions.yea its not as opaque as earth atmosphere but poor compares to space around earth.

So I strongly recommend Hubble type space telescope.

Advantages:
1) less fuel only required to keep it on orbit compared to place on moon, hence we can use large aperture primary mirror. Large aperture means better angulara resolution.
2) accessibility in future,always human space flight enormously cheroer and safe compares with moon flight for repair and maintanence for telescope.
3)blind period: moon will take nearly 28 days for its rotation. So around 14 we won't have any access on the sensors placed on its surface until and unless we hadvsaome satellite around moon for relay communication. Again costly affair compares to Hubble type space telescope.
4) lastly moon does posses an atmosphere filled with very very very tiny dusts,and ions.yea its not as opaque as earth atmosphere but poor compares to space around earth.

I believe ISRO is talking about Radio telescope, which needs a much larger aperture than anything you can put in orbit.

I believe ISRO is talking about Radio telescope, which needs a much larger aperture than anything you can put in orbit.
Radio telescope can lister very well through atmosphere,moons thin atmosphere doesn't bring any advantages to it.the present antenna apertures for radio telescopes measures in few hundred meters. Imagine the cost of setting up such gigantic thing in moon,and the energy requirments to to operate it. We will bankrupt with this project.

I do believes that it just a loose talk by some isro scientists.

Advantages:

Currently a telescope on Moon;

Aditya in 2019
AstroSat-2 in 2020 and XpoSat in 2021 (it was mentioned in budget allocation report of 2016).
So, with a HLV in a decade everything, everything will happen slowly.

Radio telescope can lister very well through atmosphere,moons thin atmosphere doesn't bring any advantages to it.the present antenna apertures for radio telescopes measures in few hundred meters. Imagine the cost of setting up such gigantic thing in moon,and the energy requirments to to operate it. We will bankrupt with this project.

I do believes that it just a loose talk by some isro scientists.
Wrong, this is small telescope like AstroSat; will be sent along with Cdy-2 lander.

For making a Hubble like Telescope, we need our building blocks for technology. Currently AstroSat, equipments on Aditya L-1, on this small eye on Cdy-2; AstroSat 2 and XPOSat are technological demonstrators for a bigger one.;)

Advantages:

Yes, Hubble type space telescope is a better option

Currently a telescope on Moon;

Aditya in 2019
AstroSat-2 in 2020 and XpoSat in 2021 (it was mentioned in budget allocation report of 2016).
So, with a HLV in a decade everything, everything will happen slowly.

Wrong, this is small telescope like AstroSat; will be sent along with Cdy-2 lander.

For making a Hubble like Telescope, we need our building blocks for technology. Currently AstroSat, equipments on Aditya L-1, on this small eye on Cdy-2; AstroSat 2 and XPOSat are technological demonstrators for a bigger one.;)
Its crash to have a small telescope on moon,it won't benefit the scientific community,rather it will surely increase the morale of isro scientists.
You should aware of the cost in keeping moon based observatories,the sole reason US doesn't GI to moon after apolo mission is the huge cost involved in it.

Never heard other than adidtya,its a sun observatory in l1 position. Again a space based one.
Please give us the source for astrosat2 ,xposat.

Last edited:
Its crash to have a small telescope on moon,it won't benefit the scientific community,rather it will surely increase the morale of isro scientists.
You should aware of the cost in keeping moon based observatories,the sole reason US doesn't GI to moon after apolo mission is the huge cost involved in it.
Seems that you didn't read my post.

It's not a huge observatory, a small probe with instruments mounted on a lander or rover. You land a rover on; land a small telescope indeed with a short life span. It has no manned operations, but instead of Moon surface, it will send us pictures of space.

Plus you are asking about US? Even China has already used it's Lunar probes Astronomical purpose, nothing new.

And if you are thinking that it's a super sophisticated dedicated observatory, please don't.
Never heard other than adidtya,its a sun observatory in l1 position. Again a space based one.
Please give us the source for astrosat2 ,xposat.
Sure,
http://m.thehindu.com/sci-tech/spac...spark-on-horizon-this-year/article8305303.ece
I got to know about existence of Astrosat 2 in the budget.
http://indiabudget.nic.in/ub2016-17/eb/sbe84.pdf
But launching it in 2020 was my personal rant cuz AstroSat may be inactive by then.:P

http ://defence forumindia.com/forum/threads/indias-deep-space-exploration-observatories-orbital.77402/

Remove the spaces and use the link.
I even know about Cdy-3 and 4.:D
Human Spaceflight program, rumoured to be sheleved, is also moving.
I know that talking about sister forum is a crime on PDF, still.

The envisioned rover mass is just 20 kg,asper wiki and I may be wrong too. Now tell me which telescope in that weight category brings fruitful results in space observation?

The envisioned rover mass is just 20 kg,asper wiki and I may be wrong too. Now tell me which telescope in that weight category brings fruitful results in space observation?
Three points:
1. It may not be launched now but later specially a lander mounted telescope on board GSLV Mk3 on Moon separately.

2. What mass you read on the rover is not finalized (not publicly yet. In fact, even it's not clear that which will be carrier rocket GSLV mk2 or 3?
3. Rumours were there that ISRO is landing two rovers,one can be dedicated or Mount it on the lander.

Three points:
1. It may not be launched now but later specially a lander mounted telescope on board GSLV Mk3 on Moon separately.

2. What mass you read on the rover is not finalized (not publicly yet. In fact, even it's not clear that which will be carrier rocket GSLV mk2 or 3?
3. Rumours were there that ISRO is landing two rovers,one can be dedicated or Mount it on the lander.
What's the advantages of moon based telescope over space based one other than isro's prestige?

What's the advantages of moon based telescope over space based one other than isro's prestige?
What are advantages for India for pursuing space program except Prestige? It's for S&T man.
I told earlier.
Putting telescope on Moon has own merits; deeper space exploration from other angles, no effects of atmospheric refraction and pollutants. Over that, we can research about effects on Moon of outer celestial bodies and make predictions even better.
Moreover, I have a wild guess like you that ISRO may establish a telescope observatory (like we put on Mountains and Sea) in long term.
US has ambitions for cities, Chinese say that they gonna make bases, then, Indians must dream of making at least a building on Moon.

Back
Top Bottom