What's new

ISRO launches Israeli Spy Satellite

abhy

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
ISRO launches Israeli satellite - India PRwire

Israeli satellite Polaris was successfully launched by India's space agency ISRO from this launch centre in southern Andhra Pradesh Monday morning.

'The Israeli satellite was launched at 0915 hours using Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV),' a top official of the Indian Space Research Organisation told IANS over phone from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, about 80 km north of the Tamil Nadu capital Chennai.

'It was a perfect launch in fine weather,' the official added.

The satellite has a payload of 340 kg.

The PSLV has a 'core alone' configuration, only the second time such a configuration has been tried by ISRO. The first time was with the Italian Agile satellite April 2007, with PSLV C-8.

The core-alone PSLV weighs 230 tonnes, and can put satellites up to 600 kg into orbit.

The Polaris is considered a spy satellite by many countries in the Gulf and Pakistan, who were opposed to India carrying out the launch. It was scheduled to go up in September 2007 but had been put off to October. It was then rescheduled again for January 2008.

Wonder why Israel did not use French or US launchers ?

simply cause it cost 11 million/launch lot less then there competitors.

Question that comes to my mind is how is the Iranians going to look at this (Iran India relations).its clearly going to enhance Israels ability to spy on the world.

Since Indian Satellite launching fees is way lower then there US and French counterparts.

US subsidises Israel to the tune of USD 5 Billion yearly in arms, aid, oil etc so why would they not launch a satellite for them. Military satellites are to important to be guided by cheapest quote consideration. There may be hidden agreement between israel and India on the information collected thru this bird.

Regards

There may be hidden agreement between israel and India on the information collected thru this bird.

Regards
That is agiven. But ISRO is garnering business quite steadily for launching sats, as the price per launch here is quite less compared to what US/Europe charge.

Wonder why Israel did not use French or US launchers ?

I think they used an Indian launcher because they wish to expand ties with India. As we all know India and Israel have developed a close relationship, especially in the defense industry in recent years and this is all a part of that relationship.

India defence and agriculture has a close interactivity with Israeli industries.

The Israeli satellite has used an India launcher since it is cheap and the Israeli economy is not quite booming as it used to and so they are trying to save on money matters.

One more important point, this satellite has Synthetic Aperture Radar which can be used to see through clouds, a feature that was desperately required to see the Pakistan Army soldiers holed up in mountains during the Kargil war.

I would not say that the clouds were the reason why the occupation could not be detected in Kargil.

US subsidises Israel to the tune of USD 5 Billion yearly in arms, aid, oil etc so why would they not launch a satellite for them. Military satellites are to important to be guided by cheapest quote consideration. There may be hidden agreement between israel and India on the information collected thru this bird.

Regards

I think US "outsourced" the launch to save money.

simply cause it cost 11 million/launch lot less then there competitors.

Question that comes to my mind is how is the Iranians going to look at this (Iran India relations).its clearly going to enhance Israels ability to spy on the world.

How do you came to know about the cost of 11 million being charge to Isreali by ISRO?

Back
Top Bottom